• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Straight shootin' about JetBlue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Although the contract says you can't go back to your old 121 carrier, it has no mention of what the penalty would be if you did. I can only assume they would have to sue you to keep you from going back to work for your old carrier. Nothing in the contract (apparently) prevents you from going to work for a different 121 carrier (as long as it isn't your old one) or any 121 carrier if you never worked for a 121 carrier before jB.

In fact, I personally know a guy very well who went to jB, flew the line for about a month and then left for a different 121 carrier (freight). jB was his first 121 carrier. There was no training contract or legal action against him, and he was free to go. That was 3 years ago.

That may help alleviate any fears somebody might have of not being able to get out of the contract if they want to go work somewhere else.

FJ

radarlove said:
..., because the contract auto-extends, just like other contracts under the Railway Labor Act.
Well, not exactly. With RLA contracts, there is not a provision for either party to terminate by providing notice within three (3) months of the Agreement expiration date. RLA contracts continue idefinitely, and become amendable. There is no expiration date.

But - - and I concede this was your point - - it's close.

:)

TAZ MAN said:
Background can be everything on how one can approach this profession. Not better or worse, just different.
Well, Mr TAZ MAN, riddle me this. Which profession are we approaching in this thread, either in the original topic, or the topic to which it has crept?

I believe the object of discussion at this moment is the underlying purpose as it may or may not pertain to unions of the 5-year contract for pilots.

wndshr postulated that pilots have 5-year contracts simply because FAs have 5-year contracts, and the employee groups must be treated equally. "[C]an you imagine," he asked, "the stink it would raise if the pilots didn't have the same thing...[?]"

Perhaps it's my military background (highly doubtful) but I cannot imagine much of a stink about it. Nevertheless, I HAVE witnessed a stink raised, not only among outside parties, both interested and disinterested alike, but among JetBlue pilots themselves about the pitiful low wage rates proposed, no, introduced, for JetBlue mainline pilots to fly RJs. I have read pilots who have rationalized the low rates, believing that they will be increased if and when the RJ proves to be profitable. But I have not read or heard of a single JetBlue pilot that is satisfied with the rates as they stand.

We have witnessed a "stink" about the RJ rates. What has been the result? Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero. No change.

So, let's revisit my statement, "Yeah, kinda like the stink the pilots raised about the RJ rates - - that had a huge impact." For the context challenged among us, allow me to point out that the statement I made was intended as sarcasm. I could rephrase the above to remove the sarcasm and it would look like this: "The pilots raised a stink about the RJ rates, and there was no impact."

Now, would you care to refute that statement, or do you still have an issue with my background?

TonyC said:
Well, Mr TAZ MAN, riddle me this. Which profession are we approaching in this thread, either in the original topic, or the topic to which it has crept?

I believe the object of discussion at this moment is the underlying purpose as it may or may not pertain to unions of the 5-year contract for pilots.

wndshr postulated that pilots have 5-year contracts simply because FAs have 5-year contracts, and the employee groups must be treated equally. "[C]an you imagine," he asked, "the stink it would raise if the pilots didn't have the same thing...[?]"

Perhaps it's my military background (highly doubtful) but I cannot imagine much of a stink about it. Nevertheless, I HAVE witnessed a stink raised, not only among outside parties, both interested and disinterested alike, but among JetBlue pilots themselves about the pitiful low wage rates proposed, no, introduced, for JetBlue mainline pilots to fly RJs. I have read pilots who have rationalized the low rates, believing that they will be increased if and when the RJ proves to be profitable. But I have not read or heard of a single JetBlue pilot that is satisfied with the rates as they stand.

We have witnessed a "stink" about the RJ rates. What has been the result? Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero. No change.

So, let's revisit my statement, "Yeah, kinda like the stink the pilots raised about the RJ rates - - that had a huge impact." For the context challenged among us, allow me to point out that the statement I made was intended as sarcasm. I could rephrase the above to remove the sarcasm and it would look like this: "The pilots raised a stink about the RJ rates, and there was no impact."

Now, would you care to refute that statement, or do you still have an issue with my background?

Touch a nerve? Simple comment on a different background can give one a different perspective. You automatically thought it was about you. Interesting.

How could you take that statement and spin to an issue with you. I could have been supporting you. Interesting.

You sure put alot of words in my mouth this morning. May I suggest decaf?

Last edited:
TAZ MAN said:
Touch a nerve? Simple comment on a different background can give one a different perspective. You automatically thought it was about you. Interesting.

How could you take that statement and spin to an issue with you. Interesting.
A subtle hint was the fact that you began by quoting me.

:rolleyes:

TonyC said:
A subtle hint was the fact that you began by quoting me.

:rolleyes:

Who else said the statement? Geeze dude. Lighten up! You need to take a break from this forum. Your holding on a little to tight.

Whoop, Whoop!!!!!, Taz Alert, Taz Alert; Whoop Whoop!!!

99% of all questions concerning jetblue, could be handled by using the search function.

(Now TonyC, do take the 99% number with a grain of salt, I made a wag, it is not a scientific survey and is for illustrational purposes only:))

TonyC said:
Well, not exactly. With RLA contracts, there is not a provision for either party to terminate by providing notice within three (3) months of the Agreement expiration date. RLA contracts continue idefinitely, and become amendable. There is no expiration date.

But - - and I concede this was your point - - it's close.

I hesitated when I wrote that, since this actually doesn't fall under the RLA, since there is no union involved. I just assumed that they were modeling this "model contract" off of what an actual union contract would look like.

I'm not arguing that this is as good as a union contract, just that it's about halfeway there. Usually items such as firing for cause, seniority, etc. aren't established until the first union contract is voted in. In this case, the non-union JBLU pilots get a lot of protections they otherwise wouldn't, lessening the call for unionization.

But on the downside, as you mentioned, there really is no pilot advocate to enforce rights and no structured grievance procedure to decide the grey areas. 190 rates are a case in point, Pilots: "Please raise them!", Management: "No."

My original point was that I find it amusing that the fact a company is progessive enough to offer worker rights that are generally only won after a labor organization battle and a contract negotiation is viewed by the cynical pilots in this economy as somehow "bad".

The contract isn't as good as a union contract, but it's certainly better than nothing!

klhoard said:
Whoop, Whoop!!!!!, Taz Alert, Taz Alert; Whoop Whoop!!!

Your a coward. Hide behind that mask. Its the only power you have. You personally give Fedex pilots a bad name. Never any substance to any post. You really are a flamebaiting coward.

Latest resources

Back