• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit closing DTW pilot base

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The MEC is NOT interested in any more SAT bases at the moment...........to the best of my knowledge.[/quote]

I would not be surprised if this position changes.....

Well here is the way I see it. They are using this as a contract tatic. I'm sure they would love to see us buckle up here in DTW. We make this the big SAT base and they get everything they want and more. They divide us, piss us off even more and create more animosity with the FLL base. If there is no base here, the LEC here no longer has a voice. Convienient eh....Now it's all the Herbinator. Funny how that works out.

I'm just going to wait and see. I guess I'll commute for a little while and see where it all goes.

Pissed off doesn't even begin to describe the feeling up here though.

Is Virgin still hiring into the Left seat?

It seems odd that Champion and Spirit both announced DTW base closures within 2 days of each other.

Is there something going on with the Airport authority there or something? Or any other uninformed speculation about why 2 airlines close DTW bases simultaneously?

Hi!

I heard a rumour that DTW was going to stay open as a FA and mech base.

cliff
YIP

MAN if that is keeping from you applying, glad we didn't interview you. This industry is wayy to volatile to have a pilot say such things. We want pilots here that want to work here period.

Granted, closing of the DTW base is going to be HARD real HARD for alot of senior pilots here at Spirit and the rumors are going to FLY around till the end of time why the company did this. But, if you look at our business plan - strictly dollars and cents - we are going to live and die by the Carribean/Central American/South American markets. Why have a base so far north?

By the way - I commute from Denver, so I live the hardships that are involved with this closure.

The fact that I could be based where I live now was my main motivation too, I live in the Detroit area and I'm not moving to Florida or commuting. Yeah, I would have liked to have worked there, but I hate Florida enough to not be particularly interested anymore. I understand that it's a volatile industry, but that fact doesn't mean I'm just going to take any job out there, or stay at one if conditions become undesirable. It's really a moot point though since they never called. I do also know that they are in the proses of out sourcing all their reservationist and customer service agents to over seas, and laying off all Detroit Based customer service agents.

Last edited:
Hey Shrek, I thought that you were working for Frontier? What happened? why are you working for Spirit? I don't see why you left Frontier to commute to FLL? Or were you Canned?

What are YOU smokin?! I never worked for F9.......just have tons of friends there.

The fact that I could be based where I live now was my main motivation too, I live in the Detroit area and I'm not moving to Florida or commuting. Yeah, I would have liked to have worked there, but I hate Florida enough to not be particularly interested anymore. I understand that it's a volatile industry, but that fact doesn't mean I'm just going to take any job out there, or stay at one if conditions become undesirable. It's really a moot point though since they never called. I do also know that they are in the proses of out sourcing all their reservationist and customer service agents to over seas, and laying off all Detroit Based customer service agents.

I applaud that you can wait for that perfect job - family is important.

Latest resources

Back