Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlyBoeingJets said:
Talk about being hustled for your job search dollar with no reward--

I think FedEx is far more efficient. FedEx charges $50 and doesn't even spend a dime on a phone call, let alone an interview. You don't need a type or anything to apply to FedEx so many more pilots get sucked into paying the $50 to FedEx and the $200 for FE writtens. I say FedEx is the more successful hustler.

Its all about volume....

OK, the cat is out of the bag now! How do you think FedEx posted a couple BILLION dollars in profit last year? A BIG chunk of it was from that $50 fee they charge to pilot applicants!:p

Gatorade said:
Really wasnt going to post, but it suprises me than no one else has. I guess most of us are just lurkers.
To all purspective applicants and/or interviewers here's is the skinny, at least from recent hiring practices, specifically June .
Over the past year and before my interview with SWA the only thing I heard about the interview process, how great it was! We're different from other airlines! We're a big family! Feel they Luv'! If you fit the SWA family! Sounds great. Im in.
Here's my experience-
Interviewed in June, the whole process was enjoyable. Everyone I met extremely nice. Before the interview started, SWA recruiters told us how great it was to have us all there and stated several times "We want to hire all of you!".
After my day was complete, felt great about the whole process, I couldnt have be more pleased on how everything went. Did better than I thought I would. No regrets. Before lunchtime, less the 24 hours after my interview was complete, references were called. holla!!! 3 weeks later, DB met, calls went out, I got nothing. Boo freaking hoo. Oh well.
WHAT DIGUSTS ME THE MOST ABOUT SWA!!! OR THE PROCESS!
I met roughly 20 guys the day I interviewd, I'd say except for maybe 2 or 3 guys, all seemed to be very outgoing, friendly, all pretty decent guys, excited about being future SWA new hires, if all went well. Out of the 20 or so there, the SWA DB hired 4 of us. Roughly the same number from the other interview groups in June. Most of the ones hired. seemed to be retired military guys. I was told out of the 100 or so interviews in June, they hired 20 folks.
WHAT THE HELL??? WHERE IS THE LUV???
It's disgusting! SWA you should be ashamed of yourselves. Thanks for wasting all our time and money. If your not hiring than many pilots, stop fu#$ing calling guys for the interview. If you want military guys, call just Military guys. Have a soul, for gods sake. Stop boasting about your company culture and how great your company is and sending these poor little lambs to the slaughter. Give us a chance, and STOP lying to us, saying "We want to hire all of y'all" . I just feel like I got hustled out of $8000 and 3 weeks of vacation.

SERENITY NOW! SERENITY NOW!

Whew...I feel better!

Hopefully you guys at the August DB have a better chance.

flame away, flamers!!!

Don't be to hard on yourself or SWA for that matter. SWA is not the last word in an airline career. I recall Western Airlines turning down a fellow that had just come out of the AF becuase he had not been flying anything "big". Most of his recent time was in the SR71! The little fag that worked in the "employment office" in those days just didn't get it. UAL picked the guy up in a nano-second.

You will have many other opportunities and maybe another one at SWA if it really is that important. Like a lot of the previous posters have said, attitude and keeping your eye on the prize will serve well.

Good luck what ever comes your way!

I had 7 airline interviews in my career so far and I got hired out of 3 of them with SWA being my last one after my last airline chapter 11/7 at Midway airlines. Life isnt perfect and if you want the job, unfortunately you have to spend the time and money and jump through the hoops. I can tell you there is alot more airlines out there that does alot worse job of notifing you when your turned down than SWA does. In the late 80's I got my rejection letter from United on Christmas Eve after waisting 4 days of my life (in Chicago and Denver) and money I didnt have at the time. Hows that for a class act! FWIW, I am now glad they didnt hire me!

Just food for thought for you and others reading this thread. Because you made it to the BD doesnt mean you will get hired as you unfortunately found out. The DB only takes 20-24 out of the group thats on the table at the time. Since you made it to the DB that means SWA does in fact want to hire you. But they have to pick what they think is the best of the group. But for some reason you werent in the group that was picked. This is where networking really pays off if you know someone on the inside! Make sure your name is ingrained in one of the Chiefs heads before the DB!

It does suck not to get hired, I have been there and done that many times before. Hang in there, your experiances will make you a better person down the road.

Taking my moderator hat off for a minute, I have to smile about the lead post in this thread. Man, how times change. Four years ago, these posts were a dime a dozen and you just swapped UAL for SWA.

When it's a buyers market (and it is) the buyers are picky- very picky. When somebody remarked that they wanted to hire all of you, they probably did. If every one of the interviewees did as well as the ones that got hired, every one would have been hired. But that's not the way it is. When you're looking at buying a bunch of banannas, they're ALL banannas, but a few are more to your liking- that's what you buy and that's your perogative- and theirs.

I can speak with some experience when I say that any professional interviewer should attempt to put you at ease. They want you to do your best and it's a waste of their time if at the end of the interview, they can't recommend hiring you. They are supposed to smile and be cordial and pleasant. Would you really want them to be any other way? Also, earlier in the thread, someone was ragging on UAL for only hiring maybe one in five applicants. That's a great batting average when you've seen some of the prospects that are our there. It's also amusing to hear about some of the stories about the "great guys" that didn't get hired. Trust me when I say that there was a reason, like it or not that they didn't get hired. Some don't know it- others won't admit it. It only makes intuitive sense that if they're going to take the time (and expense) to process you, that they SHOULD want to hire you. The hard and honest truth is: Applicants UN-HIRE themselves. Sorry.

It sounds as is maybe one of the references wasn't as flattering as you thought they would be. And remember, people aren't going to tell you if they said something disparaging about you. Who knows, maybe they said you were a whiner?

You were culled out at the final review board. Count yourself lucky! So many don't make it that far. Could it be a medical condition that you are unaware of? That cost me a job at AA and a loss of 150 numbers at UAL until I found out about it. If you took a physical for them, I'd seriously spend the money and have an EXACT physical as the one you took for them and be sure. That saved my bacon.

As others have said, it's not fun to be turned down, but it's not the end of the world either- unless you make it so. Your time will come again and if you are who you think you are, it'll all work out.

UAL78

Last edited:
Hang in There

Gatorade,

You spent a lot of time and effort to achieve a goal that's temporarily unmet. You have a right to feel disappointed, if not a little disgusted.

Did you have any guidance on the interview process? A little instruction helps a lot. It's not everyday that you sit across from a person who controls your future while he/she asks you to coherently explain how you've handled problems and unusual situations in your past.

If you can stick it out at your current position while maintaining a good attitude until SWA gives you a second chance, I truly believe that your next interviewers at Southwest will respect your perseverance and commitment to fly for SWA.

Good luck on your next interview opportunity at SWA if you choose to pursue it. I'm pulling for you.

hank

Gator,

I have to agree with UAL78, you passed the interview man. It was the background check or the references that got you. If you don't pass the interview they don't even waste a dime calling your references. You might want to talk to your previous employers, perhaps send them each a case of beer before your next interview...

To others, regarding part of what UAL78 said about medical problems. SWA doesn't do an interview physical, if you have a first class medical, that's good enough for them.

Latest resources

Back