SWA took one step closer to being a regional carrier

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotyip said:
And maximizing productivity to preserve pay levels and profitability is a bad thing?

It is if turns your 17 day vacation into a 5 day vacation.

How about preserving profitability by raising the price of the damn ticket!

Nah, just take it out labor.

I don't think the folks at SWA fully understand PBS. That being said, I personally do not know anything about it. I did talk to a NWA pilot the other day and he says "its awesome".

It is a matter of perception, you know when your buddy tells you he is dating a hot woman and when you finally meet her, the word "hot" does not come to mind.

exactly, except he does not have access to that web-site.

USNFDX said:
PBS can be good or really really BAD depending on who is control of the software and the rule sets within. It can keep you 7 day vacation, a 17 day vacation, or it can turn 7 day vacation into a 5 day vacation (if you are a commuter). It all has do with how it's employed, and who is at the controls.

Right. It's not PBS or not PBS that has to do with how much vacation you get, it's the rules you agree to work under.

I'll try again, PBS lets you pick the schedule YOU want to work. How can anyone agree that it's a better idea to let some other guy build a bunch of monthly schedules that don't take into consideration what YOU want, like the ability to commute?

I claim you guys are all arguing the wrong thing. Look up the word "Luddite". PBS is just a different way of arranging the schedule some dude makes for you, it has nothing to do with vacation and only a little to do with productivity. Time off for vacation is simply a parameter that is unrelated to how the montly schedule is produced. Your company RIGHT NOW could give you 7 days of vacation off for 7 days under the current 1970s way you bid a schedule.

But, I assume you have a union contract that allows for more. Why would switching from some dude writing random schedules to you writing your own change your contract on vacation?

Again, time to enter....the eighties.

I don't even know why I'm arguing this, I guess it just makes me nuts when people on flightinfo spout off about stuff that they have NO EXPERIENCE WITH and try to tell the rest of us HOW IT IS.

One last time: PBS lets you build YOUR OWN schedule. Otherwise, you BID A RANDOM SCHEDULE SOME DUDE GENERATES. Why in holly hades would you let some dude make your schedule for you? And then defend that position? "I want as LITTLE CONTROL as I can get over my schedule."

Vacation and time off are completely unrelated to PBS, those are just the rules you work under, assuming you have a union.

radarlove said:
Right. It's not PBS or not PBS that has to do with how much vacation you get, it's the rules you agree to work under.

I'll try again, PBS lets you pick the schedule YOU want to work. How can anyone agree that it's a better idea to let some other guy build a bunch of monthly schedules that don't take into consideration what YOU want, like the ability to commute?

I claim you guys are all arguing the wrong thing. Look up the word "Luddite". PBS is just a different way of arranging the schedule some dude makes for you, it has nothing to do with vacation and only a little to do with productivity. Time off for vacation is simply a parameter that is unrelated to how the montly schedule is produced. Your company RIGHT NOW could give you 7 days of vacation off for 7 days under the current 1970s way you bid a schedule.

But, I assume you have a union contract that allows for more. Why would switching from some dude writing random schedules to you writing your own change your contract on vacation?

Again, time to enter....the eighties.

I don't even know why I'm arguing this, I guess it just makes me nuts when people on flightinfo spout off about stuff that they have NO EXPERIENCE WITH and try to tell the rest of us HOW IT IS.

One last time: PBS lets you build YOUR OWN schedule. Otherwise, you BID A RANDOM SCHEDULE SOME DUDE GENERATES. Why in holly hades would you let some dude make your schedule for you? And then defend that position? "I want as LITTLE CONTROL as I can get over my schedule."

Vacation and time off are completely unrelated to PBS, those are just the rules you work under, assuming you have a union.

How much experience do you have with PBS?

While I will agree with you that there is more to PBS than just vacation, vacation could be significantly impacted (at least at Fedex) depending on how it is employed. We enjoy "conflicting" trips with our vacation, allowing for real vacation. PBS software can be manipulated so that there is no conflict. We do this with training and carry in as well.

With PBS you dont "Simply pick the trips that you want to fly" and "Build your own schedule" You make a series of preferences 1...2....3... etc and based on your preferences and seniority the computer builds you a line. How well it works depends on seniority and the parameters that are programed into the software ("rule sets")

Again, the company wants PBS so that they may extract as much work out of your hyde! It will build you a line that works for them, not YOU!

It does work well at NWA. But my understanding is that they have hard and fast "rule sets" that have been negotiated and can't be changed or "Tweeked" by the company without Union authorization. This may change for them, particulary if their contract is thrown out.

Raise the ticket process that’s a good one. USNFDX has the answer, lets raise ticket prices, it will have no effect upon load factors, because prices have nothing to do with load factors. Is that not SWA niche, prices no one can match and be profitable. So this way SWA dominates the market in that city pair and prevents competitors from getting into that market. So SWA will raise prices and take that chance in their market dominance to ensure their pilots don’t have to do anything they do not want to. SWA profits and pilot lifestyle are not interrelated at all, it is only that nasty ole management picking a new way to stick to labor? It that the new SW battle cry?

I've worked under several different bidding systems and PBS gave the most consistant flexibility.

If I remember, Fedex instituted the optimizer (sodomizer) back when you only had 50% or so union membership which then shot to 97% after two months of getting sodomized. That just goes back to whether or not your union negotiates benefits, not what type of schedule organizing software you use.

I've seen a friend's bid at SWA, he gets to chose what three days he wants to work each week all month. Too bad if he needs one of those days off in the middle of the month, if he does he has to wait and see if the trip he really wanted shows up in company available or whatever they call it.

It's an ancient system and I got the same answer as to why the pilots put up with it that I got when I asked why they turned off the EFIS and system display functions on their new airplanes.

To me, it's just weird, but whatever. Maybe they know more than everyone else, maybe the 70's were the greatest decade ever.

Last edited:
Radarlove,

I don't think you understand what they are trying to tell you about PBS. It could be the greatest scheduling system in the world however our union has historically overlooked important details that end up screwing us in the end. Management has always negotiated better than unions because unions don't hire professional negotiatiors for whatever reason. Probably because pilots "know it all".

Knowing that fact we don't want it.

7S3W7A said:
We just implemented our new work rule changes that a whole 30% of the pilots voted on and deleted many days off that we once enjoyed while not increasing our daily productivity one bit.

Hey, think of it this way.....

...you could be on furlough, or worse yet, have a regular job....

Latest resources

Back