• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA took one step closer to being a regional carrier

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
oooppss, I was just trying out my new signature.

Last edited:
Guppiedriver said:
Everybody is afraid of PBS, because of the unknown.

I agree with you there. It seems that many of the Captains I have flown with that are Anti-PBS, are the very same ones that cannot figure out the OPC or the FMC. Change, whether better or worse, would severely affect these people. My wife uses PBS at her carrier, and it the only thing that has helped us fly opposite lines for the past 10 years. Also, PBS at SWA could change your vacation bonus depending on what base you are at. It seems that the company can get you back to base from anywhere if you are based in MDW, but other bases are not as easy. Others who have used PBS in the past are either very for, or very against. Much of this is due to their former carriers. Some used the K-Tel version of PBS, where others have used much nicer systems. The Ex-TWA pilots I have flown with are the most supportive of it. I have heard that the NWA system is one of the best, maybe an NWA pilot could chime in. The bottom line for me is I don't think that our Union leadership has the skills to effectively negotiate a top notch system. Unfortunately for us, and obviously the company, it would not go far in a vote (possibly the first 100% turnout:rolleyes: )

canyonblue said:
I agree with you there. It seems that many of the Captains I have flown with that are Anti-PBS, are the very same ones that cannot figure out the OPC or the FMC.
Wait until we get EFB......If I hear one more time (using a gruff voice), "In the -200 we never had that crap and I don't need it now....)

(gruff voice) "Ugh, it's time to descend didn't you do the math." ---Um, no Capt. if you look at the FMC we still have 5 miles to go.--- "F- that FMC crap. In the -200....."

Dime to a dollar when EFB comes you are still going to see Capts. carrying their own jepps around.

canyonblue said:
I have heard that the NWA system is one of the best, maybe an NWA pilot could chime in. The bottom line for me is I don't think that our Union leadership has the skills to effectively negotiate a top notch system. Unfortunately for us, and obviously the company, it would not go far in a vote (possibly the first 100% turnout:rolleyes: )

Heyas Canyon,

As I mentioned before, we have PBS at NWA, and everyone loves it.

We use to have a system of hard lines. Every month, a bid list would come out, and next to your name was a time. This time was a 5 minute window where you could call and place your bid with a "bid anaylst". He/she would tell you want lines were still available or you could construct a line out of open flying. Or if you wern't going to be available during your window, you left a computer bid with just a list of choices.

Guys in MSP could bid in person. The room looked somewhat like a commodity trading pen, with big matrixes of lines, and phones for guys to call in and see whats left.

As you can imagine, this whole process was ridiculously complicated, time and personel intensive.

The PBS system works so much better, there isn't even a comparason. Our system leaves pages and pages of open time, which we are free to swap with. There are always guys who have whole months of unavailabilty (mil leave, instructors, union leave, etc), and all that flying remains. So much in fact, that we have contract language that blocks the company from withholding MORE than 5% of the trips from the bidding pool.

But the nice thing about PBS is you get to pick your trips (or type of trips) right out of the chute. Want high value trips? Use the AWARD AVDAILY CREDIT command with a high daily value. Don't like short overnights? Use the AVOID LAYOVER < XXXX command. You get good trips at the start, and you just don't have to fuss with your schedule afterword. I think I've used a trip swap all of about 4 times since we started using PBS 6 years ago.

I've also turned 7 days of vacation in 18-20 days off. Heck, I turned 3 days of vacation into 21 days off (my personal best).

Oh, yea, another good part. We get our schedules earlier to boot. Bidding deadline is 0400 on the 12th, and you usually have your schedule by the 14th.

This doesn't come without effort on the union side, however. We have a standing "computer bidding committee" who's job it is to oversee the process, monitor the results, and follow up on questions. Lots of volunteers help smooth the process at first. For obvious computer foul ups, there is a bidding error process, and the company has always been more than fair about (and this is NWA we're talking about).

Nu

Whoah there big fella. Here some guy who has never seen the computer screen layout of a PBS program telling you that "All the trips get assigned!", and that "Seven days of vacation equals seven days off!", and here you go telling him about your real experience.

Sheesh, next you'll be telling him that "You know, Vnav really works pretty well on those 'descend via' arrivals' and his head will explode, because lord knows you have to glue a cover over the Vnav button as soon as a new airplane shows up at LUV.

radarlove said:
"You know, Vnav really works pretty well on those 'descend via' arrivals' and his head will explode, because lord knows you have to glue a cover over the Vnav button as soon as a new airplane shows up at LUV.

