SWA took one step closer to being a regional carrier

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

7S3W7A

For those who are contemplating going to jetBlue, FedEx, UPS, vs SWA go to the first three.

We just implemented our new work rule changes that a whole 30% of the pilots voted on and deleted many days off that we once enjoyed while not increasing our daily productivity one bit.

We are now a regional carrier and I've just dusted off my logbook to apply to FedEx.

While I voted against this, I will remind you this is a TEST for a few months. If it's a bad deal the voter turnout will be higher and it will go away. BTW, I can only assume you're one of the 30% that voted. If not, you have no room to complain.

As far as dusting off your logbook......... good luck bro. I hope you make an informed decision. Hopefully you're senior to me:)

Gup

Some other info....

I won't argue for or against the changes that are being "tested" & referred to by 7S3W7A...the data collected during this "test" is to be reviewed by a Joint Scheduling Committee that will monitor the very objections/concerns that 7S3W7A refers to. NONE OF THESE CHANGES ARE PERMANENT. It is a for a prescribed time, 2 months. There will be another "test" period that will impliment the changes the union feels would be more productive, putting more of the flying in open time with rigs thereby providing a monetary incentive to pick up flying. THIS IS ALSO NOT PERMANENT. The data will be compared between the two "test" periods.....additionally if the members voice enough complaints about it, the entire test can be eliminated with only one party making it happen.

None of these "test periods" become a permanent part of the contract so therefore the status quo returns in Aug (I think that is correct) & remains in effect until the new contract is resolved. 7S3W7A please make your concerns known to your domicile rep & let them both know of your concerns. FEDEX is a great company, if you believe it would serve your best interest to go there I'd encourage you to make that decision. I would disagree that work rules that are "temporary" make SWA QOL similar to regional jet companies....the folks I know that work at regionals don't have near the time off that most of our lines (even with the changes) have off.

I understand your frustration but painting it with the hyperbole brush doesn't accurately give persons who are unfamiliar with SWA an accurate picture in my opinion. Work days have been increased for some, we'll see if productivity (flt ops definition) actually increases as the proponents have stated. cheers,

Well, Chase, the regional I was at years ago had a distribution of 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, and 12 days off respectively. The enjoyment of going to a major was better pay and schedules. We have better pay but now our schedules are very much the same except we stop at 13 days off which was once 15.

I voted no but my mind set wasn't that we would be losing this many days off. I was willing to accept the outcome for the good of all. However, the outcome is over reaching. I now will have no extra time to pick up open time and my daily productivity / monthly guarantee is exactly the same. i.e. We lost days off and money.

We were lied to by the union and got royally screwed... If this is the will of the pilot group then I'm behind it 100% but the fact no one votes or just 30% kills me. Our union is in bed with the company and while beneficial during hard economic times such as this, they are too far under the sheets with them

Last edited:
chase said:
Work days have been increased for some, .....

How can you say some? When most lines lose 3 days off then it's definitely not some.

If you want people to have an accurate description of SWA then you shouldn't be using such broken language to depict quantitative numbers which affect more than 10% of the pilot group. Which again is another number that was clearly falsified by the union.

I'm very new at the company but during all the debating I got lost in the numbers game. Why didn't the union put out mock lines so we could SEE what 31 was going to produce? Is it because they didn't really want us to know or is it impossible to put out such a document? My impression of what 31 was supposed to be like and what it really is, is as distant as the sun is to pluto.

I hope we get to vote on the permanency of this 31 letter. I will be very disappointed if we can't. As a reservist, I will have 2 less days to pick up second year pay which pretty much wipes me out for the month, unless I want to get a divorce. Most of the 3 day lines are gone and replaced with 4 day lines. Those extra days of 2nd year pay were my bread and butter for the month. Now they are gone.

I hate to say it but it's the first time at SWA that I'm soured.

Last edited:
I love how any hint of internal disent throws some SWA guys into a frantic tizzy. Nobody is perfect. If your airline screwed you, then welcome to the club. It doesn't make you bad./stupid people. It's not a personal attack. It's just reality. Just count your lucky stars that it's temporary. My A-hole company stole over 33% of my income via an arbittraition decision that was made decades ago, only to then turn around and post triple hundred million dollar profits for the 3rd quarter.

Like it or not, SWA is holding a line for the profession. I know that many SWA guys figured that they were not actually participating in the same game as the rest of us. Let this company deal be a warning shot across the bow. I'm not saying go out and hate your company, just make sure you're not wearing any blinders either...

You guys need to compare Feb to Feb. Feb is always a tough month here. That being said, I am disappointed with the lies also. The union wanted pilots to be able to pick up out of open time (with rigs!) and the company wanted more work days in the lines. The test was designed to show each group what the effects of each change would be. As I see it we gave scheduling an inch of rope and they have hung themselves with it. There is now zero chance I'll vote yes on a contract with increased workday targets.

Latest resources

Back