• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA pool is starting to drain!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think this is one of the best examples of how Southwest pilots would be harmed by a relative seniority or even a DOH integration. Objective fact #1 - AirTran's hiring requirements have always been lower than Southwest's. Objective fact #2 - AirTran's pilot group is, on average, approximately 5 yrs. younger than Southwest's pilot group, due mostly to the lower mins. Objective Result - the average AirTran guy that is put in the list senior to a Southwest guy will be younger, and therefore remain senior to that Southwest guy for the remainder of the Southwest guy's career. Ergo, by using either of the above methods without adjusting it in some fashion, every Southwest guy's career expectation just took a huge / big negative hit. Without the 50-80% increases in compensation, QoL, etc. to mitigate those effects, that hardly seems fair. Meanwhile, no matter how this plays out, all the AirTran guys realize a career potential that was heretofore unavailable to them.

I'm not saying how this is going to (or should) go, but I do imagine that an arbitrator would have to take those facts into account to even approach something fair and equitable. Just my two cents.

Fraternally,
PapaWoody

Fraternally? After putting down the AT guys about their SWA substandard hiring practices? Really? But you are right about one thing, the AT guys on average are a lot younger. But you may want to look at the NWA and DL arbitration for answers. The NWA guys testified to the arbitrators that they deserved higher SLI because they still had a lot of Captains that were about to retire, but were still hanging on, while the DL group was younger on average thanks to more than 1500 senior Captains leaving pre-BK for their lump sums. The NWA guys thought they deserved the upgrades that were going to happen had the merger not occurred. How did that go over? The arbitrators still arrived at a relative seniority decision. It didn't seem to matter much. Sounds familiar.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
I think this is one of the best examples of how Southwest pilots would be harmed by a relative seniority or even a DOH integration. Objective fact #1 - AirTran's hiring requirements have always been lower than Southwest's. Objective fact #2 - AirTran's pilot group is, on average, approximately 5 yrs. younger than Southwest's pilot group, due mostly to the lower mins. Objective Result - the average AirTran guy that is put in the list senior to a Southwest guy will be younger, and therefore remain senior to that Southwest guy for the remainder of the Southwest guy's career. Ergo, by using either of the above methods without adjusting it in some fashion, every Southwest guy's career expectation just took a huge / big negative hit. Without the 50-80% increases in compensation, QoL, etc. to mitigate those effects, that hardly seems fair. Meanwhile, no matter how this plays out, all the AirTran guys realize a career potential that was heretofore unavailable to them.

I'm not saying how this is going to (or should) go, but I do imagine that an arbitrator would have to take those facts into account to even approach something fair and equitable. Just my two cents.

Fraternally,
PapaWoody

There are holes in your logic; If this goes to arbitration. If the Arbiters take the point into account, they will not look at hiring minimums. They will look at the actual or average qualifications that pilots were hired with. Take a quick peek at the minimums for DAL and FEDEX. I'm sure you realize that actual vs minimum is a large gap. Unfortunately your logic fails at this point. The fact that the AirTran pilot group is younger may be true. The reason is not because the companies published hiring minimums were lower. It's far more complicated.

Last edited:
Fraternally? After putting down the AT guys about their SWA substandard hiring practices? Really? But you are right about one thing, the AT guys on average are a lot younger. But you may want to look at the NWA and DL arbitration for answers. The NWA guys testified to the arbitrators that they deserved higher SLI because they still had a lot of Captains that were about to retire, but were still hanging on, while the DL group was younger on average thanks to more than 1500 senior Captains leaving pre-BK for their lump sums. The NWA guys thought they deserved the upgrades that were going to happen had the merger not occurred. How did that go over? The arbitrators still arrived at a relative seniority decision. It didn't seem to matter much. Sounds familiar.

Bye Bye---General Lee

At what point did I slam the AAI guys for their hiring practices? I didn't -- what I did do was make an objective statement that their hiring minimums have always been lower than SWA's. That's not flame, it's fact, and I believe I presented it in an objective manner.

