Straight shootin' about JetBlue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Falconjet said:

That may help alleviate any fears somebody might have of not being able to get out of the contract if they want to go work somewhere else.

FJ

There isn't any worry about "getting out" of the contract, lots of pilots have left JBLU. Again, the contract is the carrot to keep a union from forming, not a stick to keep pilots in indentured servitude.

Hobiehawker said:
Your a coward. Hide behind that mask. Its the only power you have. You personally give Fedex pilots a bad name. Never any substance to any post. You really are a flamebaiting coward.
Whoop, Whoop, HOBIE ALERT, HOBIE ALERT!!!!, Whoop, Whoop. . .
BTW - I'm not very good at hiding. . . . Sorry I missed you earlier. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hobiehawker said:
Your a coward. Hide behind that mask. Its the only power you have. You personally give Fedex pilots a bad name. Never any substance to any post. You really are a flamebaiting coward.

Wow! An ally! Don't give this guy much thought. He's not worth it.

People are always going to take issue with others who are happy with a particular job.

JetBlue is a good place to work. Im sure it has its problems. Afterall, the company is just out of its infancy stage. FedEx, SWA etc, were all the same at some point.
JetBlue isnt bringing down the industry anymore than a regional, a legacy or a freight carrier. They are doing what it takes right now to build a solid foundation. Every company underpaid its pilots at some point and most have rewarded them later on. JetBlue probably wont be any different.

Personaly I find most of these posts comical. People come out of the woodwork to point out faults or make dated comparisons. Why? who knows, the reasons are too many to number.

When you think about how JetBlue will treat its employees it will have everything to do with how its competitors treat their employees. It will also be shaped by how competitor's employees treat their company. If other airlines have gutted wages and benefits, look for JetBlue to react. JetBlue's management relies on comparing what is offered by union carriers and then reacts to it. JetBlue's emphasis on keeping unions out demands it. Just by focusing on staying competitive with industry average, JetBlue saves a percentage of what a union shop would demand, brilliant.

One could then argue JetBlue pilots are getting the benefits of a union without the dues. Wages could be higher but they are high enough to attract new pilots and keep those on the payroll happy. Brilliant.

But in bad times the double edged sword will cut, or may just cut off the fat. There is nothing to keep JetBlue from reducing said wages and benefits. Ironically, this also takes advantage of traditional airline negotiated contracts. When current wages and benefits are unsupportable, a company has to continue to honor them all the way into BK. JetBlue will be able to cut at will. Once again, brilliant.

It may be criminal to offer the lowered wages being paid now, but the young pilot locked into this career is not looking at that. They are looking at how much debt is piling on at some carriers and how others are buying new airplanes. Union stubborness is not causing the industry woes, but they are exacerbating it at some companies by protecting unsustainable pensions. Who will pay for it? Management? Government? No way. The bottom 50% of employees who have 10+ years left at the company will suck it up.

What kind of airline do you think the new crop of young pilots want to work for??

FlyBoeingJets said:
There is nothing to keep JetBlue from reducing said wages and benefits. Ironically, this also takes advantage of traditional airline negotiated contracts. When current wages and benefits are unsupportable, a company has to continue to honor them all the way into BK. JetBlue will be able to cut at will. Once again, brilliant.

That's simply not true. JBLU's pilot contract does not allow them to unilaterally change pay. That's what I was talking about earlier--the contract offers benefits that are generally only available to union shops.

Maybe some JBLU guy can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure that the contract terms are just that: contract terms that can't be modified without both parties agreeing.

What really surprised me was the no-furlough clause. I wonder if they are kicking themselves for popping that one in there?

The E190 pay rates are a different story: since different aircraft types weren't included in the contract, the pay was fair game for the company to pick at will. I wonder if they sent out an addendum to the contract that guys had to sign when the E190 pay was introduced. I guess at that time, anyone could have refused.

radarlove said:
That's simply not true. JBLU's pilot contract does not allow them to unilaterally change pay. That's what I was talking about earlier--the contract offers benefits that are generally only available to union shops.

O.K. I stand corrected. But that doesn't make sense to me.

Do JetBlue pilots typically fly more than guarantee? Do they do it so often that they come to expect it? If so, then a pay cut could be imposed just by taking away optional overtime flying. Since overtime is 150% of pay that would be significant.

Then when the next 5 year contract comes up, they can reduce the rates.

Not saying it is likely or bad, just looking at what is legal and possible.

The no furlough during the 5 year period is a pretty sweet deal.

Last edited:
In the midst of current instability and ever increasing fuel prices a company who treats its employees fairly and has a fair chance of making it is all you can ask for.

Until 9-11, the majority of pilots would not have looked twice at SWA or FedEx for example. Why, because of low pay(comparatively) on one hand and back side of the clock flying on the other. Today in the post 9-11 era these are two of the most sought after jobs around.

Why, because of perceived stability. The big bucks still reign in at FedEx and SWA is humane towards its employees.

JetBlue is just another facet to this conversation. Some stability, good treatment and maybe some good things to come in the future.

Like I said, 10 years ago pilots rarely looked at FedEx and SWA as careers. Today those guys look pretty friggin' smart.

I extend the question as well, what type of airline do you want to work for?

FlyBoeingJets said:
Do JetBlue pilots typically fly more than guarantee? Do they do it so often that they come to expect it? If so, then a pay cut could be imposed just by taking away optional overtime flying. Since overtime is 150% of pay that would be significant.

That's a good point. I suspect, by reading the JBLU postings that the 150% over-ride or overtime or whatever they call it is being bastardized by the super-senior guys sucking up a gazillion flight hours and the junior guys on reserve getting guarantee and none of the tasty overtime.

I think your suspicion is right, with the overtime pay scale, they can significantly reduce costs by simply limiting the flying so those guys that are earning 130 credit hours are suddenly making 70 instead.

Latest resources

Back