SWA took one step closer to being a regional carrier

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
7S3W7A said:
For those who are contemplating going to jetBlue, FedEx, UPS, vs SWA go to the first three.

We just implemented our new work rule changes that a whole 30% of the pilots voted on and deleted many days off that we once enjoyed while not increasing our daily productivity one bit.

We are now a regional carrier and I've just dusted off my logbook to apply to FedEx.

With all respect to pax carriers...please do not compare us to you! We are just freight dogs. I am sure Jetblue is a great company also..but do not compare us to them either...we are just freight dogs! Later in this thread we are compared to Home Depot! Please do not compare us to them! We are just freight dogs!

It really sucks to go to work and just carry boxes...no smiling passenger faces telling me what a great landing I just had..It also sucks when I have a two week long trip and just get two weeks off afterward. Then I bid a week vacation and end up with 30 days off in a row...exactly, home with the wife and kids for that long!!! It sucks!!!! Why can't I go to work for just 3 days? So what if I spend 2 days commuting for each trip; I will still be home for 24 hours in a row...One day I will grow up to be a real airline pilot!

Benhuntn said:
PBS would kill any flexibility we have in our schedules. I prefer to make my lines better through elitt or trip/trade. I don't want the company trying make my lines better.

Spoken like somebody with truly no idea of how preferential bidding works.

PBS increases flexibility by allowing you to choose the trips and put together a schedule instead of the company. Why would you think some random schedule generating dude can put together a better monthly schedule than you can? Pilots are always their own best schedulers.

I have no idea what elitt is, must be a LUV thing.

You SWA guys are so afraid of the future. I'm surprised you even use computers to bid. It might be time to enter the...eighties.

It really sucks to go to work and just carry boxes...no smiling passenger faces telling me what a great landing I just had..It also sucks when I have a two week long trip and just get two weeks off afterward. Then I bid a week vacation and end up with 30 days off in a row...exactly, home with the wife and kids for that long!!! It sucks!!!! Why can't I go to work for just 3 days? So what if I spend 2 days commuting for each trip; I will still be home for 24 hours in a row...One day I will grow up to be a real airline pilot!

??? What are you trying to say?

Radar, The one thing I will NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, consider is PBS if it turns my 7 day vacation into a 7 day vacation. Last month I had 18 days off with a 7 day vacation bid.

Can you get 3 weeks off with a one week vacation award if you have PBS?

Gup

GuppyWN said:
Radar, The one thing I will NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, consider is PBS if it turns my 7 day vacation into a 7 day vacation. Last month I had 18 days off with a 7 day vacation bid.

Can you get 3 weeks off with a one week vacation award if you have PBS?

Gup

PBS is unrelated to vacation. It's just a way to pick the trips you want to fly and put them into your monthly schedule.

Vacation is handled differently at different companies. Bid your line on PBS, then overlay vacation pn top, what's wrong with that?

With PBS you get the month of trips you want, instead of the month of trips that some guy who doesn't know you puts together.

radarlove said:
PBS is unrelated to vacation. It's just a way to pick the trips you want to fly and put them into your monthly schedule.

Vacation is handled differently at different companies. Bid your line on PBS, then overlay vacation pn top, what's wrong with that?

With PBS you get the month of trips you want, instead of the month of trips that some guy who doesn't know you puts together.

One of the main reasons that the company wants PBS is to turn 7 days of vacation into a 7 day vacation. As it stands now, it is very easy to turn 7 days into 17 (it used to be around 20-22. the best I ever got was 26, but the crew sodomizer figured out how to mess with it in the last year or so, or I am just unlucky in choosing vacation months). With PBS, it will build lines that end on Sat night, and start on the next Sunday, negating this current negotiated benefit.

There is NO WAY that I would ever vote for PBS at SWA. The problem with PBS is that the devil is truly in the details, and we, as a group, have a bad track record of not ironing out the gray areas before voting on contract issues, and we end up getting screwed by the fine print.

Why does scheduling need a "policy handbook" to decipher the gray areas of the contract? The contract IS the policy manual.

PBS would be an absolute disaster to our QOL.

MD-11 Pilot said:
With all respect to pax carriers...please do not compare us to you! We are just freight dogs. I am sure Jetblue is a great company also..but do not compare us to them either...we are just freight dogs! Later in this thread we are compared to Home Depot! Please do not compare us to them! We are just freight dogs!

A total of 6 posts and you come up with this gibberish! I didn't see any previous post in this thread that attacked the freight dogs and required you to throw out a rather weak defense. As I see it you don't even have a dog in this fight. We have it good - for now - on the box side of the house. Enjoy your job and be humble. You're making the rest of us "freight dogs" look bad.:(

radarlove said:
Spoken like somebody with truly no idea of how preferential bidding works.

PBS increases flexibility by allowing you to choose the trips and put together a schedule instead of the company. Why would you think some random schedule generating dude can put together a better monthly schedule than you can? Pilots are always their own best schedulers.

I have no idea what elitt is, must be a LUV thing.

You SWA guys are so afraid of the future. I'm surprised you even use computers to bid. It might be time to enter the...eighties.

Actualy Radarlove You have NO idea what your talking about.

PBS can be good or really really BAD depending on who is control of the software and the rule sets within. It can keep you 7 day vacation, a 17 day vacation, or it can turn 7 day vacation into a 5 day vacation (if you are a commuter). It all has do with how it's employed, and who is at the controls.

If the company (SWA, Fedex, .....) want's PBS, it's not to make your life better....IT IS TO MAXIMIZE PRODUCTIVITY, and YOU ARE NOT GOING TO LIKE IT!

Sure you can negotiate the rule sets, but in the end, as tripower stated, 'Th e devil is in the details' and the company is better when it comes to details.

And maximizing productivity to preserve pay levels and profitability is a bad thing?

Latest resources

Back