• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA plan for 15% ROIC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Score, I wasn't agreeing with Ghetto. I was merely illustrating the more tangible reasons why the transition is slow and why the 1 JAN 2015 timeline isn't going to work. Yep. I already know what your talking about, when you say be careful what you wish for. I almost wish the union had ignored any MOUs discovered after the fact, but they can't. They have to run everything to ground, to avoid DFR.

Maybe I'm jaded from my last gig, and I hope that I'm wrong, BUT that being said Wall Street loves furloughs and I don't think they value or culture like we do. Our stock would probably go up if we furloughed. Most stocks do go up on news of cost cutting. Besides I think that most of GKs innner circle believes that the culture lives in the GO, inflight, and ground ops. They can keep all of those folks and furlough just pilots which will have little to no effect on the afforementioned groups but will serve as a warning to them. Best to be loved and feared but if you have to choose one be feared. Training 500 pilots that we don't need will cost millions and continue to drive up costs for a long time. Only 200ish WN pilots would have to be furloughed avoid training the 500 FL pig in the python pilots. I think they will try and hold these pilots hostage for the WN rigs and line guarantees. If the pilots don't give in the hatchet will fall and they can blame it on SWAPA.

Last edited:
This forum is talking furloughs...we are in sec 6...we should be pushing contract improvements...we r the enemy to ourselves...

GBJ, no furloughs, yes, this is like no other place.

GK will not furlough not just because he said so, but because it will cost him more in the long run, and not just training costs, in pilot slowdown costs and loss of goodwill.

Some may think he could keep his inner GO circle happy with furloughs, but the truth is that stake would hit the heart, the pilots, the guys who set the tone, and that would die, and so would any chance of making the numbers work.

Airlines who make profit for 40 some years don't furlough.

No furlough.

First score is right, there are a ton of pilots who don't set the tone already especially in PHX and in the AM - but most of us really do.
And that is not lost on GK-
This place runs on culture regardless of cynicism from an individual perspective- we should protect it every day going forward bc it's the best job security the industry has

GBJ- you're wearing glasses that skew your vision- get involved with the extracurricular stuff instead of FI, you'll be happier for it-

I know the talk of furloughs had died down on this side, except for a few chicken littles and drama queens. There would have to be a major catastrophy.

The talk has mainly switched to folks leaving to go back to a previous employer (American) or just applying at another company. I just talked to a former SWA pilot who left for FedeX within the last year so it may be happening on the other side too.

Phred

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back