• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Traffic in sight"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The purpose of the post is apparently working.

People are reading it and now maybe more will not make a useless, cluttering, possible blocking, second radio transmission of "traffic in sight" at FL 370 after the initial acknowlegement. Please continue to spread the word on this thread and thank you all very much.

People are reading it and now maybe more will not make a useless, cluttering, possible blocking, second radio transmission of "traffic in sight" at FL 370 after the initial acknowlegement. Please continue to spread the word on this thread and thank you all very much.

Well then its decided.

I'm going to double my useless, cluttering, possible blocking second radio transmissions now...just to piss off whiny radio nazis like yourself who can't conceptualize the fact your technique doesn't dictate another's procedure.

"Goooooooooooood mornin' Memphis BoilerUP checkin' in wich'ya at flight-level TREE seven zero with the taco rocket above in sight. How you doin'?"

Mach80, you've got a great pokerface.
Thanks for the laughs.

Nope. Instead I'm going to say "Roger Doger there Oakland Center, we got the....ahhhh....is that a 737....yeah....the 737 in sight. Thanks for the heads up."

Threads about radio calls are almost as entertaining as threads about pilot costumes or ALPO. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCsDdIWvx3o

Anal captains should be punished by their FO's. I always did. It was a lot of fun and always hoped when I became a captain I wouldn't drive my FO to that. I was lucky and it never happened. Maybe they were just nicer than me.

When a controller pints out traffic during cruise at the flight levels, he/she is only doing it simply so you won't be startled seeing another aircraft coming at you. After acknowledging the call, it is NOT necessary nor required to make another call to center to report the traffic "in sight". The controller really doesn't care too much.

2008 AIM 5-5-10. Traffic Advisories (Traffic Information)
a. Pilot.
1. Acknowledges receipt of traffic advisories.
2. Informs controller if traffic in sight.
3. Advises ATC if a vector to avoid traffic is desired.
4. Does not expect to receive radar traffic advisories on all traffic. Some aircraft may not appear on the radar display. Be aware that the controller may be occupied with higher priority duties and unable to issue traffic information for a variety of reasons.
5. Advises controller if service is not desired.

b. Controller.
1. Issues radar traffic to the maximum extent consistent with higher priority duties except in Class A airspace.
2. Provides vectors to assist aircraft to avoid observed traffic when requested by the pilot.
3. Issues traffic information to aircraft in the Class B, Class C, and Class D surface areas for sequencing purposes.

Last edited:
As this implies: "3. Advises ATC if a vector to avoid traffic is desired" and 5.Advises controller if service is not desired."
this section was clearly intended for traffic that that the controller isn't controlling and for below 18,000' such as IFR aircraft getting traffic advisories on VFR aircraft.

By the way, the AIM is badly in need of a re-write in many areas.

Last edited:
I would not want to argue intention of the AIM in front an administrative law judge. Besides if the traffic is so busy at FL370 that a friendly sign off is blocking vital transmissions, then maybe RVSM needs to be re-thought.

Latest resources

Back