Spirit closing DTW pilot base

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

I heard that 3 former USA Jet guys that came over recently left: Skybus, Virgin America, NWA.

cliff
YIP
JW to Skybus, what about CC?

Last edited:
Hi!

I heard JD went to NWA.

cliff
YIP

So will DTW be a junior or senior base? If senior, what's a reasonable estimate on how long to hold it?

Everyone has been so quiet lately regarding Spirit. Throw me a bone! What's the latest? Negotiations? Growth estimates still the same? I read that it's running over 6 years for upgrade currently, that will obviously change drastically with the projected growth right? Thoughts?

I'm trying to get back to MI so I'm thinking either NJA or Spirit, but the thought of a 7 day trip at NJA scares me to death! How's the QOL at Spirit? I can't imagine it could be any worse than ASA.

Hi!

If you want DTW, and the 7 day trips are too short, you could go for USA Jet, and have 15, 20, or a trip like my longest, at 32 days.

cliff
YYZ
***Disclaimer: My next USA Jet trip IS ONLY 6 days.
The trip lengths vary considerably, and the -9 trips are much shorter than the Falcon's, especially if you're on PAX, which is, basically, ALL 6 day trips.

Here are the facts from our D.O. Two more aircraft in 2008 and that is it till fall of 2009. More hiring till summer of '08, but stagnation after that. Age 65 will reduce the upgrade classes further for '08. So in terms of a quick upgrade, in my honest opinion, plan on 4-5 years to be safe.

Last edited:
Here are the facts from our D.O. Two more aircraft in 2008 and that is it till fall of 2009. More hiring till summer of '08, but stagnation after that. Age 65 will reduce the upgrade classes further for '08. So in terms of a quick upgrade, in my honest opinion, plan on 4-5 years to be safe.

Facts??!?!?

Ahahahahahahahhahahahaaha

Wasn't it also a fact that DTW was ceasing existence as a base on 10/1? Don't believe anything he says, especially in times of negotiations...

I'm told the current training cost is around 20K per pilot.

That might cover the sim for each pilot. I was told about $30K for sim and Type. You have to take into account hotel, rental car and the $1700.00 per month for wages for about 2-3 months. The point I was trying to make is that NK's mangement wanted to "Close" DTW for nothing more than to crack the union into allowing satelite bases or some other form of concessions. It seems to me that it cost them a good chunk of coin to pull that maneuver (which kinda blew up in their faces). Negotations or not, that is a flat out despicable thing to do. I've had my share of idiot D.O.'s but JC takes the cake.

Law on unanticipated Consequences

It seems to me that it cost them a good chunk of coin to pull that maneuver (which kinda blew up in their faces). Negotations or not, that is a flat out despicable thing to do. I've had my share of idiot D.O.'s but JC takes the cake.
Law on unanticipated Consequences, you know never know the full impact of a move until after the move has been made. As Eisenhower said before D-Day, all plan go out the window the instant the battle starts.

You guys really think flight ops runs the airline? I would guess many of these unpopular decisions are made above his level. I know that flight ops has very little control over scheduling but people think everyone is out to get them. Marketing and Maintenance both have priority when they develop flight schedules.

Its not easy to be a popular DO, expecially during negotiations.

Latest resources

Back