SWA DB- DING You suck!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Capt1124 said:
I'm glad so many people, particularly Southwest pilots, have been able to maintain the belief that life is fair and everybody gets what they deserve. That's easy to do if things work out they way you planned.

I don't think life is fair. But your point is taken. Anyone selected for SWA should be thankful. Those that aren't selected are not unworthy. Anyone selected for interview and many who aren't are also "worthy".

In the end airlines hire who they want to hire. To even get to an interview requires a statistically improbable run of good fortune on top of the effort involved.

Airline management, I'm guessing, goes to great pain to figure out how to get those they want onto the property and how to keep them. SWA's focus seems to be shifting and may continue to do so in the years ahead. The shift has not only been in the quality of applicants and the new competitive first officer compensation package. There has also been a shift in the time to captain upgrade. It slowed down from '01-'04 and, after the hiring boom scheduled to mature '09-'12, it will likely slow down again. Perhaps permantently. Applicants hot to make captain quick will be looking at other options. Can we get to a situation where SWA newhires might leave for greener pastures? That is expensive and management wants to limit those events. Not right or wrong, just is. As hiring continues big at CAL and Airtran, SWA will once again be the underdog at some point. Even if only during a brief, unexpected hiring lull and rumors of delayed plane orders. I don't think SWA's overall hiring style will change that much. SWA wants to maintain the style of the interview with minor tweaks here and there to reflect current realities. But the process isn't perfect and individuals will get disappointed who should have been selected.

They invite lots of people to interview so they can be very selective and hire the people they really like and they think will be ideal employees. And pilots want to work for Southwest bad enough that many (I don't know the percentage) will go out and pay for the type rating just for the chance to go to the interview.

I truly believe SWA is searching for a balance here. Too many applications on file create a tough situation. SWA would lose too many top applicants if it took 2 years to get to their application.

They make the interview "friendly" and "positive" so you will let down your guard and they can examine you more closely.

Yes. They also want to show you how SWA employees interact with one another and the customer. I find it a plus because it is more enjoyable to work with other "friendly" employees. Some people really don't care and you know who you are.

If you get the job, you can maintain and strengthen the belief that you're one of the special, chosen ones and you really are better than everybody else.

C'mon. I don't believe that and the bravado you see on flightinfo is just a negative response to cries of PFT and "you're just a regional pilot". No one really thinks that. All of us here are too sensitive. SWA guys being hurt by negative comments and applicants by SWA pilots who brag about how good it is to be here. flightinfo is a place where hurt feelings get aired.

If you don't get the job you make other plans for your life.

Backup plans are good. I've had to use the backup plan a couple of times myself. And I'm often surprised when its not required.

The large majority of SWA pilots I run into are more humble than the average pilot. And I hope it stays that way.

Last edited:
Hey Gator.... I had the exact same experience and same result! Except it happened twice with me. 1998/ 2004. And I had 4 LOR`s, 2200 hours in the 737. So, dont feel too bad im in the same boat brother...and i felt the same afterwards.

I went through the same thing in feb. I interviewed with 11 great, well qualified guys and only one was hired. Think about that before you decide to pay for your type rating. SWA is still my #1 choice and I will reapply. Just don't believe all the BS human resources spews about hiring everyone that is qualified and fits the SWA mold. SWA is only hiring around 30% of the people they interview. $7000 and two weeks training are a high price to pay for a 30% chance of getting hired. If I had it to do over again, I'd still choose to get the 737 type even though I haven't been hired yet. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't take the shot. Maybe next year...

Let's Get It Straight

LoveGun said:
...Just don't believe all the BS human resources spews about hiring everyone that is qualified and fits the SWA mold. ...

The referenced post is BS!! They have never said this. The only things the SWA PD say about hiring are:

(1) How many pilots are projected to be hired during the year, and

(2) They would LIKE to hire everyone who interviews.

Simple logic shows that if only 500 (for example) are going to be hired, then not everyone interviewed that is qualified and fits the mold will be hired. This is consistent with EVERY carrier, EVERY engineering job, EVERY ditch-digging job, etc.

Whew...I feel better now. Peace out.

Latest resources

Back