Spirit closing DTW pilot base

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I Believe ACY closed a few years ago.

Didn’t US Airways/Mid-titanic try to "focus" on FLL flights? It didn't seem to work out all that well for them.

In no particular order, Spirit has closed the following crew bases in these last ten years.

MYR
CLE
MLB
EWR
ACY

With growth, uncertainty and upheaval exist. I don't like it, but then again, I didn't take a furlough after Sept 11th. That is, youz gots ta takes the good wit bad bad.

In no particular order, Spirit has closed the following crew bases in these last ten years.

MYR
CLE
MLB
EWR
ACY

With growth, uncertainty and upheaval exist. I don't like it, but then again, I didn't take a furlough after Sept 11th. That is, youz gots ta takes the good wit bad bad.

You forgot OKC it makes the 10 year list and MCO prior to that..

that sucks, well i have no interest in working there anymore

MAN if that is keeping from you applying, glad we didn't interview you. This industry is wayy to volatile to have a pilot say such things. We want pilots here that want to work here period.

Granted, closing of the DTW base is going to be HARD real HARD for alot of senior pilots here at Spirit and the rumors are going to FLY around till the end of time why the company did this. But, if you look at our business plan - strictly dollars and cents - we are going to live and die by the Carribean/Central American/South American markets. Why have a base so far north?

By the way - I commute from Denver, so I live the hardships that are involved with this closure.

What is a SAT base at Spirit? How would that effect the DTW guys if it reamins a SAT base?

A SAT base is an outstation base similar to what Piedmont and other small commuters do. You start your trip at the outstation and you end there everyday. It's essentially all day trips. Guys love it if they live in domicile but it sucs bad for a commutter. It saves the company big $$ for hotel expenses that they don't pay.

The company is in favor of satellite bases. They appear to be emulating the Ryanair business model to a certain degree. Ryanair has 20 bases!!!! Check the Ryanair website.

Mostly day trips and no overnights originating from the SAT base (ACY). Some relaxation on the contractual language to allow it to happen.

The MEC is NOT interested in any more SAT bases at the moment...........to the best of my knowledge.

Hey Shrek, I thought that you were working for Frontier? What happened? why are you working for Spirit? I don't see why you left Frontier to commute to FLL? Or were you Canned?

MAN if that is keeping from you applying, glad we didn't interview you. This industry is wayy to volatile to have a pilot say such things. We want pilots here that want to work here period.

Granted, closing of the DTW base is going to be HARD real HARD for alot of senior pilots here at Spirit and the rumors are going to FLY around till the end of time why the company did this. But, if you look at our business plan - strictly dollars and cents - we are going to live and die by the Carribean/Central American/South American markets. Why have a base so far north?

By the way - I commute from Denver, so I live the hardships that are involved with this closure.

Got a call from a fellow C-47 driver, he told me that Champion is closing their DTW base also

Latest resources

Back