SWA plan for 15% ROIC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No furloughs.

To furlough would be a nail in the coffin of all that SWA has advertised these last four decades. SWA will only furlough if some industry stressor occurs like energy, war, or terrorism: if that happens, other will furlough long before SWA.

Second, furloughing 400, then hiring them back and retraining inside of a year or two/three is more costly than paying min guarantee to every pilot over two years.

Third, my bet is a significant number of young age wise (younger than 45) FO's see the writing on the wall and jump to other airlines which are hiring. Solving the problem well before 2015.

For once, I have to agree with scoreboardII. No furloughs to be worried about.

There has been a lot of speculation on this topic - The "F" word. It's interesting to speculate where we are headed. I think the poster that spoke of the influx of new jets covering the loss of the 717 was correct. What is interesting is the decline of the classics with no new jet orders to replace them.
One theory is that management has a plan and will use the fear of 500 pilots too many, to roll into a concessionary contract for the pilots. Ex. "take this contract deal, or we will have to furlough 500 of you". There is rumor of this all up and down the line I'm flying. I'm thinking this ploy would blow up in management's face. Unlike after Sept 11, when our group took a concessionary contract to prevent furlough, I think the good will of the current pilot's, on both sides of the partition, is gone. If management tries to use this tactic, the pilot group won't fall for it and there will be furloughs. I'm speculating here. What do you think?

I will say it again . There will be no furloughs .

Of course the company wants something in the next contract

PBS,less sick time, less use of overlap on vacation , lower the daily duty guarantee . The list goes on. GK would not not be doing his job,if he did not try to get some of this .

PBS,less sick time, less use of overlap on vacation , lower the daily duty guarantee .........

all part of the pretty laminated sales brochures that touted how a RSW FO makes more than a FAT Captain....... Now that gk got the captain seats for SWAPA they have no choice but to agree to the overlord's demands.....

Although I love the optimistic outlook I just don't see it. Let's examine the facts on the ground today and build from there. On the AAI side of the partition a huge amount of flying has been eliminated, almost half of the pilots are on reserve not flying and the airframes are being sold to another carrier. On the other side of the fence SWA will end up 10 airframes smaller at the end of 2013 then we started. Add in that management is reducing the size of headqurters staff which points to at least anecdotally that they are preparing to run a smaller airline. We also know as of right now the planned number of aircraft acquisitions is far short of the planned number of aircraft disposals. Even to an Indiana public school grad like myself less airframes in total means less need for people to fly them. Even though we are talking about SWA that does not suspend reality. The only way this changes is if there is a sudden realization of profitable ASMs which in turn would justify the need for additional airframes off the open market which would in turn mitigate the job losses. When I add this up I think we are playing musical chairs where the only real question is who ends up without a seat when the music stops.

O There is rumor of this all up and down the line I'm flying. I'm thinking this ploy would blow up in management's face. Unlike after Sept 11, when our group took a concessionary contract to prevent furlough, I think the good will of the current pilot's, on both sides of the partition, is gone. If management tries to use this tactic, the pilot group won't fall for it and there will be furloughs. I'm speculating here. What do you think?
Well first, there is no rumor up and down the line of a furlough, at least not my line. Secondly, what you say about the pilots not believing much of anything management has to say if it isn't spelled out in black and white is right, show us the money, put it in writing, the trust is dead. Lastly, even if pushed into a corner, management is the side which furloughs, not the pilots, if they want to waste money and furlough shorterm, thats up to them, but like my previous post, it won't happen as the costs are to high.

Although I love the optimistic outlook I just don't see it. Not being optimistic, just being realistic with the facts on the ground .

Let's examine the facts on the ground today and build from there. On the AAI side of the partition a huge amount of flying has been eliminated, almost half of the pilots are on reserve not flying and the airframes are being sold to another carrier.

Using the word Huge is not a real good factual point to reference in your argument. You (other AT pilots) have admitted to AT having almost 30-40% on reserve before SWA ever announced the purchase. Are you being paid minimum guarantee? If so, nothing to worry about.

On the other side of the fence SWA will end up 10 airframes smaller at the end of 2013 then we started.

10 airframes, thats all you got? Thats a normal swing at SWA, and less than a 1% shift of airframes, we flex about 600 pilots worth of flying from slow times to busy times every year.

Add in that management is reducing the size of headqurters staff which points to at least anecdotally that they are preparing to run a smaller airline.

Points to nothing other than GK realizing his HQ costs are the highest in the industry and needs to answer to that problem before he can begin to blame other labor groups at SWA.

We also know as of right now the planned number of aircraft acquisitions is far short of the planned number of aircraft disposals. Even to an Indiana public school grad like myself less airframes in total means less need for people to fly them. Even though we are talking about SWA that does not suspend reality. The only way this changes is if there is a sudden realization of profitable ASMs which in turn would justify the need for additional airframes off the open market which would in turn mitigate the job losses. When I add this up I think we are playing musical chairs where the only real question is who ends up without a seat when the music stops.

Your numbers are not what we are seeing on this side, all indications point to flat fleet through 2015, with 2-3% growth per year into the 2015-2017 range. If we for one second thought they would be furloughing on either side we would be shouting from the roofs. Yes, we will all be flying min contract for a year or two at times, which is much better than any other merger I know of save the new Delta-Uniteds(bankrupt exit debt free) which is still TBD.

Yes, the classics are going, but at a reduced rate, and are being replaced with new iron at a reduced rate, why? Who wants to buy 100 new 700's when if all we need to do is wait two years into 2017 and we could get the NEO/MAX airframe which saves us 8% on operating costs?[/QUOTE]
Lets not get spooled up on this again....

On the AAI side of the partition a huge amount of flying has been eliminated, almost half of the pilots are on reserve not flying

We've been told that the flying is picking back up in a month or two, and reserves are going to drop back down to normal days off with higher utilization. This is just a temporary situation with reduced utilization during the winter, supposedly.

PBS,less sick time, less use of overlap on vacation , lower the daily duty guarantee .........

all part of the pretty laminated sales brochures that touted how a RSW FO makes more than a FAT Captain....... Now that gk got the captain seats for SWAPA they have no choice but to agree to the overlord's demands.....

Actually, we don't have to agree to jack squat. The union's position is that we've already done our part to help save money (a rapid agreement to flying -800s with no override, a rapid agreement on near-international with no override). These are things that the company wanted to help lower unit costs moving forward to achieve its goals. Basically, we already gave at the office. If we don't agree to anything different, we'll still get our pay levels and perks.

Wait... I'm sorry--if you just wanted to bitch, then sorry about answering your concerns. Carry on.

Bubba

Thanks

Nice to see both sides slinging mud.I hope you don't speak for the majority over there.

Latest resources

Back