SWA took one step closer to being a regional carrier

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotyip said:
DH2WN you chose the airline pilot life style, anyone can fly an airplane, although SWA is tuff to get in with and there is an element of luck and timing which often is greater than skill and desire, you are lucky to be at SWA. If you envy management you need to go into management. I miss being a line pilot; I really do not have anywhere near the free time I did when I flew the line at other airlines. I have not restored a car in 8 years, I am lucky to keep one student in my airplane, and my flying on the weekends for the museum really straps my free time. I had much more quality time at home when I was a line pilot.

you missed the point of the posts...

I'm glad I read this thread BTW...... You guys reminded me to bid!

I took a quick look at the lines for Feb, and they don't look too bad for a non vacation month. Lots of 3 days in MCO. They look better than Jans lines, but I haven't dug all the way through to the bottom feeder stuff....yet....

Unfortunately, I am trying to maximize vacation time, and I need 4 days for that! Oh well......

Yo 7S3W7A, any real pilot worth his stripes understands that Feb is a bad month to compare. PHX has 98 lines with 17 days off in only a 28 day month. The idea behind the test was variety. If you don't want one of the higher paying lines then don't bid it or if you get one give away a few days. Good luck at FedEx, you should get there right in time for the strike, and you'd look good on the panel.

Haven't looked thru other bases, but there are a few 14 day off lines, reserve has the 13. You have to be super junior or DAL based to see these. We'll see in Mar.

For those wanring to punch and go to FEDeX, goodluck, especially since they won't hire a guy currently with a major unless they recently changed that rule again. Hey look interview info actually showed up on a thread-whether it is correct or old info.

airlinepilot said:
PBS is NOT what we want at SWA. It will take away all the freedom we have to change our schedule, make more money and will change the vacation system as we know it. I have used PBS at another carrier and I can tell you that all the trips are given out and there is no room for change. We have lived with overlap problems and still get the job done each month. I think everyone will agree that at SWA you have the ability to expand your vacation, or change your schedule thru ELITT, giveaway or trade and you also have the option of making lots more money.....PBS makes sure all the trips are assigned, not overlap problems and it will make sure you get off the day before your vacation starts. PBS would turn our current system upside down.......the only ones that would be happy with PBS are the top 20 percent. PSB is not what we need in any shape or form.

I am in the top 20 percent and I "DONT" want PBS! I havent heard anything good about it either. You can bet you bottom dollar that this is going to be a very hot topic in this next section 6.

I met a United pilot a few months back down in the workout room in the hotel. He was in the top 5 percent in his base and he hates PBS! He said he would go back to there old system in a heart beat. With PBS there would be no overlap issues! No extended vactions/ VJA opportunaties etc if thats what you want. Not for me! YMMV

I have a buddy with American...He has had 367 days off straight...course the pay has been less than he would like. I think I can live with only getting 17 days off a month.

PBS would kill any flexibility we have in our schedules. I prefer to make my lines better through elitt or trip/trade. I don't want the company trying make my lines better.

DH2WN,

I didn't take your post as whining at all...hope I didn't imply that....the info flow was less than what most would've liked....in hindsight I think that was a sin of omission, not commission....we'll see how Feb & Mar goes, & then we'll see how the open time trips work as a solution to "productivity". Good luck on finding the lines you want....it is difficult though to tell what the "group" wants when changes are made to the scheduling process but only a small percentage vote & yet there is still criticism about "trying" new things to squeeze more out of the flying scheduling gurus....if there was an easy fix it would've occurred by now....does anyone think we have a system that couldn't be improved? I'm hopeful we'll find some choices the majority of folks can live with....until then we'll continue the test & see what happens. Thanks for the dialogue....cheers,

Why does everyone want to "tar and feather" a guy who says he wants to quit his airline and go elsewhere? If several people say "no more" and walk somewhere else, what does that say to management? That is the ultimate vote of "no confidence" in the current situation.

Several folks have left JetBlue for Fedex in the last year. When the cost analysts have to look at amortizing training costs for replacement workers verses slight increases in pay and benefits, eventually if enough people leave it puts pressure on companies to keep salaries and benefits up.

I think the chance of anyone leaving SWA for another carrier is pretty slim--but again--if a guys leaves you may move up a peg and at least someone is sending a signal there are issues which could be improved.

AlbieF15 said:
Why does everyone want to "tar and feather" a guy who says he wants to quit his airline and go elsewhere? If several people say "no more" and walk somewhere else, what does that say to management? That is the ultimate vote of "no confidence" in the current situation.

Several folks have left JetBlue for Fedex in the last year. When the cost analysts have to look at amortizing training costs for replacement workers verses slight increases in pay and benefits, eventually if enough people leave it puts pressure on companies to keep salaries and benefits up.

I think the chance of anyone leaving SWA for another carrier is pretty slim--but again--if a guys leaves you may move up a peg and at least someone is sending a signal there are issues which could be improved.

Don't forget Albie that this pilot you are talking about is upset about something that doesn't seem to exist in full.

And most important, doesn't seem to work for the company he is saying he is leaving.

You are defending someone who is full of sh!t.

...I'm not defending HIM, just saying whenever a guy says he is leaving company X the locals get all upset. My point is guys quitting is the most personal of work actions. I've heard and seen guys leave one company for another several times this year...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back