• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Straight shootin' about JetBlue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good God y'all. Starting a thread on JetBlue is like throwing a match into a fireworks factory!

But to those who answered my initial question, THANK YOU.

To those who love to argue I will add only this: the airline industry is riddled with unions because over time, unions have proven to be an effective tool (not always, but more often than not). Nobody really wants a union, but union's are born out of necessity. At JetBlue things are good now (insert 190 pay arguement here if you must, but newhires know this coming in). Most JB pilots will probably agrue that a union is not needed now. But when things do get tough for JB in the future, the real character of their management will be seen. If they are anything like SWA managers, everything will be fine. JB will take care of their employees. But if they are not, and there is no union to protect each pilot, pilots will once again be offerred to the gods of aviation as sacrificial lambs.

Peace out.
- TT

"I suspect, by reading the JBLU postings that the 150% over-ride or overtime or whatever they call it is being bastardized by the super-senior guys sucking up a gazillion flight hours and the junior guys on reserve getting guarantee and none of the tasty overtime".

You forgot to call them the boys in leather:)

As for raking in the overtime, some people work a lot, some people don't. I know super senior guys who much prefer to have time off, I know junior guys who will work to the bone. Heck, there are months were I fly less than reserve guarantee. I prefer to be home.

What is a problem, but is so at all places, is that you cannot get a great schedule and lots of flying, if you are junior. As always, there is a tradeoff.

I think jetblue is a nice place to work and I think mangement do some good things and some bad things, but more good than bad. I am however afraid, that some people who hire on, forget that it is after all still an airline with all the realities that entails such as red eyes, seniority, scheduling. Failing to understand that, they get disappointed with the company.

Heck, what do I know, I am just along for the ride:)

Can anyone tell me conclusively if going to a job fair has any impact on getting an interview?

No "it can't hurt" please.

Hi Goggles,Attending a job fair neither helps or hurts, unless you're Kit Darby, then it helps... him that is. Apply online and keep updating. Thats what makes a difference.

Reality

It is very hard to average more than 95-100 credit hours. First is the FAA 30/7 and 250/ quarter and 1000/year for block.

We have very few rigged trips and if they are rigged it is because they per day are not that productive so if you try to stack a lot of rigged trips you run into the 24/7 rule.

A check airman can do pretty good, but that job becomes a labor of love after awhile.

So most guys work above minumum and average say 85 per month so 15 hrs at premium pay. It is a rare month to exceed 95-100. Our Scheduling rules only let us schedule 95 hours, you can go over during IROPS, with vacation pay, training pay etc.

130 credit hours with premium over 70 is pretty much impossible without IROPs and a lot of luck.

TonyC said:
Do you have anything to contribute that is pertinent to the topic?

What does my background have to do with anything?

:rolleyes:

well tony c....i am glad you asked! please don't take this personally, but rather as a lesson to those with similar career profiles as yourself. we all know who they are!!

i am curious what makes you the resident "expert" in commercial PASSENGER aviation.....without commercial PASSENGER aviation experience? most of the bubbas i have flown with and jumpseated with at the legacies....and even B6 know when to "shut up and color" when it comes to understanding the true economics of the passenger airline industry. they learn A LOT while sitting next to ol timers who have been through 5 airlines and 2 furloughs from jobs they were promised to retire from! you can't GAIN experience from reading all the books....just as you can't assume the job as captain by reading FLYING magazine! EXPERIENCE is what gives you credibility.

if i wanted to know how many gallons of gas a KC135 holds?....i would ask the tony c....cubic volume of one of those fedex plastic things that goes into the back of the plane?...ask tony c. what is the max radiation exposure that you are allowed over a certain period of time? ask tony c. what is a sort in MEM? VMO on a 727? etc etc.

unfortunately, your lack of experience in commercial passenger aviation cannot go unnoticed. your opinions and comments don't seem to have any basis that is relevant in this particular sector of aviation...that is why i am GUESSING there is a CARGO forum on flightinfo??? i don't know...just a guess!!! LOL

anyway, please don't be discouraged from commenting but i am sure you are aware that your opinions are not only free, (you get what you pay for!!!) but they come from no real understanding of an industry for which you have no experience.

remember....EXPERIENCE EARNS CREDIBILITY and RESPECT...not the other way around!

at ease...........

wndshr said:
TonyC said:

well tony c....i am glad you asked! please don't take this personally, but rather as a lesson to those with similar career profiles as yourself. we all know who they are!!

i am curious what makes you the resident "expert" in commercial PASSENGER aviation.....without commercial PASSENGER aviation experience? most of the bubbas i have flown with and jumpseated with at the legacies....and even B6 know when to "shut up and color" when it comes to understanding the true economics of the passenger airline industry. they learn A LOT while sitting next to ol timers who have been through 5 airlines and 2 furloughs from jobs they were promised to retire from! you can't GAIN experience from reading all the books....just as you can't assume the job as captain by reading FLYING magazine! EXPERIENCE is what gives you credibility.

if i wanted to know how many gallons of gas a KC135 holds?....i would ask the tony c....cubic volume of one of those fedex plastic things that goes into the back of the plane?...ask tony c. what is the max radiation exposure that you are allowed over a certain period of time? ask tony c. what is a sort in MEM? VMO on a 727? etc etc.

unfortunately, your lack of experience in commercial passenger aviation cannot go unnoticed. your opinions and comments don't seem to have any basis that is relevant in this particular sector of aviation...that is why i am GUESSING there is a CARGO forum on flightinfo??? i don't know...just a guess!!! LOL

anyway, please don't be discouraged from commenting but i am sure you are aware that your opinions are not only free, (you get what you pay for!!!) but they come from no real understanding of an industry for which you have no experience.

remember....EXPERIENCE EARNS CREDIBILITY and RESPECT...not the other way around!

at ease...........
Lighten up, Frances. . . .

wndshr said:
TonyC said:

at ease...........

I am not even going to attempt to expound on that piece of linguistic and informational perfection. So, I will just put it in my own words. "Know-it-all" Tony C bugs the hell out of me too.

Latest resources

Back