• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

"Traffic in sight"

Mach 80

Total Time
When a controller pints out traffic during cruise at the flight levels, he/she is only doing it simply so you won't be startled seeing another aircraft coming at you. After acknowledging the call, it is NOT necessary nor required to make another call to center to report the traffic "in sight". The controller really doesn't care too much.

Yesterday there were two blocked transmissions because pilots unecessarily called back to report "traffic in sight". An AA flight bugged INDY center TWICE to let the controller know the traffic was in sight....the second time with great irritation in his voice because he wasn't responded to on the first transmission when it was quite clear the controller was doing some coordination.

Amish RakeFight

Registered Loser
Total Time
Lookie here... it's old man Mach80 with another transmission complaint.

Are you the guy who fills up the suggestion box at Wendy's?

cocknbull

Total Time
When a controller pints out traffic during cruise at the flight levels, he/she is only doing it simply so you won't be startled seeing another aircraft coming at you. After acknowledging the call, it is NOT necessary nor required to make another call to center to report the traffic "in sight". The controller really doesn't care too much.

Yesterday there were two blocked transmissions because pilots unecessarily called back to report "traffic in sight". An AA flight bugged INDY center TWICE to let the controller know the traffic was in sight....the second time with great irritation in his voice because he wasn't responded to on the first transmission when it was quite clear the controller was doing some coordination.

Cool thanks for the info Maverick. You must be a real joy to fly with.

skyaddict

Total Time
I'm "with you", Amish and cocknbull.

regionalcap

Total Time
You just posted this 6 months ago. If you have already posted it, you do not have to keep posting it again and again and again.

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=111692

Extraneous useless radio phrases
Posted my Mach 80
ATC gives you on-coming trafiic above 18,000' solely so you won't get startled by seeing the traffic so there is absolutely no need to call back ATC a minute later to tell him you have him in sight --he doesn't care!

johnboy99

Total Time
Gentlemen,

Don't you know it is not necessary to respond when some anal Captain is taking up valuable server space that could otherwise be used to actually teach us all something useful on Flightinfo center. Then you take up more server space to respond. Geeez

BTW Mach 80,

Reread the first sentence of your gripe, WTF do I do the next time a controller"pints" out traffic to me. Bet you are the same type Captain that says everything is company standard in your initial brief only to reinvent the manual every leg for the next four days. No thanks!!!

Last edited:

say again

I love her ARSE!!!!
Total Time
Get a f@cking life Mach!! Then again, six months is up, so it's time to start your lame-a$$ thread on phraseology. Funny thing is that people don't give a sh!t, we read more for the amusement. Thanks for the laughs.

JFReservist

Total Time
>$$$$$
How does one 'pint' out traffic? I'll see your pint and raise you a fifth!

Cheers.

sat74

Total Time
enough
I must say that standard phraseology is lacking in America. I was flying with a FO the other month who LACKED any idea what standard phraseology was. This might not be a problem in America, but we were in Africa, and the slang did nothing to improve our situation. Now I am not suggesting everyone start calling "three" a "tree" etc, but calling out "traffic in sight" has no place in the ICAO rules of standard phraseology outside of the terminal area, among other useless and very confusing non-standard radio calls. Maybe when you're getting absolutely f%^ked in a non-radar environment like most of Africa will those who bitch about nitpickers take notice. During this month I have never experienced such shockingly poor ATC procedures in my entire career. It was not only embarrassing, but almost got us in serious trouble with conflicting traffic. I now have a newfound appreciation for ICAO standard phraseology. The “rougher than a corn cobb” comments have no place anymore.

grog_sit_reserv

Crashcave Lounger
Total Time
Uknown
What if the previous controller tells you to let the new controller know?

BTW... You're a dick.

ultrarunner

Total Time
If you, as the pilot OR the controller wishes to climb, descend, or turn you reference the traffic, you're going to need to report that traffic in sight.

If no one needs any of those things, then yeah, no need to report when below 180. Naturally, there is no visual separation at 180 and above, so never a reason to report it.

30West

NARF!
Total Time
@8000
I must say that standard phraseology is lacking in America. I was flying with a FO the other month who LACKED any idea what standard phraseology was. This might not be a problem in America, but we were in Africa, and the slang did nothing to improve our situation. Now I am not suggesting everyone start calling "three" a "tree" etc, but calling out "traffic in sight" has no place in the ICAO rules of standard phraseology outside of the terminal area, among other useless and very confusing non-standard radio calls. Maybe when you're getting absolutely f%^ked in a non-radar environment like most of Africa will those who bitch about nitpickers take notice. During this month I have never experienced such shockingly poor ATC procedures in my entire career. It was not only embarrassing, but almost got us in serious trouble with conflicting traffic. I now have a newfound appreciation for ICAO standard phraseology. The “rougher than a corn cobb” comments have no place anymore.

US pilot: Top o' the mornin' Lagos XYZ1234 joinin' ya at three oh oh we got the digits.

Lagos: XYZ1234 seh esteemit nupahm, goolf wheeskee, cahnfahm regeestrehshan mahk, endurrunce, nahmbah on bod.

US pilot: Whut?

whatitdoing?

Are you awake? Good
Total Time
>9500
He's not responding.....I'm thinking he forgot that he posted something. Damn, this is a funny thread!!

zman

Total Time
blowme
US pilot: Top o' the mornin' Lagos XYZ1234 joinin' ya at three oh oh we got the digits.

Lagos: XYZ1234 seh esteemit nupahm, goolf wheeskee, cahnfahm regeestrehshan mahk, endurrunce, nahmbah on bod.

US pilot: Whut?

That is absolutely hilarious!!! Mach is probably not responding cause he went to take his day nap.

Occam's Razor

Risible...ALWAYS risible
Total Time
16K+

Stupid Americans! Ironic that the worst aviation disaster in history was a KLM chief Pilot who tried to take off without a clearance....at a foreign airport.

Thought I'd pint that out to you.

Rez O. Lewshun

Save the Profession
Total Time
X>X

Is that you Doug McCain.... trying to avoid the issue....???

Seriously.... the only two replies are....

1. Negative contact

or

2. Traffic Insight

These are not accpetable

1. lookin'
  2. got 'em on the fishfinder/TCAS
  3. Tally Ho
  4. switchin' to guns
  5. are you going to eat that?

Occam's Razor

Risible...ALWAYS risible
Total Time