• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SKYW CRJ2 in ATL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm pretty senior, and I very much want to grow....Not all of us at the top are that short sighted....We very much need to worry about growth.

Wisdom here.

The more we shrink, the more expensive a product we produce. Simple fact of life. Too expensive, and ASA could cease to exist at the worst possible point in the careers of the senior guys here.

However, I'll agree with others in this post in that the more senior types enjoying life on the 90/70 vocally could care less about what happens to the junior FOs. As long as the lines are good, and there is plenty of open time for those that want it, they are fine with life.

What r u smoking? The lines are decent?!? Lines have sucks for the past 8 months and getting worse! I'm sure there's something they can do, but they can't get much worse. Used to be able to hold 3-day trips... Thanks SH.

Decent is a relative term. You think they're bad now, wait until you have your choice pick of five day trips after the new fatigue initiative and rest rules are implimented. It can get worse, believe me- it can ALWAYS get worse..................

Decent is a relative term. You think they're bad now, wait until you have your choice pick of five day trips after the new fatigue initiative and rest rules are implimented. It can get worse, believe me- it can ALWAYS get worse..................

There is a lot of talk about 5 day trips here and out on the line lately.

Has anyone seen any analysis of why 5 day trips would suddenly be the norm? If we are tacitly agreeing that 5 day trips would save the company money with the new rest rules, wouldn't they save the company money now? Why aren't our schedules filled with 5 day trips now? Why is Skywest's schedules filled with 5 day trips?

I believe that the combination of existing rest rules and contractual trip and duty rigs make 5 day trips a non-starter. 30 in 7 and 100 in 30 as existing limits (which could be lowered even further) make five day trips difficult. Throw in the trip and duty rigs, as well as minimum monthly days off, and 5 day trips seem even less plausible at ASA.

If 5 day trips are in our future, I predict that they are part of a negotiating tactic. As well, I've personally already seen an attempt by the folks who control costs at our company to use the scare tactic of 5 day trips as a ploy.

If there is any truth to the rumor about a 12 hour duty day and stricter limits based on the number of legs...You can expect worse schedules...Especially on the 50 because of the short legs.

Anytime you limit the flexibility and limit the ability to get as close to 8 hours per day....you increase the days required to get the same amount of flying.

Don't put the cart before the horse. The proposals are not yet rules.

Fair enough. I think that most people believe that there will be changes to the rest rules, read as a good watering down to make more 'productive' rules.

All that being said, I just don't see a month of 5 day trips as a reality, unless we go to a 5 on 5 off sort of schedule.

I see 5 day trips as much more of a fear tactic to attempt to get the various pilot groups to squawk from the line up to 'play ball' with the idea of no changes to the existing rest rules.

Fair enough. I think that most people believe that there will be changes to the rest rules, read as a good watering down to make more 'productive' rules.

All that being said, I just don't see a month of 5 day trips as a reality, unless we go to a 5 on 5 off sort of schedule.

I see 5 day trips as much more of a fear tactic to attempt to get the various pilot groups to squawk from the line up to 'play ball' with the idea of no changes to the existing rest rules.

5 day trips could be a possiblity is the FAA institutes their version of a 12 hour duty day. Guys will screaming for Pref Bid if that comes to pass. I doubt our company would go that far.

I'm out when 5 day trips are the norm in this sh!t industry. No way I'm spending 5 out of every 7 days away from home! 4 is enough......

I'm out when 5 day trips are the norm in this sh!t industry. No way I'm spending 5 out of every 7 days away from home! 4 is enough......

My initial thought was, if I see 5-day trips, I better see them followed by at least 4-days off. As opposed to our normal 4-on, 3-off trips.

If there is any truth to the rumor about a 12 hour duty day and stricter limits based on the number of legs...You can expect worse schedules...Especially on the 50 because of the short legs.

Anytime you limit the flexibility and limit the ability to get as close to 8 hours per day....you increase the days required to get the same amount of flying.

If 5 days are the result let it be then. Its absolutely ridiculous to be on duty for 13 to 14hrs as it is. Fatigue is most certainly a critical issue after 12 hrs. 15-16hrs of duty is complete nonsense and should never be allowed. Can the airlines not create schedules that don't have crews sitting 2-3hrs between flights? Airlines should be able to operate normally with a 12 max scheduled duty 14 max duty
day.

If 5 day trips are the result then so be it. At least the skies will be a lot safer with more rested crews. IMO, which is strongly influenced by SH's previous tactics, I strongly believe the 5 day trips rumor is merely a scare tactic.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back