• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA pool is starting to drain!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
During their merger, Delta and Northwest were both legacies and had been to BK. SWA and Airtran are both currently profitable LCCs. I think Delta was a bigger airline overall, but relative seniority seemed to happen. Just be ready to eat humble pie.

One of them hadn't recently furloughed and the pay difference wasn't 40-70%.

Gup

Gary is keeping his distance and the SLI talks prolly won't get really cranking until after the closing and it's too late.

Gup

Guppy, I agree that we won't see Gary actively engaging in SLI talks. At the same time though, I don't see Gary allowing his legacy to be the guy that flushed the SWA culture down the toilet. A bad SLI for SWA pilots WILL create the next East/West saga.

DOCC has nothing to do with being 'too late' for anything. At DOCC, all that will have happened is that AirTran merged with Guadalupe Holdings, Inc.

AirTran is a predominantly 717 carrier, and as such can effectively be a separate carrier with no real consequence. If Gary makes the choice to keep the 717 operation separate, there will be no SLI. (I hear Gary has told the ATN MEC Chair this very same point!)

If the Arbiters take the point into account, they will not look at hiring minimums. They will look at the actual or average qualifications that pilots were hired with.

You may well be correct here. Either way, the result will be the same.

Throughout the history of ValuJet/AirTran, those hired worked more days for less money than their counterparts at nearly every legacy, LCC and UPS/FedEx.
Anyone who disagrees with this logic should then ask, "why AirTran"?
Given the choice, why would any competitive applicant intentionally choose the lowest option in terms of pay, benefits, QOL, etc. Many AT pilots decided these things were important to them, so you get the high % attrition from AT to SWA, CAL, DAL, UPS, FedEx, UAE, Cathay, etc (for years, nearly half the hiring at AT was to replace pilots lost to attrition).

There are many current AT captains who got hired with less than competitive mins for nearly every legacy and UPS/FedEx. The exception was the hiring in the mid to late 2000s when there weren't as many carriers hiring relative to the number of qualified applicants. They are young as a group because of this. This youth absolutely can have a negative impact on SWA pilots and will be a legitimate factor in any SLI decision ( if there is an SLI at all).

There was a large pay difference, one had a pension, and the other was actively hiring.
Not only that but the airline being acquired (nwa) got to keep their pension to this day. Meaning some of the payroll resources are going only to NWA pilots. It is a frozen pension but for many it is an excellent pension. Something Delta will not see one dime of.

Talk about life being unfair. But from the NWA pilots perspective they didn't ask to be bought out. They do benefit from the buyout immensely but delta shareholders are the ones who paid the money to get it done.

To recap NWA got a nice pay raise kept their pensions and in many cases got even better than relative seniority in some cases they got less. AAI-SWA will be much the same.

Remeber SWA pilots are not giving us airtran guys anything. SWA shareholders are giving us the pay benefits etc. In other words SWA pilots are not taking a pay cut so we can make more.

The exception was the hiring in the mid to late 2000s when there weren't as many carriers hiring relative to the number of qualified applicants. They are young as a group because of this. This youth absolutely can have a negative impact on SWA pilots and will be a legitimate factor in any SLI decision ( if there is an SLI at all).

Hey,

Since 2002 the qualifications of the pilots hired at AirTran far exceeded the minimums of Legacies and SWA. We know there were exceptions. Probably 5 to 10 percent. One in my class.

That is over 70% of AirTrans seniority list.

If you look at the industry since that date it explains some of the answer to the question "why". An example; I would have lost a great deal of money by going to Delta. I'd still be losing money. Each case is different obviously.

I don't know whether the youth disadvantages SWA and I don't know if the Arbiters would account for it. It would certainly be an interesting exercise to attempt to collect the exact data required for an accurate comparison. :erm: Age versus the individuals qualifications on date of hire

Edit: I forgot about the 737 type requirement. My numbers are based on no requirement for a 737 type at time of employment. No, I dont want to restart the endless discussion regarding its value.

Last edited:
To Lonestar and PapaW.-

Be careful about the "hiring minimums" argument. Most of the pilots hired by AirTran had experience that vastly exceeded the minimums.

You might find that, while SWA's "minimums" were higher, that the average AirTran hire actually had more flight time, especially if SWA hired more fighter types and corporate guys, while AirTran hired a bunch of Delta retirees and legacy furloughees.

Last edited:
Not only that but the airline being acquired (nwa) got to keep their pension to this day. Meaning some of the payroll resources are going only to NWA pilots. It is a frozen pension but for many it is an excellent pension. Something Delta will not see one dime of.

Talk about life being unfair. But from the NWA pilots perspective they didn't ask to be bought out. They do benefit from the buyout immensely but delta shareholders are the ones who paid the money to get it done.

To recap NWA got a nice pay raise kept their pensions and in many cases got even better than relative seniority in some cases they got less. AAI-SWA will be much the same.

Remeber SWA pilots are not giving us airtran guys anything. SWA shareholders are giving us the pay benefits etc. In other words SWA pilots are not taking a pay cut so we can make more.
Bongo-this post is spot on. CAs will remain as CAs and F/Os about to upgrade will also upgrade soon. southwest was out of ideas to grow which is why gk decided to buy aai. southwest ladies lose zero in this deal gk put together. You get to keep all your toys. You just have to share now.

There was a large pay difference, one had a pension, and the other was actively hiring.

You guys are really comparing NWA/DL vs SW/AAI?

I'm sorry but that's not even close to similar.

Guppy,

Your numbers are off, its more like 50-100 percent pay difference. NW/DL wasn't even close to that disparity.

Bongo-this post is spot on. CAs will remain as CAs and F/Os about to upgrade will also upgrade soon. southwest was out of ideas to grow which is why gk decided to buy aai. southwest ladies lose zero in this deal gk put together. You get to keep all your toys. You just have to share now.

I see this going more like the TranStar aquisition. History may repeat itself.

Latest resources

Back