• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA plan for 15% ROIC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
An old EAL guy who now is a Cappy at SWA told me once he would never trust SWAPA with a strike...way too many guys would cross the line for the $$...at EAL everybody just voted/acted the way the CP told them to...according to him...

Actually, AirTran would have been just fine for about 10-14 days. Southwest could weather a strike for a couple of months with their cash position. Alaska, as well. Most of the legacy carriers couldn't go much more than a few weeks, though. That's true nowadays. But that's not really the point. inally, even the proffer isn't seen by the NMB (or even ALPA) as a means to a strike. It's seen as a means to reach a deal. It brings highly elevated pressure to bear on both sides of the table, which encourages both sides to bargain in good faith.
Yea good stuff; just ignore those people who buy tickets, who worry bout getting stranded, who stop buying tickets, weeks even months in advance of a possible strike. Screw them, they owe the union members a job and they should never forget that.

BTW Did I not read after the five day strike by NWA in 1998 or 99. It took them years to recover their load factors?

Yea good stuff; just ignore those people who buy tickets, who worry bout getting stranded, who stop buying tickets, weeks even months in advance of a possible strike. Screw them, they owe the union members a job and they should never forget that.

BTW Did I not read after the five day strike by NWA in 1998 or 99. It took them years to recover their load factors?

So you say the responsibility is only on labor if a strike comes to fruition? You say the actions of management had no part whatsoever in a strike? A strike is the only legal action the Railway Act gives unions and this is after years and years of negotiations. I'm surprised you are so ignorant on these matters having been on this board and in the industry for years. I guess you are proof one does not need a college degree to be in this business. Look what the taxpayer got with yours...

Last edited:
So you say the responsibility is only on labor if a strike comes to fruition? You say the actions of management had no part whatsoever in a strike? A strike is the only legal action the Railway Act gives unions and this is after years and years of negotiations. I'm surprised you are so ignorant on these matters having been on this board and in the industry for years. I guess you are proof one does not need a college degree to be in this business. Look what the taxpayer got with yours...

His response will be sending his manifesto/ work history to you via PM before the day is over. Call it a hunch.

I don't know about that one. If I bought a ticket on an airline and than saw people having to shell out $40 to cut in front of me, I would be thinking next time I'll take my business to someone else.

Heard that same argument about people having to pay for checking their bags, how did that one go?

So I should just work for free if management demands it, just so those passengers don't get stranded? Sorry, not gonna happen.

The process in the RLA is there to resolve disputes in a way that avoids disruptions to service if at all possible. By the time it gets to a strike, management has had opportunities for years to solve the problem. The NMB doesn't release anyone to self help if management is being reasonable. The blame for those passengers missing their flights is on management, not the union. The union is just resorting to the last possible option that they really don't want.

NWA was making enormous profits prior to 9/11, just like every other airline.

From information published on Swalife there will be a mechanism in place that looks at the numbers of through passengers and if that number is above a certain level the $40 upgrade will not be offered.

And that number will be 135. :nuts:

Heard that same argument about people having to pay for checking their bags, how did that one go?

Southwest management said it drove market share toward SWA. What's the counter to that?

Pilots are a funny bunch. Most are smart enough to realize the massive damage a strike will do to their respective companies, but most are also self absorbed enough to not care. As soon as it becomes "us vs them" with your management, you both lose. Money is hard enough to make in the airline business...do you really want to complicate that?

If you owned your own small business and were dealing with employee issues such as this, how would you handle it? How would you feel as the owner?

Latest resources

Back