• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Traffic in sight"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't know, I thought J-O-B-S being three letters was funny...
...the whole Marxist twist, maybe not so funny.

fwiw, i've been given climb clearances by controllers in a couple of different centers in the US based on a "report passing traffic" from ATC. was in the 30s, traffic was head on each time, and the standard seperation was definitely not applied. i think i've experienced it the most in memphis center, been a couple years since the last time though.

It still goes on and it's a stupid useless habit of some people so in an effort to get the word out the issue was brought up again.

It sometimes creates blockage of a more important transmission all because some guys think it's necessary to make a SECOND transmission to tell the controller that the traffic is in sight. By pointing this out and helping stop it, the far more important transmission not being blocked with this totally useless transmission might be the important one to you. As someone else said, in the flight levels a simple, one time "roger" or thank you" is all that's needed with no follow up transmission.

It also adds to unnecesasary radio clutter just like when people can't seem to acknowledge instructions to go to another frequency without adding the disengenious, stupid, useless "have a good day" or have a nice wekend"...as IF someone needs a reminder or instructions to do so. Think about it. Occasionaly a busy controller is already trying to get his next transmission off but held up for another couple of seconds having to listen to one of these waste of time, stupid, insipid, "have a good weekend"s. Believe me, in busy airspace with constant radio instructions being given, a busy controller doesn't want, nor need, to hear it. Just acknowledge the change and move on and get out of his hair.

Some of you guys have these bad habits SOOO unconsciously ingrained that it's simply become acceptable to you without any thought to them.

Selcal,

What you point out was a somewhat experimental thing some years ago. It was done away with, but if it was still in effect then certainly it would be good to let the controller know whether or not you had the traffic in sight. As things stand now, it makes no difference to the controller if you see the traffic or not.

Oh......I do love the major airline guys who tell a major airport departure control they "are airborne" with their initial transmission as they report out of 1,000'. What a hoot. Almost a tie with "with you" as far as a useless redundant waste of time.

Sorry about the obvious misspelling of "point". I know how to spell it - it was more of a typographical error but glad you had so much fun with it just as a middle school kid would. I wasn't on here earlier to correct or respond because, thankfully, I'm too busy and have much more important priorities than to get on here every single day.

Ok...I'm 'switching' now.

Last edited:
I once flew with a captain that always talked in riddles on the radio and to his crew while flying.

He liked to say out of SJC, we would like to drop the double nickel today on Bay departure. Controller would say who is calling? Walter would say Aircal 126. Controller: say again your request? Walter: we would like to drop the double nickel. Controller: Say again. Walter: We would like to drop the 5,000 ft restriction on SJC 005 degree radial. Controller: approved.

This went on all day. I gave credit to those controllers for their patience. They were happy to deal with pilots who called traffic in sight when it wasn't required. They had to deal with Walter.

Mach 80 is my hero. I love hearing dictations like this. I can only imagine the consequences of his other crewmember saying "in sight". He must be such an inspiration to all he flies with to correct such unprofessional radio technique. RELAX A LOT!!!! Mach 80.....have you seen how many replies are just making fun of you....I mean are you that dense that you can't see why no one on this board would ever want to fly with you. SETTLE DOWN MAN IF YOU WANT TO MAKE IT TO 65.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back