• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA crew names released

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Latest: PF does the through flight (clnce, atis, OPC, FMC loading etc...) regardless of seat position...a pprune rumor...

If you guys would just read what I said...The tiller is located on the CPs side, it is there for taxiing and yes I use it for some initial directional control on T/O, duh, never on landing, but if I ever find myself heading for the dirt, why wouldn't I use it to assist the rudder to stay on the pavement (an unlikely event calls for exceptional correction) the HUD is on the CPs side, these are tools not available to the FO...I have landed planes on ships day and night, I don't give a rats ass what you guys think of my flying skills, never had an incident in 30 years of flying...pile on if it meets your personal agenda, (hey I was a pissed off FO too, for far longer than anyone on this forum), but get over yourselves, this is easy flying that the weak pilots want to complicate...the frikken 737 flies itself...

Like using the HUD for a VFR takeoff or a method of your own that you think (wrongly BTW!) makes for a safer t/o?

Latest: PF does the through flight (clnce, atis, OPC, FMC loading etc...) regardless of seat position...a pprune rumor...

Sounds like how we did it long ago on the DC-9: PF took care of the "inside" stuff, PNF did the walkaround. That usually left enough time to grab a snack. :)

I watched many SWA CPs (including Check airman) keep their hand on the tiller until APPROACHING 60 knots on the T/O roll then transition the LH to the yoke....On landing I was told on UOE to keep a hand on the Tiller and S/B lever during the FO's landing...Hey I did not make these techniques up...As far as using the HUD on a VFR T/O, how is that dangerous?? You can see through the HUD and it does provide some protection...I certainly don't use it on MOST T/O's unless I am getting close to going to training, I should use it more...

I am an average pilot and willing to learn from my esteemed colleagues on FI, are these bad techniques??

I think the Continental 737 in Denver that went off runway a few years ago the captain was on the tiller during the takeoff roll. I have always used the rudder pedals when on the runway, as that's how they trained me. I was simply told not to use the tiller on the roll,,,so that's what I do.

I think the Continental 737 in Denver that went off runway a few years ago the captain was on the tiller during the takeoff roll. I have always used the rudder pedals when on the runway, as that's how they trained me. I was simply told not to use the tiller on the roll,,,so that's what I do.

Yup. If the rudder and nosewheel steering together (through the pedals) aren't getting it done, grabbing the tiller is almost guaranteed to make it worse, not better.

I watched many SWA CPs (including Check airman) keep their hand on the tiller until APPROACHING 60 knots on the T/O roll then transition the LH to the yoke...

Yes, but there is a big difference between guarding the tiller in case one engine lets go at low speed (before the rudder is effective) and using the tiller on T/O.

Latest resources

Back