• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Swan Song for Song

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Have you ever met a pilot who thought Song was a good idea?

I haven't.

What is it about being in upper airline management that makes you do stupid things? Airlines inside of airlines don't really work. They dilute the brand name, confuse customers, and cost a bunch of extra money.

It's laughable that 10-to-15 years after Cal Lite, Delta Express, Shuttle by United, MetroJet, Delta and United come up with Song and Ted, which have all the same inherent problems yet don't even try to lower costs.

Most of the idiots on this board, myself included, could have told DAL and UAL management this wouldn't work, so can someone please tell us why these guys deserve half a million dollars every year?

fastbird said:
News is reporting this morning that Delta may eliminate it's internal alter ego carrier Song.

Interesting. Can you provide a link to the report?

You would think that Delta would try to broaden Song domestically (the product is so much better than normal Delta mainline) and then maintain mainline with some improvements for the higher-margin international routes. Having flown on Song myself a few times, I really appreciate the new seats, the IFE and, of course, the younger and less-jaded flight attendants... I'll believe it when I see it.

On Your Six said:

You would think that Delta would try to broaden Song domestically (the product is so much better than normal Delta mainline) and then maintain mainline with some improvements for the higher-margin international routes. Having flown on Song myself a few times, I really appreciate the new seats, the IFE and, of course, the younger and less-jaded flight attendants... I'll believe it when I see it.

Delta says all that will be comming over:

First Class back in (24 seats)
IFE on up to 100 Jets
Same seats
Still the same song type ride

On Your Six said:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051028/ap_on_bi_ge/delta_song

I am a Delta pilot and I admit in the beginning I thought Song was a bad idea. However, I have come around. Song works great, the pax love it, its a good product, and I think it shoud be expanded. The problem is, as I understand it, what really makes Song work are the flight attendants down there. Lets be honest, the mainline flight attendants, well lets just say, are a bit lacking. But the Song flight attendants are fantastic. They really make it a great experiance for the pax. Unfortunately though, Delta is getting ready to furlough about 2500 flight attendants, and since a large number of the flight attendants at Song are the very junior, they will be the ones to go. Take them out of the equation and replace them with your standard mainline flight attendant, and I think you have just eliminated the biggest difference between Song and the mainline. Songs performance would start to decline rapidly. I think management knows this, so its time to just blend it all back into the mainline.

Having said that, what I was told is they have learned some lessons from Song. Specifically, the pax love the TVs, and if they can get approval from the creditors committee, they will be adding them to a bunch of mainline jets. Probably a few other lessons learned from Song. But, its a goner.

AMR may have made a good decision after all....to stay out of the Song, Ted thing.

Speaking of, anyone know how Ted is doing?

I remeber Grinstein saying, shortly after he started, saying something to the effect that with Song, Delta was providing the nicest product (leather seats, TV etc) to their lowest paying passengers. He felt that Delta was a valuable name and it should not be diluted with an alter-ego company. He indicated at the time that the service of Song should be integrated into the mainline service.

Latest resources

Back