• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA crew names released

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At Southwest, the only CA-only landing is EWY (Key West).

Although a couple of times when they did work in BWI on the intersection of the main runways (28 and 33L), it necessitated the use of the small VFR-only RWY 4. That has happened twice since I've been here, and I think it was for a period of a week or less in both cases. That special case was also CA-only.

Also, at SNA, that is a CA-only takeoff (typically the FO lands to maintain the alternating flow of legs), with its special cutback procedure.

Bubba

All sounds odd. No captain only restrictions anywhere at UAL, takeoff or landing.

All sounds odd. No captain only restrictions anywhere at UAL, takeoff or landing.

odd for good reason-

Two schools of thought here

Capt only : let the most senior (usually the most experienced) land at challenging places

Either: let the FO experience things for the first time with the more senior captain there to help if need be.

I clearly agree with the later philosophy- otherwise when the FO upgrades- now they've never taken off at SNA or landed at key west- and might be paired with a brand new FO when they do those for the first time-
Seriously, we aren't flying to aspen here- and RJ drivers do that all day

At the major airline level??? Everyone's experienced enough to handle anything line flying throws- and if not- go get some experience before we hire you-

odd for good reason-

At the major airline level??? Everyone's experienced enough to handle anything line flying throws- and if not- go get some experience before we hire you-

It's not about the experience level, it's about the liability. Since the Captain is ultimately responsible for anything that goes wrong, he or she is the one who gets hung. I also think it gives the Captain an "out", to help promote a good cockpit atmosphere. Rather than telling an FO he/she isn't comfortable with you landing at the short airport near max landing weight, they can just brief it's Captain only, avoiding any hurt feelings.

She took the airplane below 400ft and crashed it. So much for CRM.

Pretty much sums up terrible CRM nicely!
My point is that it has nothing to do with gender. If a Male said I got it and crashed it would be equally bad and of course history is riddled with plenty of males guilty of even worse CRM digressions than this.
If your CRM skills suck, they suck no matter what your gender.

It's not about the experience level, it's about the liability. Since the Captain is ultimately responsible for anything that goes wrong, he or she is the one who gets hung. I also think it gives the Captain an "out", to help promote a good cockpit atmosphere. Rather than telling an FO he/she isn't comfortable with you landing at the short airport near max landing weight, they can just brief it's Captain only, avoiding any hurt feelings.

Really?

At the major airline level it's about sensitive feelers and captains not trusting their FO's to fly as well as them?

Sorry man, but that's ridiculous- maybe that's a little bit necessary in a probation year- maybe first couple of years for certain backgrounds- but most major pilots have been flying transport category jets in both seats for years before they ever sit day 1 in class- and a strong captain doesn't need a restriction placed on ALL FO's to do what they feel is best in a situation.

"Captain only" is just odd. No other way to say it.
Except maybe 'condescending'

Why do I feel like our profession is being so dumbed down...(?)

Tiller an HUD guidance give CP side an ergonomic advantage...

The tiller is for taxiing homie. If you're using it to land an airplane you're doing it incorrectly. Apart from CAT 2 and 3 approaches, the HUD is a moo point as well. Plenty of pilots land 737s every day without one.

Yes, that's right. I said moo.

The tiller is for taxiing homie. If you're using it to land an airplane you're doing it incorrectly. Apart from CAT 2 and 3 approaches, the HUD is a moo point as well. Plenty of pilots land 737s every day without one.

Yes, that's right. I said moo.

Spot on with that one. I vaguely remember a CO airplane that went off the runway in a strong crosswind. I forget the particulars other than reading that the Captain was trying to steer the airplane with the tiller at something north of 100 kts. I was blown away that someone would use the tiller for directional control on T/O at that speed.
Two perfectly good airplanes crashed while trying to land in nice weather.
Gotta wonder what the FAA response is going to be. The Asian carrier over dependence on technology and weak CRM is well known, but a SWA crew that has spent their career at the airline doing nothing but fly 737's and frankly, I would peg the SWA crews as having the polar opposite cockpit environment of the Asian crews (professional but friendly and relaxed) so the two accidents will be pretty hard to come up with a common denominator.
Perhaps an hour in a taildragger at recurrent?

Spot on with that one. I vaguely remember a CO airplane that went off the runway in a strong crosswind. I forget the particulars other than reading that the Captain was trying to steer the airplane with the tiller at something north of 100 kts. I was blown away that someone would use the tiller for directional control on T/O at that speed.
Two perfectly good airplanes crashed while trying to land in nice weather.
Gotta wonder what the FAA response is going to be. The Asian carrier over dependence on technology and weak CRM is well known, but a SWA crew that has spent their career at the airline doing nothing but fly 737's and frankly, I would peg the SWA crews as having the polar opposite cockpit environment of the Asian crews (professional but friendly and relaxed) so the two accidents will be pretty hard to come up with a common denominator.
Perhaps an hour in a taildragger at recurrent?

A few days ago we were passed by a SWA jet taxiing at considerable speed. The F.O. remarked to me that the SWA Captain was "taxiing like he stole it". I said - "That's Mad Jack. He did steal it. First he stole the seat, now he's making off with the rest of the jet".

:D

i made that up. It's all a lie

Really?

At the major airline level it's about sensitive feelers and captains not trusting their FO's to fly as well as them?

Sorry man, but that's ridiculous- maybe that's a little bit necessary in a probation year- maybe first couple of years for certain backgrounds- but most major pilots have been flying transport category jets in both seats for years before they ever sit day 1 in class- and a strong captain doesn't need a restriction placed on ALL FO's to do what they feel is best in a situation.

"Captain only" is just odd. No other way to say it.
Except maybe 'condescending'

Why do I feel like our profession is being so dumbed down...(?)

Maybe you are right. I've always accepted it based on the temperament of the airline managers, POI and the airlines history. Some Captain only stuff is retarded. SWA is more restrictive than others in that way. But that's changing.

Latest resources

Back