• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit closing DTW pilot base

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bruce York, the guy that Enegma mentioned, is the Director of ALPA's Representation Department (ie. one of the head attorneys). If he and his department have already looked at it, as Enegma said, then you can trust their judgment.

Pardon the ignorance, but what is the purpose of the "status quo" clause? It apparently has no "teeth".

If a base was economical before negotiations - why isn't it economical during negotiations? In this regard, the clause would have purpose - no major [economical] changes during negotiations!

Pardon the ignorance, but what is the purpose of the "status quo" clause? It apparently has no "teeth".

If a base was economical before negotiations - why isn't it economical during negotiations? In this regard, the clause would have purpose - no major [economical] changes during negotiations!

The company, nor the union, can control outside economical factors. The law was never intended to bind a company's hands against making decisions necessary for the ordinary running of the business. The law is intended to keep the company from changing the conditions of employment (pay, work rules, scope, etc...) during negotiations, and to keep the union from engaging in premature work actions when a solution via negotiations is still possible.

The company, nor the union, can control outside economical factors. The law was never intended to bind a company's hands against making decisions necessary for the ordinary running of the business. The law is intended to keep the company from changing the conditions of employment (pay, work rules, scope, etc...) during negotiations, and to keep the union from engaging in premature work actions when a solution via negotiations is still possible.

Exactamundo...........

anyone care to enlighten us who were not able to attend or listen to the meeting yesterday?

Technical difficulties from what I gather for "listening in" or watching via internet.

Anybody actually at that meeting care to give a brief synopsis of what went on?

So the law does provide some "binding"? Could one not argue that a domicile closure affects pay and/or workrules; and therefore constitutes some "binding"?

I'll try a different approach to my original question. If the law (RLA?) prevents the company from changing the conditions of employment during negotiations; what is the purpose of the "status quo" clause? (Note: I am "piggy backing" on a previous post that got me thinking - I have neither read nor heard of the clause before that post).

So the law does provide some "binding"? Could one not argue that a domicile closure affects pay and/or workrules; and therefore constitutes some "binding"?

Not unless the contract specifically states that the company's pilot domiciles will be x, y, and z. If the contract doesn't address a specific issue, then the law allows for "management's rights." Basically, that means that the company is free to conduct business in a manner that it feels is necessary as long as it doesn't violate the contract. If the company feels that closing the base is best for business, then nothing in the RLA prohibits that unless the CBA requires that that base remain open.

Now i wonder if the DTW closure does have to do with TPG buying Midwest. The deal also involves Northwest, and give them the right to buy Midwest from TPG in the future. TPG other option, is to resell their stocks once they go through whatever they have in mind.
I don't know exactly what's cooking here, but it is really odd that this deal is going through at the same time Spirit is closing the DTW pilot base.

My take is that the next step will be to close the DTW base, scale down the flying there, focus on the flying at out of FLL. This was a deal made with Northwest in order to be able to go through with the Midwest buyout. What's in store next ? A merge with Spirit operation or make a quick buck with the resell of Midwest.

It just shows what these big private equity firms are all about. As long as they can make money, they'll do whatever it takes at the employees' expense. So let's stop blaming each other, we had absolutely no control over it. Let's all stick together and fight for a real contract. After all this is the only thing we can get from them, as long as we fight together.

By the way, Midwest is also ALPA with the most junior captain hired in 1998. Pretty scary......

Last edited:
The Cactus people I have talked with say Bill Franke pulled the same base closure stunt when they were in contract talks. Any Cactus people please chime in.

The Cactus people I have talked with say Bill Franke pulled the same base closure stunt when they were in contract talks. Any Cactus people please chime in.

And, Ford and Harrison (anti labor law firm employed by many airlines, including Spirit) pulled a base closure at ASA if I understand correctly.

Also, NK VP Ops Carlsen closed down HNL and SEA when he was a NWA manager.

Latest resources

Back