• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA DB- DING You suck!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ding...you are free to move about the country!

Just one follow up though in this string if you will, I have a few friends who happen to be fairly long timers at SWA. (Please don't hold the fact that Calvin considers them friends turn you against them, they don't know that I'm Calvin)

Back to the thought,,,,,,,,,, These pilots are worried about the quality of your newhires.

Back in the day, SWA was not a six-hundred pound gorilla, they weren't UAL/DAL nor AA, they were the underdog. The pilots were mostly glad to work there, but somewhat defensive because most of their peers (read their buds at UAL, etc) looked down upon them. In other words, they continually fought to gain respect, they worked harder and longer. There's nothing like the desire to overcome for motivation. Most SWA hires for the first twenty years or so, understood this and as such, maintained a healthy level of humility. They strove to overcome.

Now, it would appear that the PD has changed. Instead of hiring the overachieving underdog, SWA wants to hire the same politically savy, a-hole kissers that were in such demand at places like DL in recent years. \

Hey SWA I've got a tip. Just hire like you did fifteen years ago.

The pilots you hired then have been an integral part of your success. Why have you replaced your proven formula with the formula used by now failing airlines? (BTW, this is rhetoric, and not intended to imply that pilot hiring has anything to do with the failure of any current airline)

I'll venture a guess that you in the PD are so darned impressed that the waterwalking ring pounders who walked right past your AirInc booth in 2000 to get to a legacys booth are now lining up at your door, that you've convinced yourself that they're there because you are so special. Wrong.

In other words, Hey SWA PD, don't let the current job market go to your head. The kind of pilots you hired in 1995 were good enough then, so go after more of the same now. Let those who were too good for you then wait for a recall at their first choice.

You know I'm right.

Cal

A few points from a coaches perspective....

Yes...the process can be manipulated...to a point. Good coaching helps, but there are no secret code words to success. We've averaged 75-80%..good numbers but we also get frustrated when someone we really like is in that 20-25%. Interviewing ain't a perfect science... You get 45 minutes with 3 strangers that define the rest of your life (or at least the next 12 months), and dispite the pretty smiles it is a VERY tough process.

The mil/civ thing irritates me. Lately, a lot of the guys who have gotten their b@lls crushed have been military. I've helped a whole bunch of Texas based regional guys be successful. So...if you are from a regional DO NOT BE INITIMIDATED BY SOMEONE WITH A DIFFERENT BACKGROUND...and to my fighter bros...stay humble...Express Jet pilots have the highest pk of any group I've coached at SWA. So when I hear some civilian guys say "its a military club..." I get a bit beaked, (but not Mozam Beeked for those in on the joke) because at FedEx and SWA there have been a LOT of sharp regional guys hired lately, and almost all of us know a pretty good fighter pilot who was shown the door at both companies. Lately, it seems the military guys think they are getting a rough deal if they are still flying in the reserves, and the civilian guys think the military guys get hired in larger numbers. As a coach, I can tell you the truth is its tough out there right now for everyone, and there is no "automatic" hiring.

While SWA and FDX were SOME people's first choice 95-00, a lot of very qualified guys given mutliple offers went with UAL, DAL, etc etc. Now things are different. It is true that perhaps there is a bit of " 'tude" now by some on the hiring panels, but I still think both companies have tried to just take the best of what they have available. It IS a tougher now to get on at FDX than in the past, and I imagine its the same way at SWA. We can long for the "good old days", but our wishing won't change the facts.

Damn! I feel your pain! No words of wisdom here. Rejection is a Mutha Fucka!
They are a great airline to jumpseat on and I'll leave it at that!

HOLA!!

Whatever!

So what Gatman, you did not win but you lossed. You really do not learn anything from life when you win a game but you learn much about yourself, your friends, life when you lose. Watch ESPN enough times like I do and you learn that lesson. Man I got hired by UAL then got furloughed 6 months later. Wanted to work for somebody else but they didn't call. Worked for Great Plains, went out of business. Boeing, laid off. SWA called, interviewed, sure everybody was nice, but I felt like Gretzky at 38, everybody was skating circles around me, had a bad day, but references were called, then the letter, oh well back to the Wylie Coyote ACME drawing board. You know crap happens. Don't sweat it man, you live in the greatest country in the world, this is not the feudal system, you can recreate yourself into anyone or anything you want to be. You have the right to be pissed, that's only natural, and the snipers FOs taking potshots at you, well we know quite a few great dudes and dudettes and losers, jackholes, etc who have been hired by X airline so whatever homies. So take a deep breath bro, this probably happened for a reason in the big scheme of things (heard that many times I guess!) and keep busy living because the future is bright in this free world we are fortunate to live in. Keep living the dream and yes the interview process is really just a silly crazy charade.

Gatorade said:
turbojet...blah blah blah. reread the post. you missed the point.

name one industry where the majority of interviewees are hired.

i hope like all hell that airlines are picky about who they hire. they are where they are because they hire losers.

just because the majority didn't get hired doesn't mean the process is flawed. grow up and get over it.

jackbo said:
name one industry where the majority of interviewees are hired.

...just because the majority didn't get hired doesn't mean the process is flawed. grow up and get over it.

A-freaking-men again.

gern_blanston said:
Another really great attitude that I'm sure doesn't show during the interview.

Why don't you shut your hole. You have no idea how I interview.

Latest resources

Back