• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest Pay Proposal Passes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Im still a proud yes voter. I will be able to make more money per year now. .

1. I wouldn't be too "proud" for selling your Bro brothers and sisters down the river.

2. More money per year????? I just got a 20K raise a few months ago. My paychecks went up $200 every two weeks and we got a 40% raise! I can't imagine what a 1% RJ payraise will do with your take home pay. I wouldn't quite say you are going to make more money....more like more pennies when Uncle Sam takes half.

3. Are you one of those guys that will wait till you can hold RJ capt. because you are too cool to fly a turboprop? Just curious.

"too cool to fly turboprops"... It is pretty funny that you bring that up... these guys that a year ago were peeing their pants with excitement that they got hired into the jet instead of the brasilia have been clamoring to get that quick upgrade and their PIC.

Forgive my Ig'nance, but what ever happened to no pay raise during union drives? Is the drive over? Was there a "unless we want to" clause?

What union drive? As you can see by the morons on this board, and by the number of people who didn't even bothered to vote, there's slightly less interest in union representation, than there is in making Jesse Jackson the Grand Knight of the KKK.

VOTED NO

The UPS guy does not want you working there now---it will only continue at other airlines when they hear what Skywest pilots are settling for? ENJOY your career at Skywest !! Call for ALL ALPA carriers not to hire non-union carrier pilots once taking of aircrafts from unionized companies ...

The UPS guy does not want you working there now---it will only continue at other airlines when they hear what Skywest pilots are settling for? ENJOY your career at Skywest !! Call for ALL ALPA carriers not to hire non-union carrier pilots once taking of aircrafts from unionized companies ...

Yeah... that'll happen...

Last I looked some of the lowest pay and worst QOL regionals are represented by ALPA. So please, let's not throw this "Oh you should have gone ALPA" crap back up in the air; however, it would do SkyWest good to get an in-house union that is not funded by management. No pay increase for the EMB-120 folks is just ridiculous.

Last edited:
1. I wouldn't be too "proud" for selling your Bro brothers and sisters down the river.

2. More money per year????? I just got a 20K raise a few months ago. My paychecks went up $200 every two weeks and we got a 40% raise! I can't imagine what a 1% RJ payraise will do with your take home pay. I wouldn't quite say you are going to make more money....more like more pennies when Uncle Sam takes half.

Apples to oranges... You fly for UPS?

When any union represented regional pilots swing a 40% pay increase at any seniority level please let me know :)

I agree the pay increase should have been better, but it's a start. SkyWest doesn't have a great negioting table right now, but then again, what regional does?

Last edited:
Yeah... that'll happen...

Last I looked some of the lowest pay and worst QOL regionals are represented by ALPA. So please, let's not throw this "Oh you should have gone ALPA" crap back up in the air; however, it would do SkyWest good to get an in-house union that is not funded by management. No pay increase for the EMB-120 folks is just ridiculous.

An ALPA MEC can only be as strong as the membership and they can only extract as much from the company as the company has to offer. TSA is a privatley held company and alot of their financial statements are private information, arbitration in that case is futile because the company can hide behind their lack of disclosure.

MESA has a modern day Frank Lorenzo in charge but untill their MEC or membership stands up for itself nothing will happen. If SkyWest was represented by ALPA and wanted a Comair or ASA contract plus 2% they could get it, if they had the presence of mind to take it all the way to arbitration if need be and not fold at the first sign of resistance.

Sometimes in house unions are good, sometimes they aren't. UPS, and Southwest both just got killer contracts with their in house unions but guess what? The financial statements that were referenced showed both companies making tons of money - an arbitrator sees that. In contrast look at what American's pilots did right after they got their in house union... Voted in a "B" scale. At the same time United (with ALPA) didn't vote in a "B" scale and then they weathered out a strike.

ALPA national can provide resources, information, support, and lots else but the local membership must provide the back-bone.

Last edited:
An ALPA MEC can only be as strong as the membership and they can only extract as much from the company as the company has to offer. TSA is a privatley held company and alot of their financial statements are private information, arbitration in that case is futile because the company can hide behind their lack of disclosure.

MESA has a modern day Frank Lorenzo in charge but untill their MEC or membership stands up for itself nothing will happen. If SkyWest was represented by ALPA and wanted a Comair or ASA contract plus 2% they could get it, if they had the presence of mind to take it all the way to arbitration if need be and not fold at the first sign of resistance.

Sometimes in house unions are good, sometimes they aren't. UPS, and Southwest both just got killer contracts with their in house unions but guess what? The financial statements that were referenced showed both companies making tons of money - an arbitrator sees that. In contrast look at what American's pilots did right after they got their in house union... Voted in a "B" scale. At the same time United (with ALPA) didn't vote in a "B" scale and then they weathered out a strike.

ALPA national can provide resources, information, support, and lots else but the local membership must provide the back-bone.

I'm not saying ALPA cannot do good things if a given pilot group is united and works the system; however, in many cases at the regional level I believe a good, non-management funded, in-house union is all that is needed. SkyWest pilots are very divided about ALPA, but I bet if there was talk of a new inhouse union the division would be much less. ALPA represented pilots can do good things and bad things, but ALPA is not the answer to every airline pilot's financial and QOL issues. This one-minded thinking that only ALPA should be considered when union talks come around is ridiculous. That's just putting an association, like ALPA, on the fast track to more corruption and mismanaged money. It's more than obvious SkyWest pilots are not ready for ALPA, so why should they send 2% of their paycheck for a service they will not be able to fully utilize? All the airlines you listed voted ALPA in and were obviously not ready for it. Seems like alot of wasted effort and money to me.

Last edited:
From reading the history of negotiations at SKW, it states that the '99 ALPA drive failed only by a few votes and the more recent in-house union drive failed miserably.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back