• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Traffic in sight"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How does one 'pint' out traffic? I'll see your pint and raise you a fifth!

Cheers.

I must say that standard phraseology is lacking in America. I was flying with a FO the other month who LACKED any idea what standard phraseology was. This might not be a problem in America, but we were in Africa, and the slang did nothing to improve our situation. Now I am not suggesting everyone start calling "three" a "tree" etc, but calling out "traffic in sight" has no place in the ICAO rules of standard phraseology outside of the terminal area, among other useless and very confusing non-standard radio calls. Maybe when you're getting absolutely f%^ked in a non-radar environment like most of Africa will those who bitch about nitpickers take notice. During this month I have never experienced such shockingly poor ATC procedures in my entire career. It was not only embarrassing, but almost got us in serious trouble with conflicting traffic. I now have a newfound appreciation for ICAO standard phraseology. The “rougher than a corn cobb” comments have no place anymore.

If you, as the pilot OR the controller wishes to climb, descend, or turn you reference the traffic, you're going to need to report that traffic in sight.

If no one needs any of those things, then yeah, no need to report when below 180. Naturally, there is no visual separation at 180 and above, so never a reason to report it.

I must say that standard phraseology is lacking in America. I was flying with a FO the other month who LACKED any idea what standard phraseology was. This might not be a problem in America, but we were in Africa, and the slang did nothing to improve our situation. Now I am not suggesting everyone start calling "three" a "tree" etc, but calling out "traffic in sight" has no place in the ICAO rules of standard phraseology outside of the terminal area, among other useless and very confusing non-standard radio calls. Maybe when you're getting absolutely f%^ked in a non-radar environment like most of Africa will those who bitch about nitpickers take notice. During this month I have never experienced such shockingly poor ATC procedures in my entire career. It was not only embarrassing, but almost got us in serious trouble with conflicting traffic. I now have a newfound appreciation for ICAO standard phraseology. The “rougher than a corn cobb” comments have no place anymore.

US pilot: Top o' the mornin' Lagos XYZ1234 joinin' ya at three oh oh we got the digits.

Lagos: XYZ1234 seh esteemit nupahm, goolf wheeskee, cahnfahm regeestrehshan mahk, endurrunce, nahmbah on bod.

US pilot: Whut?

He's not responding.....I'm thinking he forgot that he posted something. Damn, this is a funny thread!!

US pilot: Top o' the mornin' Lagos XYZ1234 joinin' ya at three oh oh we got the digits.

Lagos: XYZ1234 seh esteemit nupahm, goolf wheeskee, cahnfahm regeestrehshan mahk, endurrunce, nahmbah on bod.

US pilot: Whut?

That is absolutely hilarious!!! Mach is probably not responding cause he went to take his day nap.

Stupid Americans! Ironic that the worst aviation disaster in history was a KLM chief Pilot who tried to take off without a clearance....at a foreign airport.

Thought I'd pint that out to you.

When a controller pints out traffic during cruise at the flight levels, he/she is only doing it simply so you won't be startled seeing another aircraft coming at you. After acknowledging the call, it is NOT necessary nor required to make another call to center to report the traffic "in sight". The controller really doesn't care too much.

Yesterday there were two blocked transmissions because pilots unecessarily called back to report "traffic in sight". An AA flight bugged INDY center TWICE to let the controller know the traffic was in sight....the second time with great irritation in his voice because he wasn't responded to on the first transmission when it was quite clear the controller was doing some coordination.

Is that you Doug McCain.... trying to avoid the issue....???

Seriously.... the only two replies are....

1. Negative contact

or

2. Traffic Insight

These are not accpetable

1. lookin'
  2. got 'em on the fishfinder/TCAS
  3. Tally Ho
  4. switchin' to guns
  5. are you going to eat that?

"Was that for us?"

"Hey! Wake up! Dang...where are we?"

"Check out Garfield! He's eating lasagna again!"