• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Never drink before you post....

Last edited:
Gatorade,

As Bubba would say: "I feel your pain." Took the trip to Dallas in December of 2000 and things went exactly as you describe. I saved the 8 grand and didn't buy the type which may have cost me the gig. No worries. As James Clavell wrote: "Karma is Karma."

I may be good or I may be lucky (I'm leaning toward lucky), but I ended up exactly where I am supposed to be. Keep pushing on LUV if that's where you think you should be but don't let this STUPID business get you down.

I think sailpilot has the right idea. It's 5 O'clock somewhere so trim the main, turn up the Buffett, and pour the Captain.

ATRCAPT said:
So, let's recap. SWA won't call me because I'm not a swinging dick military guy or an RJ captain, and other companies are wary because of the type rating! I CAN'T FREAKIN' WIN!!!

Um....no, you haven't been called because you're a whiner too.

ATRCAPT said:
Why don't you shut your hole. You have no idea how I interview.

Yes, but we do know how you post. And as they say at SWA PD, past performance predicts future performance.

YOU! Out of the gene pool!

I'm just a CFI flunky, but even I know that "We want to hire all of you." and "We will hire all of you." are two completely different statements conveying two completely different intents. I may not know much about airline interviewing per se, but I've definitely "been there, done that" with job interviews in general.

Just an observation.

-Goose

gutshotdraw said:
Gatorade,

It's 5 O'clock somewhere so trim the main, turn up the Buffett, and pour the Captain.

Amen Brother, and if you play for the gutshotstraight the game is on my boat in Key West usually on thurs. PM me and we'll open a seat. It's nice to see there is another poker addict out there flying and sailing between hands.

Blue skies and Tailwinds

Gator,

I interviewed in December '04 with your same outcome. Of course there were a couple things that could have been improved upon...there always will be. But, to hear an interviewer say, "Wow, you are displaying some incredible qualities we are looking for at Southwest Airlines.", and still get the letter. That was disappointing. Well, the people that interview you don't make the final decision. That is kinda unfortunate. I was fortunate because I was lucky enough to get a phone call to start with. A few of my friends(all of us know the same people at SWA) have had their stuff in for years with far more experience than I who have not been called. Will I reapply in December...you bet I will. When I got the letter it changed my attitude. Maybe I should contribute more at work. I was appointed to the Professional standards committee and have started the workings of an employee fundraising committee to help the less fortunate members of our company. I haven't felt that sense of accomplishment in a long time. It feels great. I have 19 days off in August with 84 credit hours. I am flying out to AZ for my buddy's 31 B-day bash, then going to the lake in WI for the weekend, then floatin' down the Current River in MO. September is the Trip to Munich for Octoberfest. Can you believe I have never left the country. My point being.... everything happens for a reason. I understand that it wasn't my time to be part of the Southwest family. I have to do a few more things with my current family before I move on. If it wasn't for "the letter", I wouldn't have accomplished some of the things I have these past few months.

The results from my interview group....5 out of 12 hired. There were 4 with military experience and 1 Skywest Captain. A good friend of mine and I interviewed on the same day. He was hired and went to class in May. He said his class was 50/50. All for what it's worth. Fly Safe......Scoob!!

Juvat said:
Yes, but we do know how you post. And as they say at SWA PD, past performance predicts future performance.

YOU! Out of the gene pool!

Gimme a break! Come down off your holier-than thou tower! I fart in your general direction.

SWA people were always great to me while commuting for 16 years. I'd love to have gotten on there when I got furloughed.

BUT. I have always known it was a gamble to interview anywhere. SWA would be a $10,000 gamble. I couldn't do it. Good luck to all who go out and drop the bucks to play the game--I hope you win. But it's too rich for me.

Now, where did I leave that blender... :D TC

Latest resources

Back