• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA pool is starting to drain!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Very true. Some Southwest pilots still think they will have a say in the SLI, which isn't true. Their lawyers will present their views, and the arbitrator will decide the outcome.

I think you guys may be surprised at how many SWA pilots welcome arbitration. I think we have a very strong case. In the long run it might be best for us all. We will each argue for what we think is fair, and arbitrator decides. Then we can move forward as ONE group.

For me when the SLI is over, it is over. I will not make work miserable for everyone I am around. No matter how it works out, I work for a great company and am happy to be here.

Fantastic!, another brother has joined the, "Church of the Painful Truth"!

I love how the AAI acquisition is such a great deal for Kharma Police that he literally has sunlight beaming from his crotch, yet he's just giddy with excitement to remind us SWA folks of the painful reckoning we have in store.

You may be right about our future agony, but don't rub it in fercrissakes. That's bad karma.

Last edited:
Very true. Some Southwest pilots still think they will have a say in the SLI, which isn't true. Their lawyers will present their views, and the arbitrator will decide the outcome.

It is amazing to me that some AAI pilots think an SLI award through arbitration is a sure thing. There will be no SLI or Arbitration if the operations are not combined. M/B only applies if the operations are combined. I suspect Mr. Kelly will let things run their course and see if a deal can be reached outside of arbitration. An SLI outside of arbitration may be the only hope for a combined operation in the end. Mr. Kelly isn't going to flush 40 years of success and labor peace for 1700 AirTran pilots. It just isn't going to happen.

I hope our Union guys are up to the task.

I love how the AAI acquisition is such a great deal for Kharma Police that he literally has sunlight beaming from his crotch, yet he's just giddy with excitement to remind us SWA folks of the painful reckoning we have in store.

You may be right about our future agony, but don't rub it in fercrissakes. That's bad karma.

I think it's a big deal for everyone involved. Start dealing with things you can control, like not looking like Slingblade. If you don't like the idea of this acquisition then go complain to Gary Kelly and tell him why you, the line FO with the big picture is smarter than him or Wall Street.

Last edited:
The big variable is what roughneck speaks of. I really don't see Gary allowing this to turn into USair vs. West. He'd rather not have the deal in the end and run two seperate ops in the meantime. He won't flush 40yrs of history.

But with the massive windfall on the Airtran side, I'm still not worried.

Hey Kharma... the painful truth is your gonna lose some realitive seniority with regard to your HUGE financial windfall.

Explain to me how you get to have a 7,000.00 a month pay bump and don't give up at least some realitve seniority. Ain't gonna happen, even with arbitration.

Question for the SWA guys..................How upset would you guys be if this went straight DOH? I, being Airtran, certainly would hope for better, but im curious on what you guys think. My guess is many on this forum(SWA folks) would think that even DOH is unfair. If DOH was awarded, please explain how a single SWA pilot would be negatively affected.

I think it's a big deal for everyone involved. Start dealing with things you can control, like not looking like Slingblade. If you don't like the idea of this acquisition then go complain to Gary Kelly and tell him why you, the line FO with the big picture is smarter than him or Wall Street.

Don't you say another word about that CEO. Fact'o business, don't you say another word to me. I ain't listening to you no more.

Now I'm gonna get me some french fried potaters.
. ;)

The big variable is what roughneck speaks of. I really don't see Gary allowing this to turn into USair vs. West. He'd rather not have the deal in the end and run two seperate ops in the meantime. He won't flush 40yrs of history.

But with the massive windfall on the Airtran side, I'm still not worried.

Hey Kharma... the painful truth is your gonna lose some realitive seniority with regard to your HUGE financial windfall.

Explain to me how you get to have a 7,000.00 a month pay bump and don't give up at least some realitve seniority. Ain't gonna happen, even with arbitration.

I'm in the top half of the AirTran list. I don't expect to be in the upper half of the combined list but if it happens it happens. Anything other than a staple (which I know many of you would love to do) would put me ahead. So, I will continue being happy doing what I'm doing and after the new list comes out I will continue to do the same.

funnyman,

SWAPA and the AAI MEC have asked for each group to refrain from posting opinions on specific proposals. While that "suggestion" hasn't kept those on both sides of the fence from posting views and opinions, my suggestion would be to watch with interest and entertainment as others disregard their respective unions suggestions and know that whatever results in terms of SLI, you and your fellow AAI pilots will be welcomed at SWA and will be better off financially and professionally by joining forces with your soon to be SWA brothers and sister.

Just a suggestion, not meant to be insulting or belittling. Look forward to flying with you and others at AAI.

rw

Really? When does that start in ernest? I know a '91 hire at AA who is still a mid level FO on the 767 in LA thanks to all of his Captains there being almost the same age as he is. He just can't really move up because there was a large group of guys hired that were fairly young, and he hired on after flying for the Air Force. He can barely hold MD80 Capt in LGA. People might want to look at that before deciding on a career there. Some legacies have a lot more people leaving in future years, which may help with advancement.

I think this is one of the best examples of how Southwest pilots would be harmed by a relative seniority or even a DOH integration. Objective fact #1 - AirTran's hiring requirements have always been lower than Southwest's. Objective fact #2 - AirTran's pilot group is, on average, approximately 5 yrs. younger than Southwest's pilot group, due mostly to the lower mins. Objective Result - the average AirTran guy that is put in the list senior to a Southwest guy will be younger, and therefore remain senior to that Southwest guy for the remainder of the Southwest guy's career. Ergo, by using either of the above methods without adjusting it in some fashion, every Southwest guy's career expectation just took a huge / big negative hit. Without the 50-80% increases in compensation, QoL, etc. to mitigate those effects, that hardly seems fair. Meanwhile, no matter how this plays out, all the AirTran guys realize a career potential that was heretofore unavailable to them.

I'm not saying how this is going to (or should) go, but I do imagine that an arbitrator would have to take those facts into account to even approach something fair and equitable. Just my two cents.

Fraternally,
PapaWoody

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back