• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit closing DTW pilot base

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Now i wonder if the DTW closure does have to do with TPG buying Midwest. The deal also involves Northwest, and give them the right to buy Midwest from TPG in the future. TPG other option, is to resell their stocks once they go through whatever they have in mind.
I don't know exactly what's cooking here, but it is really odd that this deal is going through at the same time Spirit is closing the DTW pilot base.

My take is that the next step will be to close the DTW base, scale down the flying there, focus on the flying at out of FLL. This was a deal made with Northwest in order to be able to go through with the Midwest buyout. What's in store next ? A merge with Spirit operation or make a quick buck with the resell of Midwest.

It just shows what these big private equity firms are all about. As long as they can make money, they'll do whatever it takes at the employees' expense. So let's stop blaming each other, we had absolutely no control over it. Let's all stick together and fight for a real contract. After all this is the only thing we can get from them, as long as we fight together.

By the way, Midwest is also ALPA with the most junior captain hired in 1998. Pretty scary......

Hold up there Turbo........TPG put together an offer and COULD be buying Midwest. As of today - the general consensus is that Airtran's deal is better for everybody involved. Who knows - TPG might actually take over but neither of us know that for sure now.

Also, NK VP Ops Carlsen closed down HNL and SEA when he was a NWA manager.

I remember the HNL DC-10 base closure when Jeff Carlson was NWA VP Flt Ops. That was not during a period of contract negotiation, however. My inquiry remains whether the DTW closure is strictly a result of mgmt pressure during contract talks (the Bill Franke HP reference), or whether it is a result of NK mgmts attempt to emulate the business model of Ryanair and easyJet (Martin Harrison hiring at NK) and the resultant satellite base concept.

What's up with Pete Moore being named POTW? Was PO just mocking the rumors, or is there something to this? I've also been told by some of the NWA guys that he's coming to NK. Is it possible that he could be the next C.P., or perhaps even D.O.?

What's up with Pete Moore being named POTW? Was PO just mocking the rumors, or is there something to this? I've also been told by some of the NWA guys that he's coming to NK. Is it possible that he could be the next C.P., or perhaps even D.O.?

Hopefully, Ole was just mocking the rumors.

Hopefully, Ole was just mocking the rumors.

I laughed my arse off when I saw it. If I know ole, it's quick pot shot at the rumors and crap flying around here. I'm glad he still has a sense of humor.

Name one other airline in the country where your union representatives are also in the training department. Name ONE. Name One Just one. That is the beef with HL. Money Money Money

Latest resources

Back