SWA crew names released

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wave,

Tiller helps with every take off and you know as well as I do we fly SNA Departures on the HUD...The argument is that the pilots are no better in either seat, just the CP has more tools at his finger tips...could argue that the FOs are BETTER at takeoffs and approaches because "all" they have are flt contols and F/Ds...the company is covering its collective ass with these "CP only" apps and landings....it was always shocking to me that as an FO I could NOT shoot an approach to CAT 1 mins??

Ty,

Pls put me back on your ignore list...respect is earned not given, we all were CPs at our pre-SWA airline or mil unit...get used to the fact that you are a new SWA pilot, and you have a lot to learn about your new company...being a newbie SW FO will be a humbling experience for you, but you will have to do it, because we all did...

From reading your posts, you're probably due for some humbling yourself . . . Good luck with that tiller technique, "Skipper". If I fly with you, I'll be sure to don a neck brace. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah, your gonna be the bozo on the van who knows everything and has to get the last word in on EVERY conversation...can't wait...Tex is right this is the easiest flying I have ever done, but I love the aces on here who try to make it more than what it is...like Dicko, if u are in the LHS and you ain't guarding the tiller and speed brake, ur a fool and NOT doing your job! Jeez, sounds like the tranny's will need some seasoning...

Yeah, your gonna be the bozo on the van who knows everything and has to get the last word in on EVERY conversation...can't wait...Tex is right this is the easiest flying I have ever done, but I love the aces on here who try to make it more than what it is...like Dicko, if u are in the LHS and you ain't guarding the tiller and speed brake, ur a fool and NOT doing your job! Jeez, sounds like the tranny's will need some seasoning...

Okay, Crazy Train. :laugh:

Maybe, if you play your cards right, some senior Capt will call out sick, and you'll get permission to double-deadhead out of OAK to do some weekday flying with me.

In the meantime, keep guarding your toys.

Last edited:
OAK is the easiest airport we have, you will like it when you start commuting there from ATL, I recommend the Red Lion, a bit further away fm the war zone. Happy Trails Ace...If we fly together I will even pretend to give a ******************** about how good you had it at the "little a" and how you got screwed when SWA bought your little airline...I got good CRM skills...

being a newbie SW FO will be a humbling experience for you, but you will have to do it, because we all did...

The difference being, you volunteered for it, we didn't.

you have a lot to learn about your new company...

Everything we need to know about SW was taught to us during SLI negotiations and the ensuing threats and ultimatums. SW is a cult of egotistical hypocrites. That was demonstrated over and over. We all got it. Thanks.

I stole nothing you ******************************B...

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. Our airplanes are going to SW and our pilots are all going to the right seat. You're stealing our seats, anyone with a brain cell knows what's going on here, capt tiller.

Holy crap. SWA has Captains that think they should be using the tiller for directional control on T/O or landing????? MadJack....NOOOOOO... pilots that use the tiller in the way that you describe are guilty of poor operational procedures. Sorry, there is no other way to put it. You do not even remotely need to use the tiller for directional control unless you have some very unusual mechanical problem. Are you one of the pilots that taxis like Danica Patrick? It might be that you are using the tiller for "high speeds" on a taxiway and that has somehow translated into thinking the tiller is appropriate for take off speeds too. It isn't. This is a classic example of why you taxi at "taxi" speeds and the T/O regime is a whole different deal. All you need for T/O is rudder in any wind condition you are legal to fly in.

Wave,

Tiller helps with every take off and you know as well as I do we fly SNA Departures on the HUD...The argument is that the pilots are no better in either seat, just the CP has more tools at his finger tips...could argue that the FOs are BETTER at takeoffs and approaches because "all" they have are flt contols and F/Ds...the company is covering its collective ass with these "CP only" apps and landings....it was always shocking to me that as an FO I could NOT shoot an approach to CAT 1 mins??

Ty,

Pls put me back on your ignore list...respect is earned not given, we all were CPs at our pre-SWA airline or mil unit...get used to the fact that you are a new SWA pilot, and you have a lot to learn about your new company...being a newbie SW FO will be a humbling experience for you, but you will have to do it, because we all did...

FL guys fly the same departure..without a HUD or a tiller (didn't pay extra for it..the tiller), for half the wages. However, SWA has made a profit for 41 yrs...must be doing everthing right. Times don't change and there is absolutely no reason to adapt to the current environment.

Yes MADJACK,you are correct in your statement..the tiller does help with every takeoff. It helps you get from the gate to runway centerline. If you need it beyond that point.....WTF?.. and I am sorry.

Using a tiller for directional control on the runway is the epitome of poor airmanship and outright dangerous. One day he'll learn, he's new in the seat.

Sorry to stir this pot further, but.....I really have to wonder..... thinking the t/o is an extension of taxiing the airplane (using the tiller for directional control) sure seems like a problem caused by the whole "we taxi faster than you to get ahead of you warrior spirit" thing.

The goal is to smoothly (read no more than 10 kts around a corner) and safely taxi onto the runway. Then take off. Taxiing like Dario Franchitti sets you up for all kinds of potential problems, this appears to be one of them.

I see a correlation between thinking the tiller should be used at high speeds being the result of thinking that taxiing to the departure runway counts as a qualifying lap for the flight ahead.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back