• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SKYW CRJ2 in ATL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The next time SH is in recurrent, why don't you just service him right then and there? I am sure he would be so appreciative that he would exclude you from any and all upcoming cuts.

Do you take everything seriously, don't you?

If 5 days are the result let it be then. Its absolutely ridiculous to be on duty for 13 to 14hrs as it is. Fatigue is most certainly a critical issue after 12 hrs. 15-16hrs of duty is complete nonsense and should never be allowed. Can the airlines not create schedules that don't have crews sitting 2-3hrs between flights? Airlines should be able to operate normally with a 12 max scheduled duty 14 max duty
day.

If 5 day trips are the result then so be it. At least the skies will be a lot safer with more rested crews. IMO, which is strongly influenced by SH's previous tactics, I strongly believe the 5 day trips rumor is merely a scare tactic.

Of course they can operate with duty days no longer than 12 hours, but how many pilots would they have to recall to achieve that? I don't like long sits, however, I never threw out curse words at them when were badly behind schedule and the 3 hour break turned into a quick turn. Something to think about.

I don't think SH was using it as a scare tactic, he did explain that it would only be in response to FAR changes, which haven't happened yet.

If you feel so strongly that a 15-16 hour duty day is that bad, have you sent a NASA report or a COR/RIF to your company? The fact that there are practically no reports for this is exactly what the company and other companies go to the FAA to say that it works.

All that will change is that we'll see Delta (and other companies) start building the trips around crew needs, not around when the passenger wants to fly.

Of course they can operate with duty days no longer than 12 hours, but how many pilots would they have to recall to achieve that? I don't like long sits, however, I never threw out curse words at them when were badly behind schedule and the 3 hour break turned into a quick turn. Something to think about.

I don't think SH was using it as a scare tactic, he did explain that it would only be in response to FAR changes, which haven't happened yet.

If you feel so strongly that a 15-16 hour duty day is that bad, have you sent a NASA report or a COR/RIF to your company? The fact that there are practically no reports for this is exactly what the company and other companies go to the FAA to say that it works.

Leave no doubt 15-16hrs a day is doable. But I strongly believe safety is compromised. Think about it, you've been on duty for 15-16hrs, plus the time you were up getting ready and driving to work, there is no human being that can be mentally at their peak. Studies have shown mental awareness and reaction drop down drastically in this duty range.

Even in Europe they've updated their duty limit to around 12 hrs I believe. The USA duty regs are very outdated. Its time for a change.

If 5 days are the result let it be then. Its absolutely ridiculous to be on duty for 13 to 14hrs as it is. Fatigue is most certainly a critical issue after 12 hrs. 15-16hrs of duty is complete nonsense and should never be allowed. Can the airlines not create schedules that don't have crews sitting 2-3hrs between flights? Airlines should be able to operate normally with a 12 max scheduled duty 14 max duty
day.

If 5 day trips are the result then so be it. At least the skies will be a lot safer with more rested crews. IMO, which is strongly influenced by SH's previous tactics, I strongly believe the 5 day trips rumor is merely a scare tactic.

Nu uh... Like others said, if it goes to 5-day trips as the norm, I'm out. We are humans, we have lives outside of work, children, wives, etc... it's not fair to them, friends, etc... sure there are a lot of bitter divorcés and single guys who don't care but those are the guys that can pick up the day lines left over.

I know other places do 7on/7off but the key part is 7off consistently, with known days off. If the airlines do it, you can bet it will be 5on/ 3 or 4 off.

Regional airlines are already going to have hard enough time finding enough pilots when the 65ers start retiring en mass... they won't be able to keep anyone who has been abused by the horrid schedules leading up to that!

F&@$ 121 (mostly regionals)

Nu uh... Like others said, if it goes to 5-day trips as the norm, I'm out. We are humans, we have lives outside of work, children, wives, etc... it's not fair to them, friends, etc... sure there are a lot of bitter divorcés and single guys who don't care but those are the guys that can pick up the day lines left over.

I know other places do 7on/7off but the key part is 7off consistently, with known days off. If the airlines do it, you can bet it will be 5on/ 3 or 4 off.

Regional airlines are already going to have hard enough time finding enough pilots when the 65ers start retiring en mass... they won't be able to keep anyone who has been abused by the horrid schedules leading up to that!

F&@$ 121 (mostly regionals)

Like one of the Captains I flew with told me..... "The difference in work ethic between Americans and Europeans is that the Europeans work to live, while the Americans live to work".

day.

+1. Well said. It is dangerous and should not be forced upon a pilot. If it means that pilots only earn their MMG, even if they spend up to the maximum allowable time away from home to do it, then so be it.

All that will change is that we'll see Delta (and other companies) start building the trips around crew needs, not around when the passenger wants to fly.

+1

I think that there will be more of a blend of crew needs and customer needs than now, certainly. As it currently exists, the company(s) could care less what impact the schedule has on the health and fatigue state of the pilots.

I'm out when 5 day trips are the norm in this sh!t industry. No way I'm spending 5 out of every 7 days away from home! 4 is enough......

This has been said quite a bit lately, as well. Frankly, I gotta call BS on this line of thought. There are very few pilots at ASA, or other carriers, that can leave the airline industry and immediately find a job that pays them enough to maintain their accustomed lifestyle.

Just reality, folks. Also, this reality is part of why 5 day schedules are even a potential option in the arsenal of the collective management.

Latest resources

Back