As for the rest of your post, I'm pretty sure that the Northwest guys did get some credit for the fact that they had more Captain's on the verge of retiring than Delta. I didn't live it, so not completely sure. What I am sure of is that just because you lived through one SLI/merger doesn't make you an expert on how this one will go. Especially since the situation is completely different in this case. You like to throw out the contractual gains by Northwest pilots were on average about 30%, but that isn't borne out by the arbitrated decision which (and I quote) states "Northwest Pilots enjoyed immediate benefits averaging 9.51% across the group." In other words, nowhere near the average (approx.) 65% "immediate benefits" that will be enjoyed by the AAI pilots. Just one example of how you are full of it when you talk about how similar these situations are.

In closing, please don't try to put words or intentions in my mouth, General. I didn't put down the AAI guys, and have no intention of doing so. And in the future, when you spout off facts and figures trying to support your assertions, it would help if you actually did some research and used accurate information. Or would that get in the way of you preaching your anti-SWA vitriol? Enjoy your decades as an FO.

PapaWoody

Last edited:
There are holes in your logic; If this goes to arbitration. If the Arbiters take the point into account; They will not look at hiring minimums. They will look at the actual or average qualifications that pilots were hired with. Take a quick peek at the minimums for DAL and FEDEX. I'm sure you realize that actual vs minimum is a large gap. Unfortunately your logic fails at this point. The fact that the AirTran pilot group is younger may be true. The reason is not because the companies published hiring minimums were lower. It's far more complicated.

With all due respect, D, I think that is at least part of it. I'm sure there are other factors, such as hiring preferences by the different companies, but I think SWAPA can make a fairly convincing case that the different hiring minimums played a part, especially pre-2002. Again, not a slam on the AAI pilot group, just trying to explain why a relative integration would have a significant negative impact on SWA pilots' career expectations.

Fraternally,
PapaWoody

PS I put the paragraph break in that original post just for you. ;)

Last edited:
With all due respect, D, I think that is at least part of it. I'm sure there are other factors, such as hiring preferences by the different companies, but I think SWAPA can make a fairly convincing case that the different hiring minimums played a part, especially pre-2002. Again, not a slam on the AAI pilot group, just trying to explain why a relative integration would have a significant negative impact on SWA pilots' career expectations.

Fraternally,
PapaWoody

PS I put the paragraph break in that original post just for you. ;)

You really don't have the data to say that. Your opinion is based on anecdote and pride. Which is generally followed by a fall ...... For me anyway. Ironically, I couldn't put paragraphs in my last post. :)

Pilots were interviewed at AirTran and rejected. Followed by being hired at Southwest. It's a fickle game and Arbiters know that.

This is pointless. It will work out for all of us. My watch is bigger though ...

Cheers.

Merger of equals. Doesn't sound familiar at all in this case.

During their merger, Delta and Northwest were both legacies and had been to BK. SWA and Airtran are both currently profitable LCCs. I think Delta was a bigger airline overall, but relative seniority seemed to happen. Just be ready to eat humble pie.

Last edited:
No RD you are wrong. Career expectations are all about the type equipment you fly. That is why a career at Southern Cargo is worth as much as a career at UPS because both pilots will be on the 747.

You gotta admit........... that's a good point.

Gup

The big variable is what roughneck speaks of. I really don't see Gary allowing this to turn into USair vs. West. He'd rather not have the deal in the end and run two seperate ops in the meantime. He won't flush 40yrs of history.

Gary is keeping his distance and the SLI talks prolly won't get really cranking until after the closing and it's too late.

Gup

Question for the SWA guys..................How upset would you guys be if this went straight DOH? I, being Airtran, certainly would hope for better, but im curious on what you guys think. My guess is many on this forum(SWA folks) would think that even DOH is unfair. If DOH was awarded, please explain how a single SWA pilot would be negatively affected.

As long as I'm senior to Ty, which I would be, I'm fine. :D

Gup

Latest resources

Back