• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Swan Song for Song

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's too bad. I've deadheaded on Song a bunch of times. All the flights were thoroughly enjoyable and the crews did a fantastic job.

Back in February, we did JFK-MCO for $59.00 each way on Song. Might be why it's going buh-bye.

michael707767 said:
Unfortunately though, Delta is getting ready to furlough about 2500 flight attendants, and since a large number of the flight attendants at Song are the very junior, they will be the ones to go. Take them out of the equation and replace them with your standard mainline flight attendant, and I think you have just eliminated the biggest difference between Song and the mainline.

I too think SONG was working. Hard to continue as is and probably cheaper to bring back into the fold.

Not trying to hijack the thread...2500 FA furloughs? How many pilots then??

I fly a lot of Song trips and it's a great product. My question was why they were giving this great product away at cut rate prices to the leisure traveller, when they could add some first class and business amenities and get closer to premium rates from it. I guess they answered my question.

I've still got my resumes out though!

you have wrong, Song is absorbing DAL, and then Song will change its name to Delta Airlines and go back into cropdusting in Monroe, LA

i think i have it.....
Delta created Song but kept it in Delta....
Now Song is being killed but kept in Delta...
Delta is staying Delta

FlyBoeingJets said:
Not trying to hijack the thread...2500 FA furloughs? How many pilots then??

Well considering we have had over 2000 pilots retire in the last three years, I think there is a chance we will get by without any pilot furloughs. If there are some, it won't be many.

The Facts!

I think this is a great idea. I hope the FA's will be the new and improved though and not the old hags, that is the biggest challenge I see in this, but I think the VP's in the big building recognize this, the question is how do they do this without getting sued by the FA's.

Medeco

Today, we are announcing another significant step in the transformation of Delta that will set us apart from our competition and give customers another great reason to fly with us first. Beginning in May, 2006, we will merge Song into Delta, creating a new and unique long-haul domestic Song service that will set a new standard in transcontinental travel. This is another way we're providing customers with a fresh and constantly improving passenger experience when they choose Delta.
Simply put, we are incorporating the best of Song into the best of Delta. Here's what we plan to do:
  • Add 26 First Class seats to each of Song's existing fleet of 48 757-200 aircraft, making the service more attractive to business travelers and significantly enhancing revenue opportunities.
  • Convert an additional 50-plus Delta aircraft to two-class Song service, complete with all-leather seating and new interiors throughout.
  • Expand Song's state-of-the-art personal digital in-flight entertainment system to all 100-plus aircraft, with 24 channels of live television, 10 on-demand video channels, interactive video games and MP3 programming that allows customers to create their own play lists from an inventory of more than 1,600 songs.
  • Dedicate this exclusive fleet to all transcontinental Delta routes beginning fall 2006 and expand the service to include all routes over 1750 miles over two years.
  • Raise the bar on customer service in the long-haul domestic market by incorporating Delta's new uniforms, improved snack service, and award-winning SkyMiles program to offer customers the best value in transcontinental travel.
Market research clearly shows that Song has become a customer favorite. Song's route network, however, has been limited to high-density leisure markets. As you know, we recently announced the largest international expansion in Delta's history, which allows us to re-deploy wide-body aircraft from domestic to international. This opens up more profitable opportunities to fly these 757's on other routes within the domestic system, especially if we can offer a two-class configuration. By merging the brands, we will also benefit from a more simplified operation, reduced overhead costs, and more focused marketing resources.
Best of all, we are keeping the best of the Song experience and extending it to more Delta customers. We've already incorporated some of what we've learned from Song into mainline. We've been renewing our interiors with new leather seats, our new service team uniforms roll out early next year, our new snack service is receiving high marks from customers, and we've significantly improved turn times and other processes to make Delta more efficient and customer-friendly. All of this, plus the hard work and attention to customers that only Delta people can provide, has produced 11 consecutive months of year-over-year improvement in customer service ratings on Delta.
To maximize the value of Song's success at Delta, Joanne Smith, president of Song, will become vice president of Consumer Marketing at Delta effective immediately. Joanne will also continue to lead the Song organization through the transition. She and the Consumer Marketing team will take Delta's products and services to the next creative level.
The strength of Delta has always been you, our people, and your strong service ethic. With the right tools and support, we can deliver the kind of service our customers expect and value. You can and should expect us to provide those tools, and to find the resources to make your efforts to improve customer service count. Now, with one of the most innovative and competitive new services to offer our customers, we are in a better position to deliver a steadily improving travel experience for Delta customers.

I knew it! When they came out with that pink color scheme...that was the begining of the end!

I am guessing that the cost of retrofitting and repanting the aircraft has some sort of an advantage when it's done under ch11.

As I thought, Delta will keep the best of Song which is smart. See the article below:

Song to be folded into Delta lines
Airline's own turnaround efforts remove need for separate discount line.
October 28, 2005: 11:09 AM EDT
Friday that it plans to merge its discount airline, Song, into its regular Delta service.
Song, launched in April 2003, will continue to fly as a separate brand until May 2006, and customers will be able to book flights until then. After that, it will become part of Delta.
As part of the restructuring, Delta hopes to merge Song's customer-service features with Delta's potentially more profitable routes.
During the next two years, Delta will adopt many of Song's features into existing Delta lines, including improved amenities, such as leather seats, 24 channels of live television, 10 on-demand video channels, video games and a digital-music library.
"We are incorporating the best of Song into the best of Delta," said Gerald Grinstein, Delta's chief executive officer.
Delta, the nation's No. 3 airline, currently is operating under bankruptcy protection.
Delta launched Song to compete with other low-fare carriers, including JetBlue and Southwest. But it did not have as low a cost structure as those carriers.
Delta (Research) has not broken out results for Song, but the company has not been profitable since 2000.
Though rising jet fuel prices have hurt Delta, that has not been the only problem. Some analysts have said that Delta waited longer than some of its rivals to trim costs. It did not win cost concessions from its pilots union until last October, after paying them the highest wages in the industry under a contract reached months before the Sept. 11 attacks.
In addition to Delta, carriers operating in bankruptcy are United, the No. 2 airline, and Northwest (No. 4). [URL="http://i.cnn.net/money/images/bug.gif"]http://i.cnn.net/money/images/bug.gif[/URL]

Latest resources

Back