SWA pool is starting to drain!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nothing in Bond/McKakil prevents a staple....nothing

most might think a staple is wrong...depending on which side you are on.

But there is nothing in the bill that "PREVENTS" a staple.....it just make a means to make it a not a guarantee.

Red,

Since that happened, the Bond/McKaskil bill was introduced (preventing a staple), and there have been two very recent arbitration proceedings concerning SLIs. Those things will be used here, not the Transtar or Morris acquisitions.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Don't forget the other recent arbitrated precedent, Chautaqua/Shuttle America, which actually resembles this one a lot more closely than the two you keep harping about (which were decided not under Bond-McCaskill, but ALPA policy, btw.) Of course, any precedent that doesn't support the pipe dream that is relative seniority for the AAI guys will be summarily dismissed, so get busy living up to expectations.

PapaWoody

General,

You need to brush up on what happened there. Even if Bond/Mac were in effect then......wait for it......wouldn't have made a difference. They didn't integrate the seniority list.

So wait, you are saying that you guys AREN'T GOING TO INTEGRATE THE LISTS? Really? Can you do that with that Bond/Mac law in place? Hmmmm, I don't know about that. You said you thought it would go via the Transtar route, right? I just want to understand why you think that? Chase keeps saying he looks forward to flying with the AT guys/gals. Are you right, or is he right?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Don't forget the other recent arbitrated precedent, Chautaqua/Shuttle America, which actually resembles this one a lot more closely than the two you keep harping about (which were decided not under Bond-McCaskill, but ALPA policy, btw.) Of course, any precedent that doesn't support the pipe dream that is relative seniority for the AAI guys will be summarily dismissed, so get busy living up to expectations.

PapaWoody

What were the expectations of the USAir East guys? Their airline was about to liquidate. Still, they were given the top 500 spots because they had INTL routes and larger planes, and then it went relative. AT flies INTL routes, and has things that would be very important to any business plan, primarily a large Southern presence in a hub that SWA could not get into, and DCA/LGA slots that are worth a lot. All of that will help the case of the AT pilots, and I have never said they (AT pilots) will get the top slots, or even the top 300, but they will be intermixed down the list, and SWA guys and AT guys will frequent the bottom. Will you be one of those guys?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Nothing in Bond/McKakil prevents a staple....nothing

most might think a staple is wrong...depending on which side you are on.

But there is nothing in the bill that "PREVENTS" a staple.....it just make a means to make it a not a guarantee.

What are the chances an arbitrator would do that? Can you give me a % chance that YOU think it could happen. Even though you know that Airtran is bringning significant gains to a combined airline, what are the chances that an arbitrator would staple them?

Bye Bye---General Lee

What were the expectations of the USAir East guys? Their airline was about to liquidate. Still, they were given the top 500 spots because they had INTL routes and larger planes, and then it went relative. AT flies INTL routes, and has things that would be very important to any business plan, primarily a large Southern presence in a hub that SWA could not get into, and DCA/LGA slots that are worth a lot. All of that will help the case of the AT pilots, and I have never said they (AT pilots) will get the top slots, or even the top 300, but they will be intermixed down the list, and SWA guys and AT guys will frequent the bottom. Will you be one of those guys?

Bye Bye---General Lee

That was a nice job ignoring the precedent that didn't support your assertions. For the record, there were approx. 850 SWA guys hired before VJ/AAI existed, so you only missed your estimate of the "top slots" by about 550.

PapaWoody

PS I'm pretty sure I'll be staying in the left seat.

That was a nice job ignoring the precedent that didn't support your assertions. For the record, there were approx. 850 SWA guys hired before VJ/AAI existed, so you only missed your estimate of the "top slots" by about 550.

PapaWoody

PS I'm pretty sure I'll be staying in the left seat.

There were a lot more USAir East guys hired before AWA guys than just 500, but Nicalau made the award like that. It was up to him. Your arbitrator(s) will have the same ability. Can you please give me the run down of the CHQ/Republic decision, and why that one should be used and not one of two seperate companies? CHQ and Republic are owned by the same holding company, and there may have been pilots moving from subsidiary to subsidiary before the merge. Can you say that didn't happen? That did NOT occur between USAir East and West. Why are you stating your example will happen, when they were owned by the same company? You know that doesn't seem the same as SWA/AT, right? The holding company could probably transfer routes and equipment between companies prior to the SLI there.

