Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Two people in Aviation with Kids. Does it work?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I did it CHQ by dropping trips, exactly as you mentioned. Pay NO attention to the men on this board trying to tell you what is best for YOU and YOUR baby.

To answer your question, we had an au pair for years and most of them we still stay in touch with after many years. We tried all the other ways (nanny, housekeeper, family, daycare) but found this the best situation for us. Congratulations!

Have you tried a puppy first... to see if you really want to do this whole child thing?

I don't get it? What is so horrible about being at home with children?

If you need to "get out and still have a life" then maybe you aren't ready for the responsibilty of parenting. And maybe you won't appreciate the joys of raising children, they are not assets to acquire in the "keeping up with the Jonses" race of our materialistic society...

Sometimes a person has to choose... If a woman can find a man who wants to be Mr. Mom then go for it....

You just don't get it do you? You obviously work corporate, are not married and no children and have not a clue about a "major" airline. This has nothing to do with money. I don't work for CHQ anymore, and either does my husband. It's the fact that I love my job. And since I'm given the "Freedom" of only flying once a month, than why should I quit once I have kids? I'm not abandoning my child to be a zealous working 30 days in a row flight attendant for money. It's simply that I love my job, want to keep my senority so by the time there older, I can go back.

Jesus.. go raise your own damn kids, and don't tell me how to raise mine.

CHKFA00....you asked us what we thought and everyone responded...so we are answering your question not lecturing.

I have been there. I just had a child 1 year ago and left my career as an airline pilot.

A child should be raised by their parents and not a day care center. If your husband is a pilot, then you dont need to work wheather it is PT or FT.

Why you are asking the public what to do is beyond me. As a responsible adult, you should know you need to stay home with the child. If you dont want to stay home, then you should have never considered having children.

For what purpose, would you go work 2 or 3 trips a month? Your ego..certainly not the money as a F/A...especially of you work for Chataqua.

It is time you grew up and put your child first.

Taysha has no idea what you wrote directly above hers. If she chooses to completely give up her life and play the martyr is no reason that you should do the same.

CHQ, it's really fun once in awhile to meet up with the hubby on a layover and have a great little vacation "ALONE" with him. Enjoy! fyi - your kids will learn that they aren't the center of the universe and you'll get some much needed time away occasionally. Worked for me.

A good rule of thumb is... if you would not leave a person with the keys to your car, your house and your ATM card with pin number, then you sure as heck should not leave your child with them.

For me, the list of folks that could have my car, house, ATM card and pin include:

Mom
Dad
Older sister (not my younger one :)

ummmmm, yeah thats it.

Bottom line is that you have to do what you feel is right for you right now. Many many pilots on this site never thought they would bat an eye at walking out the front door for 12-20 days a month, only to find it to be agonizing once they got married, or even more so, had their first child. Some folks and their families do adjust however and cope just fine. Keep flying if you like, but don't be surprised if it's much more difficult than you thought to leave your baby for three or 5 days a month. If it works for you, then it may be worth it to move closer to family so that your child is always surrounded by people who love it. Whatever your decision, best of luck to you.

Here's what it is...

Say you believe your wife should stay at home with the kids and she agrees. Then, after years of nothing but kids kids kids and having no skills whatsoever, for whatever reason you get divorced. Are you going to b!tch about her taking you to the cleaners???? YES!!!! Because all men do. Well, WTF do you expect? You put someone or yourself in a situation where they are COMPLETELY 100% financially dependent on someone else. How are they supposed to get back to taking care of themselves financially? This is why a stay at home mom or dad needs a back up plan and/or a part time job or SOMETHING so they are not totally screwed when the money tit is gone.

Have you tried a puppy first... to see if you really want to do this whole child thing?

I don't get it? What is so horrible about being at home with children?

If you need to "get out and still have a life" then maybe you aren't ready for the responsibilty of parenting. And maybe you won't appreciate the joys of raising children, they are not assets to acquire in the "keeping up with the Jonses" race of our materialistic society...

Sometimes a person has to choose... If a woman can find a man who wants to be Mr. Mom then go for it....

You just don't get it do you? You obviously work corporate, are not married and no children and have not a clue about a "major" airline. This has nothing to do with money. I don't work for CHQ anymore, and either does my husband. It's the fact that I love my job. And since I'm given the "Freedom" of only flying once a month, than why should I quit once I have kids? I'm not abandoning my child to be a zealous working 30 days in a row flight attendant for money. It's simply that I love my job, want to keep my senority so by the time there older, I can go back.

Don't even bother. He thinks if mommy is not at home with kids 24/7, she is a terrible mother. Well, I just don't give a damn what this guy thinks. He thinks you have to drop your entire life when you have a baby. Of course there are sacrifices to be made but you don't have to end the rest of your life for Pete's sake. Don't even bother with him

Oh and, by the way, Rez, she didn't ask for your opinion, she asked "does it work". The answer is YES! I have talked to many many 2 pilot couples and I have yet to have one of them tell me that I or my fiancee need to quit our jobs. They make it work by opposite schedules and that way one parent is always home. Having grandma or grandpa watch the kid on overlapping days is great IMO....they get to spend time with their grandparents. I sure wish I had more time with mine when I was a kid.

LOL! Not lecturing???? I'd say that's all you are doing. (see bold) Once again, she asked if it works and how do people do it. She didn't ask about working mom vs. stay at home mom. Mind your own business with that crap, people. It's not up to you to decide.

You must have not made it far in aviation if you think just because her husband is a pilot, she doesn't need to work.

CHKFA00....you asked us what we thought and everyone responded...so we are answering your question not lecturing.

I have been there. I just had a child 1 year ago and left my career as an airline pilot.

A child should be raised by their parents and not a day care center. If your husband is a pilot, then you dont need to work wheather it is PT or FT.

Why you are asking the public what to do is beyond me. As a responsible adult, you should know you need to stay home with the child. If you dont want to stay home, then you should have never considered having children.

For what purpose, would you go work 2 or 3 trips a month? Your ego..certainly not the money as a F/A...especially of you work for Chataqua.

It is time you grew up and put your child first.

Don't work corporate, happily married, two kids...

If you love your job, then love your job, but you can't love your job and love your kids at the same time...unless its bring your kid to work day...

The time they are older? What in 20 years? Just because teenagers can wipe and make thier own meals doesn't mean for you to go off on a trip. Teenagers need thier parents more than ever. I recent study showed that teens want to be with thier parents. Not on Xbox, not at the mall and not doing X at some rave party.

You don't get it.......

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back