SWA or DAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Over 1/2 way in just 2yrs/5mnths

"Nobody has upgraded at SWA in five years since the last century.
For those hired now, it will be 7+ years. Not bad, I have a friend who's halfway there already, but it's not five. Or six."

Not Quite True...I have been at Southwest 2yrs, 5mnths and I am closer to Captain (21.8% from Upgrade)than I am to the bottom of the Seniority List(23.3% from the bottom). I am on track for a 5 year upgrade...of course that will change hear in a year or so when they change the retirement age.

-Turn&Pull

Did I touch a nerve? The "disrespecting line" was from the dude that claims SWA disrespected him (by not hiring him).

No, what you said was, "Don't be disrespecting SWA!"
And, NO, you didn't touch a nerve....I could care less what you think of the airline I work for. I had once desired to work for SWA as well, but now seeing that they are hiring pricks like you, I'm glad I'm not there!

Payback, this time, its for real!!!

Payback for what?

Let the beatings continue, I think about 5 more years and maybe we (at Southwest) can call it even.
Be careful what you wish for, it may just come back to haunt you dude!

I'll re-do that quote: "It must be exciting flying for a carrier soon to emerge from bankruptcy protection on May 1. I feel that Delta will provide an excellent, long, stable, rewarding, international flying career for any young aviator." :cartman:
I hope you're right!

This message is hidden because 400ADude is on your ignore list.
Let me guess ahole. You're responding to something I wrote. My little stalker is alive and well. What, no get together at the trailer park tonight!
Piss off you loser!

"Nobody has upgraded at SWA in five years since the last century.
For those hired now, it will be 7+ years. Not bad, I have a friend who's halfway there already, but it's not five. Or six."

Not Quite True...I have been at Southwest 2yrs, 5mnths and I am closer to Captain (21.8% from Upgrade)than I am to the bottom of the Seniority List(23.3% from the bottom). I am on track for a 5 year upgrade...of course that will change hear in a year or so when they change the retirement age.

-Turn&Pull

My friend pulled up the seniority list for me. It is, in fact "quite true". Look at it yourself, the last five year upgrade was hired in the last century.

Sorry dude, you're looking at a 7+ year upgrade. It's weird to me how a non-SWA guy knows more about upgrade than someone who likes the KoolAide.

Look at the seniority list yourself.

Actually Radar turn&pull is right. Between the begining of 2002 and the middle of 2004 we only hired about 250 new pilots. Before that we were hiring around 300-350 a year, so once the upgrades hit the date of hire of 2002. Years to upgrade times will drop rapidly and then stabalize at between 5-6 years for the most junior base. This of course doesn't take into account canceled A/C orders or changing the mandatory retirement age.

Last guy that finished Captain training was hired in Oct 2000. 6 years 5 months to Lance captain. Probably another 3 or 4 to holding captain.

But like bluesideup said, the 'snake effect' is in play here. The 2 years of very low hiring introduced a 1-2 year 'artificial' delay. What do I mean by artificial? Well, it is real enough for the guys who are upgrading at 7 years versus 5 but for the guys that were hired after the slow down ended, it looks more like 5 1/2 or 6. Granted, still not 5 years.

Anyone in the airline business ought to have a good understanding of the mechanics of upgrade. obviously not everyone does. We upgrade due to 2 factors, growth and retirements. SWA has grown at 8-10% traditionally. Those 2 years after 9/11 were less, thus the longer times to upgrade as of today. As of 2 years from now though, it should be around 6 years (knock on wood).

I loved the statement by the thread starter about how he'd retire as #15-30 at delta but never above 60% at SWA. Talk about confusion. Delta had all those 55+ guys go out early to get the lump sum. So, for the next 5 or 10 years, the 'retirement' side of their upgrade equation is static; only new planes will open up Captain seats.

Now, this can all change if SWA stops buying planes, age 60 goes to 65 (add 1 to 1.5 years for guys at SWA, maybe more for guys at airlines with no aircraft growth), or if Delta starts growing and buying lots of planes. But as it stands today with current forecasts, the thread starter would make captain faster and end up at a somewhat equivalent place on the list eventually at SWA. But change the assumptions, that changes.

I'll believe it when I see it...I've been on Flightinfo for a long time and I've been hearing this "five year upgrade" since I came here and it's been untrue the whole time. It's seven years, give or take, and I don't see how it can drop two years as the airline grows in size.

There's nothing wrong with a seven year upgrade, it just makes me crazy that SWA people keep using this wrong figure.

It's like using the old UAL pay rates when talking about how much you're going to make at UAL if you got hired in 2007.

Now let's say age 60 changes, then it's going to be closing in on nine years upgrade at LUV, which is a lot different than five years, isn't it?

Latest resources

Back