And, I bet you will stay in the left seat. The only question is, will Ty be senior to you? No flame there, just wondering. You never know when it comes to arbitration. I don't think he will lose his seat either. Good luck to you guys.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
There were a lot more USAir East guys hired before AWA guys than just 500, but Nicalau made the award like that. It was up to him. Your arbitrator(s) will have the same ability. Can you please give me the run down of the CHQ/Republic decision, and why that one should be used and not one of two seperate companies? CHQ and Republic are owned by the same holding company, and there may have been pilots moving from subsidiary to subsidiary before the merge. Can you say that didn't happen? That did NOT occur between USAir East and West. Why are you stating your example will happen, when they were owned by the same company? You know that doesn't seem the same as SWA/AT, right? The holding company could probably transfer routes and equipment between companies prior to the SLI there.

And, I bet you will stay in the left seat. The only question is, will Ty be senior to you? No flame there, just wondering. You never know when it comes to arbitration. I don't think he will lose his seat either. Good luck to you guys.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Shuttle America was acquired by Republic in 2005, and then their seniority list was merged with the Chautauqua (Republic) pilots via an arbitration proceeding. The S/A pilots were the beneficiaries of Chautauqua's vastly superior contract and work rules, and that benefit substantially affected the way the lists were integrated. Sound familiar?

As for whether Ty will be senior to me, who knows? That comes awfully close to offering an opinion as to how this will play out. I'm just here to counter the idea that somehow the "law" requires relative seniority, when there is no basis for that view, either in fact or in precedent.

And for the record, I know how AAI guys feel about the word "staple", which is why I have never used it, either in my posts or even my own personal idea of how this should go. But if they can't understand why SWA guys feel the same way about "relative seniority", then I guess there isn't any real effort to meet in the middle. For the most part, though, I think guys on both sides of the aisle get that. At least, I hope so.

Fraternally,
PapaWoody

As for whether Ty will be senior to me, who knows?

I don't want to be senior to you, I just don't want to give up what I have earned/worked for.

And for the record, I know how AAI guys feel about the word "staple", which is why I have never used it, either in my posts or even my own personal idea of how this should go. But if they can't understand why SWA guys feel the same way about "relative seniority", then I guess there isn't any real effort to meet in the middle. For the most part, though, I think guys on both sides of the aisle get that. At least, I hope so.

I "get it" . . . . . and somehow, we will all get through it, together.

Regards,
Ty

Why did the AT management settle their contrat then? To be nice? They wanted to close the gap as much as they could. And, there is NO snapshot of workrules, only seniority lists

Career expectations right now for both is 737-700 (or -800) Captain.

Wow, there's a lot to comment on in this thread!
General, everyone knows you are wise beyond your years, but where did you get the rules regarding what the arbitrators MUST and MUST NOT use to form an opinion on SLI? There can be a snapshot of anything anyone wants to take a snapshot of. Swapa absolutely can make the claim that the AT pilots' recent contract is the direct result of the SWA acquisition. There is plenty of evidence to make that claim.

Why did AT management choose to settle the contract talks? AT management has no concern for it's labor groups so I don't think they did it out of kindness jsut to close the gap for the pilots. Since Gary Kelly was present and had direct influence on the final talks that resulted in the TA, I would have to think he forced AT mgmts hand to prevent any serious labor issues during the transition process.

Did the AT pilots settle when they voted YES for the contract? Maybe, but either way the past 5-6 years showed how unwilling mgmt was to increase costs so its really harrd to guess what they COULD have gotten.

Regarding career expectations...it could be argued that, for the majority of AT captains, the expectation was to be a 717 captain. Luckily, they may get to keep that expectation because it may be shown over the next 3-6 months that Gary will be smarter to keep the 717 operation separate. And yes, Gary can do that. And yes, that can happen without triggering Bond/McCaskill or any SLI at all.

Latest resources

Back