• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit closing DTW pilot base

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Really think it's possible? Displace all the pilots yet keep the 700+ FA's & mechanics? Sounds like a logistical nightmare...
I'm guessing it's more like strong-arm negotiating tactics.

Really think it's possible? Displace all the pilots yet keep the 700+ FA's & mechanics? Sounds like a logistical nightmare...
I'm guessing it's more like strong-arm negotiating tactics.

The flight attendants and pilots have a complete different schedule. Therefore i don't think that this is an issue there.
I do however agree that it looks like a negociating tactic. The best strategy would be to let them go ahead with it. 200 pilots at 6000$ moving expense is 1.2 million. I really doubt that Spirit would be willing to finance that....
Great move to ask for concessions in order to keep the base, and also to divide the pilot group.

I heard about the VARS message yesterday; I didn't get it.

After hearing this, my thoughts went out to my friends based up there...couldn't help thinking of one of the guys in my class. Married, three young kids, always lived in MI...he had to go home last night with, "guess what honey? remember when I took this job and said how I'd never have to commute? Well...".

It's times like this that should make us all wonder if this job is really worth it. Best of luck to my friends in DTW.

My guess is the company will continue asking for satellite bases now...if we give it to them, they PROMISE Detriot will be the largest one...

gator

USA Jet is looking for DC-9 F/O. KYIP based

So, FLL is the only other major pilot base (beyond small base at ACY)? Wow - that's a big difference in cost of living between the DTW area and FLL area... Not good. Yeah, I'd be upset if living at base was preferred.

Sounds like a negotiating tactic. Was Frank Lorenzo hired as a consultant there?

I Believe ACY closed a few years ago.

Didn’t US Airways/Mid-titanic try to "focus" on FLL flights? It didn't seem to work out all that well for them.

selling a house in Detroit could be a real treat if it happens

Latest resources

Back