• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit closing DTW pilot base

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The real downside are those guys that resigned from other carriers to stay here, mostly for QOL. If they knew they would have to commute anyway, I'm sure most of them would have went back to their carriers. It would have been nice to know the business model a few months ago.

If management wants to close a base, then they close a base. It sucks for all those that live there, me included. But there is nothing an employee group can do about it. If the management did give a sh*t about it's employees it would have gradually scaled back operations out of here to give us time to adjust to a changing market. But the 60 day rule they used was an obvious and clear sign of things to come.

They are going to drive a huge wedge in the pilot groups and the FA's are probably next as thier contract expired yesterday. Our only hope is that we don't let this divide us as they want. It would be nice if we could all just use the moving clause and soak them for as much money as possible moving to FLL, but that isn't an option for most of us.

I understand the pilots that are willing to accept a deal to keep thier QOL somewhat decent by accepting SAT base terms to stay here. I can't fault a guy for doing that. In theory, we wouldn't accept that and fight this thing like they are...like a war. But that isn't the case since we live in reality.

The FLL guys that are going to chide us for playing into their hands I would assume would do the same thing if roles were reversed.

I don't have the answers, but we can not let this divide us, right, wrong or indifferent. We have to stay focused on the contract!

It would be nice if we could all just use the moving clause and soak them for as much money as possible moving to FLL, but that isn't an option for most of us.

Why don't you ship a bunch of wood or something, just to use up these 6K ?

You are dead on. Let's not let this divide us. In fact we should use that to regroup and fight them hard on that new contract. It's going to cost them more now...

SAT BASE at Spirit =

1. NO sick calls, there are no reserves so you have to cover your own trips.

2. No open time due to above, no reserves.

3. No vacation, you must bid back to your permanent base to have one.

4. No sat bid if you have training, come down and buy your hotel.

Nice LOA.

quote]

Would you mind moving a little closer to the mike? Yeah, just a little closer...what? Oh, yeah, I need to get you on tape saying that if I'm physically unable to perform my duties as a flight crewmember (you know, flu bug, puking my guts out every 10 minutes, sweating profusely), then I still have to come fly. Yeah, just so I can take this to the FAA...

gator

quote]

Would you mind moving a little closer to the mike? Yeah, just a little closer...what? Oh, yeah, I need to get you on tape saying that if I'm physically unable to perform my duties as a flight crewmember (you know, flu bug, puking my guts out every 10 minutes, sweating profusely), then I still have to come fly. Yeah, just so I can take this to the FAA...

gator

AMEN AMEN AMEN

quote]

gator

By all means call in sick, but before you do you better talk to your "friends" and make sure that trip is covered! I am sure the only time anyone calls in sick is when they are. By the way sweating profusely is NO excuse here.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back