Stealth Age 67 to 70

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The age limit will be repealed.

Canada already has no age limit. Europe started an Age 70 committee about 5 years ago. They will also have no age limit, probably before the US does.

cliff
GRB

Cliff, have you got a reliable source for those statements? Because I stopped after your comment about no age limit for Canadian pilots. It's wrong. When Canada announced no retirement age for its citizens, it carved out exemptions for certain professions. It was recently determined by the Canadian Federal Court of Appeals that airline pilots fall under that exemption. http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/C...+mandatory+retirement+case/7013869/story.html

If you peel back another layer on the onion of the Canadian Human Rights Act, you'll find that the loophole that possibly allowed pilots to die on job at age 71 has been repealed. Which makes it unlikely that the Canadian Supreme Court will entertain any pilot age discrimination lawsuits.

I didn't bother looking for any European Age 70 committee because if there is one, they're likely napping most of the day. As is the case with most gummers that I've flown transcons with.

As for the original post, I believe that it's accurate. Having spent some time with Capital Hill staffers, I have no doubt that anyone pushing for an increased retirement age was met by smiling bobble head Congressional staffers. They'll smile and shake their heads approvingly at any suggestion. And then they'll suggest that political contributions 'help the cause'. These aren't the people that need to be feared; it's the AARP and airline lobbyists - the professional lobbyists who know which wheel to grease. And yes, AARP is in favor of raising pilot retirement age.

Eagle,

you miss my point...I agree there has to be a PIC on every flight, but paying that individual 30 percent more than the guy his right (FO) seems unfair given that the differences in the two jobs has gotten less and less over the years with the advancement in technology...to eliminate the pain of mergers and stagnation, why no go to a single longevity pay scale??

Eagle,

you miss my point...I agree there has to be a PIC on every flight, but paying that individual 30 percent more than the guy his right (FO) seems unfair given that the differences in the two jobs has gotten less and less over the years with the advancement in technology...to eliminate the pain of mergers and stagnation, why no go to a single longevity pay scale??

Because in almost all professions pay gets tied to responsibility. Captains sign for the airplane and agree with the dispatcher concerning the flight plan. The FAR states the CAPTAIN and dispatcher are responsible for the flight. Most FOM's state unless incapacitated the Captain is in charge. When UAL was keeping track of fuel scores they didn't care who the f/o was, just the captain. I could go on but until f/o's are on the hook equally with the captain the captain will, and should, be paid more.

Eagle,

Captain would sure go Junior

O great another "guy in the jumpseat" story. Because those are always true.

Flying last week from PHX to the East coast with a US Airways jumpseater on the jump. Conversation turned to his reason for the trip to the coast. He explained to us that he was one of a group of "pro age 70 pllots" working under the radar to have the age 65 retirement age changed to 67 and then stepped to 70. He explained to me and my over 60 captain that they were attempting to keep this as clandestine as possible to keep opposition to a minimum. At this point I became irritated and asked what excuse they were using this time. He explained to us that the coming pilot shortage would be devastating to the airline industry and that in order to avoid this the retirement age would have to raised to 70 to keep all the experienced pilots in the left seat . He stated the progress was very good and that a change in the retirement age would come before the end of the year. FO at our company has a father working for the FAA and confirmed that strong consideration was indeed being given to changing the age. The gift that keeps on giving!!

Latest resources

Back