SWA DB- DING You suck!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Chuck Yogourt said:
I know of at least two different people who have gotten hired at SWA that are nothing but aviation trash. One has the personality of a rock, the other is a egomaniac that we celebrate the day he left.

These people must be very good actors. But, just maybe, they have changed their spots and no one will ever know they were ever as you described.

You never know when people will wake up, smell the coffee and change where their lives are going.

FlyBoeingJets said:
These people must be very good actors. But, just maybe, they have changed their spots and no one will ever know they were ever as you described.

You never know when people will wake up, smell the coffee and change where their lives are going.

FlyBoeingJets, if your statement is correct, "just maybe, they have changed their spots and no one will ever know they were ever as you described", then that effectively proves that the "tell me about a time"-"past performance predicts future performance" interview technique is not a reliable predictor of personality. It is believed to be exceedingly rare that someone change personality. I'll be so bold as to say that someone who changes personality is most likely mentally ill. I do believe that one can change their outlook on life, I believe that because I have done so myself.

I'd like to see statistics about the pass rate for properly coached/prepared interviewees versus non prepped interviewees. If there is any difference between the fail rates favoring the prepped interviewees, that should indicate to a reasonable person that the process is not reliable.

I most certainly don't speak for coaches such as Albie, but I'll bet that they believe their service to be of value.

It all leads me to state again, If I ever get lucky enough to get another interview (long time readers will know that I've passed one SWA interview and failed another. The first time I passed the interview but didn't pass the DB).....IF I ever get another interview. I WILL BUY PREP!

good luck to everyone,
enigma

PHP:
This statement is not entirely true. I know of at least two different people who have gotten hired at SWA that are nothing but aviation trash. One has the personality of a rock, the other is a egomaniac that we celebrate the day he left. On the other hand, I know of some extremely good people with types who have not gotten hired by SWA. Sad but true.[/QUOTE

Amen!

What I failed to mention in my post above is that I did interview at SWA in January of 2001. Would I have left Midwest for them? Yes. They shot me down. I was the only civilian out of 10 military guys. The most time there was 3,000 hours by some Navy guy who wasn't sure he wanted out of the Navy. I thought my interview went well. I interviewed one on one with 2 captains and a H.R. person. The female captain had a hard time with the fact that I would leave Midwest as an 11 year captain. I did not have a type.

I don't have any grudges with SWA. They are a class act and I would have loved to spend the rest of my career there. It was not to be. I am happy where I am and it would have taken me years to make up the money I would have lost had I gone. Would I go now, four years later. No.

Hey Gatorade,

You didn't really want to drink that Koolaid now did you?

No aspersions on the WN folks.

The PD is duplicitious in their intentions (Oh, we really LUV You!). I interviewed twice, and had numerous instances that this was illustrated. Not going to bother with a third time unless I really want to be entertained. It's just a game they play.

They (the PD) know who they are going to hire before the flood of all the applicants come in for the "interview". The actual individuals that they know they are going to hire are in fact the only one's they are really evaluating. For the rest of the "if your qualified you will get an interview" masses the process is just a sham. They just write it off as a business expense.

For the most part I hold most of the "working class" WN personnel in high regard. They work long and hard for what they get.

enigma said:
It is believed to be exceedingly rare that someone change personality. I'll be so bold as to say that someone who changes personality is most likely mentally ill. I do believe that one can change their outlook on life, I believe that because I have done so myself.

I spit coke out of my nose when I read this. Mentally ill?? Then I guess we aren't talking about the same thing. One's outlook on life affects personality in a very BIG way.

We can just say that we don't understand each other. Otherwise I'm inclined to think you are saying you are mentally ill with your logic. Which I know is not intended. I don't think you are mentally ill either.

What are the warning signs of depression? Mood swings, personality changes, ....

FearlessFreep said:
They (the PD) know who they are going to hire before the flood of all the applicants come in for the "interview". The actual individuals that they know they are going to hire are in fact the only one's they are really evaluating. For the rest of the "if your qualified you will get an interview" masses the process is just a sham. They just write it off as a business expense.

This is so illogical that it hardly merits a reply, but you suckered me in ....

- SWA looks for ways to cut costs in every deptarment, every day, but they intentionally interview people they KNOW they won't hire?

- Why hire reinterviews then? Yet it happens all of the time.

- The "if you're qualified you will get an interview" days are gone for now. Yet the hiring percentage is about the same as it was. That tells me that there is something beyond numbers at work here, something that they can only determine face to face.

Freep, I am sorry it didn't work out for you. I am batting .750 for the freinds I have tried to help and I can't break the code on why some guys got turned down. So I sure don't have all of the answers, but I'll bet you all the tea in China that they only call in candidates who they think they'll hire.

Good luckand tailwinds to all ...

Man this thread is taken on a life of its own. For those who don't like our process then don't apply, we a not forcing anyone. The process is what it is, no dirty secrets (like we already know who we a going to hire). No preference for military over civilian (and oh by the way if you haven't ever flown in the military don't rag about your hours vs. theirs because they are not the same good or bad---if your military and have never flown with an airline it also is not the same so don't think one is better than the other). The vast majority of us at SWA enjoy the airline and those it hires, and that is what truely matters.

If an applicant made it to the DB, but was not selected, does that person go into some sort "maybe next year" pile? I have heard many people get selected on subsequent interviews. I'm wondering how difficult it is to get that second chance, when there are so many qualified people who have not yet interviewed.

Latest resources

Back