Stealth Age 67 to 70

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

benelli

Flying last week from PHX to the East coast with a US Airways jumpseater on the jump. Conversation turned to his reason for the trip to the coast. He explained to us that he was one of a group of "pro age 70 pllots" working under the radar to have the age 65 retirement age changed to 67 and then stepped to 70. He explained to me and my over 60 captain that they were attempting to keep this as clandestine as possible to keep opposition to a minimum. At this point I became irritated and asked what excuse they were using this time. He explained to us that the coming pilot shortage would be devastating to the airline industry and that in order to avoid this the retirement age would have to raised to 70 to keep all the experienced pilots in the left seat . He stated the progress was very good and that a change in the retirement age would come before the end of the year. FO at our company has a father working for the FAA and confirmed that strong consideration was indeed being given to changing the age. The gift that keeps on giving!!

Last edited:
It's September, we're in the middle of the election silly season, our embassies are burning overseas, gas prices going wild. I doubt very stongly that there is any "stealth" organized effort to change the rule. No NPRM, no bills in Congress.

Age 65 retirements will begin promptly in December.

Regards,
Fr8doggie

Flying last week from PHX to the East coast with a US Airways jumpseater on the jump. Conversation turned to his reason for the trip to the coast. He explained to us that he was one of a group of "pro age 70 pllots" working under the radar to have the age 65 retirement age changed to 67 and then stepped to 70....

Ok, we have seen the forum battle over age. Rumor or not, old age or not, something like this could very well happen in the next few years.

Even though the senior citizens will be getting top pay and costing the company thousands a year in healthcare costs it is still cheaper to have them work than have them on pension and employee someone new. Plus if they die while working, the insurance will pick up the life benefits and the company will no longer have to fund or pay out a retirement pension for that person. Or if they do live past 70, once again, their life expectancy wont be that long, so once again the airlines save money. It's really a brilliant plan. Work til you die.

This will happen eventually, but I assure you rules aren't "clandestinely" made at the FAA. There's an ARC or ARAC that's assembled, ANPRM, comment period, NPRM, review by OST and OMB, public disposition, then final rule. Though inevitable, this is years off.

Why don't the airline unions (APA,ALPA,,etc.) have a mandatory retirement age for their officers that is below the pilot retirement age?

And anyone who claims they know someone at FAA who knows something is blowing smoke because if so, that person would be in violation of any ex parte restrictions in place during the rulemaking process.

This could certainly happen and if it does it would probably be driven by a pilot shortage but that is years away and the government doesn't act quickly. A lot also depends on ICAO, that's what drove the increase to 65.

Why don't the airline unions (APA,ALPA,,etc.) have a mandatory retirement age for their officers that is below the pilot retirement age?

I would guess that in the case of SWAPA, APA, IPA, USAPA (is that a union?) you would have to be an active member of the seniority list. Therefore you could not be an officer if you were past retirement.

ALPA, or IBT? Well, you could always get a bylaw change...

Regards,
Fr8-

Last edited:
Flying last week from PHX to the East coast with a US Airways jumpseater on the jump. Conversation turned to his reason for the trip to the coast. He explained to us that he was one of a group of "pro age 70 pllots" working under the radar to have the age 65 retirement age changed to 67 and then stepped to 70. He explained to me and my over 60 captain that they were attempting to keep this as clandestine as possible to keep opposition to a minimum. At this point I became irritated and asked what excuse they were using this time. He explained to us that the coming pilot shortage would be devastating to the airline industry and that in order to avoid this the retirement age would have to raised to 70 to keep all the experienced pilots in the left seat . He stated the progress was very good and that a change in the retirement age would come before the end of the year. FO at our company has a father working for the FAA and confirmed that strong consideration was indeed being given to changing the age. The gift that keeps on giving!!
Yep. That sounds EXACTLY like a greedy bastard Easthole.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back