Now in all fairness, that "Drag Required" in the scratchpad, followed by the inevitable VNAV disconnect can also be as much a pain sometimes. But I agree that the "Seven days of vacation equals seven days off!" mantra has been unfairly spewed around here.

Guppiedriver said:
If I understand what your saying.....you have been getting extra days off because your current bidding system doesn't recognize that you have vacation, training, or carry in trips? Then the trips that are in conflict with those events are dropped? I see why SWA wants PBS.

And you should see why pilots at SWA wouldn't. ;) With these extra days you either take QOL or you pick up open time, often at 1.5x rates for extra pay. Also our bids are done and out on the 11th-12th each month and the ability to change the line ourselves remains massive for the remainder of the month and into the month in question also. Your system at NWA before PBS sounds like a nightmare but we are eating cake here already so what you feel are PBS's strong points may not offset some of our losses to QOL and pay because of PBS.

Last edited:
NuGuy said:
Heyas Canyon,

As I mentioned before, we have PBS at NWA, and everyone loves it.

We use to have a system of hard lines. Every month, a bid list would come out, and next to your name was a time. This time was a 5 minute window where you could call and place your bid with a "bid anaylst". He/she would tell you want lines were still available or you could construct a line out of open flying. Or if you wern't going to be available during your window, you left a computer bid with just a list of choices.

Guys in MSP could bid in person. The room looked somewhat like a commodity trading pen, with big matrixes of lines, and phones for guys to call in and see whats left.

As you can imagine, this whole process was ridiculously complicated, time and personel intensive.

The PBS system works so much better, there isn't even a comparason. Our system leaves pages and pages of open time, which we are free to swap with. There are always guys who have whole months of unavailabilty (mil leave, instructors, union leave, etc), and all that flying remains. So much in fact, that we have contract language that blocks the company from withholding MORE than 5% of the trips from the bidding pool.

But the nice thing about PBS is you get to pick your trips (or type of trips) right out of the chute. Want high value trips? Use the AWARD AVDAILY CREDIT command with a high daily value. Don't like short overnights? Use the AVOID LAYOVER < XXXX command. You get good trips at the start, and you just don't have to fuss with your schedule afterword. I think I've used a trip swap all of about 4 times since we started using PBS 6 years ago.

I've also turned 7 days of vacation in 18-20 days off. Heck, I turned 3 days of vacation into 21 days off (my personal best).

Oh, yea, another good part. We get our schedules earlier to boot. Bidding deadline is 0400 on the 12th, and you usually have your schedule by the 14th.

This doesn't come without effort on the union side, however. We have a standing "computer bidding committee" who's job it is to oversee the process, monitor the results, and follow up on questions. Lots of volunteers help smooth the process at first. For obvious computer foul ups, there is a bidding error process, and the company has always been more than fair about (and this is NWA we're talking about).

Nu

I am not one of those "I dislike PBS" folks. Never used it. But I have seen much less flexible options elsewhere. PBS for you is like offering a Ritz cracker to someone living on Saltines.

PBS could make our line better to begin with, but we are all happy with our ability to "fix" our schedules after the lines come out. I really believe we stand to gain next to nothing and take a risk of losing most of our current flexibility moving to to PBS. There are better ways to get more productivity and reduce overlap. This PBS is just a negotiating tactic. I hope we come to agreement soon on overlap.

You should understand that when I get a line at SWA I can trade a pairing for others unassigned in ELITT (instant trade on computer) until I get the days off I want. I can trade AM's for PM's, or pack all my flying close together and get 8 days off in a row. I can even trade down to a reduced line and get extra time off (which is why SWA management wants more productivity).

I can pick up trips or give them away to other pilots with our other option, trip trade. Then I have another option called daily open time and can pick up last minute flying (assigned by seniority and bid by 0900 the day prior)

We also have EF (Extra Fly list) and the company will call us and offer a trip. We can turn it down or take it.

Someone tell me PBS is more flexible. SWA is good to the pilots and I hope it stays that way

Last edited:
FlyBoeingJets said:
We also have EF (Extra Fly list) and the company will call us and offer a trip. We can turn it down or take it.

Being new to the company I can tell you the EF/VJA/JA is the worst convoluted system ever. Why not have one freaking list? This whole answer the phone and scream out, "Take me off VJA. Okay, what's up?" If the company wants people to pick stuff up get rid of the 5 day requirement and make one time and a half list. Sometime this resistent to change hurts more than helps.

There are some ancient processes here that boggle my mind.

Latest resources

Back