• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SKYW CRJ2 in ATL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How many FOs do you know that have second jobs? Think about that for a second. How much do FOs make? How easy would it be to replace the income from the airline with another low-paying job. My 2nd job in particular pays more per hour than my job as an FO and they'd be happy to give me more hours.

5 day trips? Nuh uh, I'm out and I wouldn't take much of a hit on the income. I stay here because I have hope that things will improve and I'll eventually leave my current employer for slightly greener pastures as a pilot which is my profession of choice... I enjoy flying, I do NOT enjoy flying for my current employer.

I agree with you, FOs don't make much money at ASA, or anywhere else, for that matter. However, you are making my point.

FOs are not at ASA, et al, because of the stellar working conditions, outstanding pay, or all star talent in the FA ranks. No, FOs slog though life as a regional FO for the hope of something better on the horizon. Not many FOs that have already invested the amount of effort to get to where they are will chuck it all because the trips are 5 days long as opposed to 4. The goal is to get somewhere else, be it a seat on the left side of the airplane, or, a seat on someone else's airplane.

Once you get to the left seat, the pay does start to become a factor in deciding to stay or go somewhere else, even if it is out of aviation.

Again, FWIW, as long as our trip and duty rigs remain in place, I doubt that 5 day trips are part of the long term future of ASA.

As a 2nd yr FO Im on pace to gross over 40k this year. Not easily replaceable in this economy. I had a 2nd job that supplemented my income(during spring when nobody was flying on reserve) that will have me well over 50k total for 09. 2nd jobs supplement a regional FO salary and can make your income from decent to very good, but to replace it? Very difficult in this economic environment IMO.

2nd, if we vote in PBS I bet the 5 day trip threats disappear quickly.

2nd, if we vote in PBS I bet the 5 day trip threats disappear quickly.[/QUOTE]

If it were up to me, I'd work a prohibition on 5 day trips into the language of this PBS agreement. The agreement seems to be quite a bit larger than a simple LOA; now would be a perfect time to take 5 day trips out of the equation no matter what regulation comes down the line.

If it were up to me, I'd work a prohibition on 5 day trips into the language of this PBS agreement. The agreement seems to be quite a bit larger than a simple LOA; now would be a perfect time to take 5 day trips out of the equation no matter what regulation comes down the line.

We really have to take some time to think about that one. We also need to be very careful what we ask or wish for. We just may get something with some serious unintended consequences. If this 12 hour rule comes down, we may have painted ourselves into a corner with ANY prohibition on this sort of stuff. There may guys out there that will take something like this and we should not put in things that would make them waive the contract to make more.

Personally, I feel a better rule from the FAA would simply involve limiting a scheduled day to no longer than 12 hours of duty and allow up 16 for IROPS, etc. If the 12 hour duty day comes down, we may be hosed no matter which way we look at it.

This is a common argument against ASA in ATL. Numbers are in the low 90 % for ontime in September. Atlanta gets low viz quite a bit, and with that comes massive delays for the World's Busiest Airport. It's a major pain in the ass, believe me. Kind of weird in the Summer when you get an EDC time at 0530! It sucks, but it's good for overblock! Additionally, once your 2-3 hours late due to WX, everything else gets backed up and slows. It's a tough environment, cuz ATL gets a lot of IROPS, even now in the slower season.

Trojan

You make me laugh. You must have never been through any NYC airport. Most any day clear or not the three metro airports (EWR, LGA, JFK) have delays. ATL is like taking candy from a baby. ASA has always struggled. I commuted from CHA for 2 years through ATL on the ASA ATR. 25 minute flight and we would sit waiting for a gate for 30 minutes. The more things change the more they stay the same. Commuted through ATL last month for the first time in months. Guess what we waited for a gate then swithced concourses and waited some more. Then waited for a jetway driver.

PS. The ontime problems at ASA have very little to do with ATL weather and everything to do with the ASA operation. Come to NYC if you want to see real delays. When you are given holding instructions 700 miles from your destination then you can complain.

You make me laugh. You must have never been through any NYC airport. Most any day clear or not the three metro airports (EWR, LGA, JFK) have delays. ATL is like taking candy from a baby. ASA has always struggled. I commuted from CHA for 2 years through ATL on the ASA ATR. 25 minute flight and we would sit waiting for a gate for 30 minutes. The more things change the more they stay the same. Commuted through ATL last month for the first time in months. Guess what we waited for a gate then swithced concourses and waited some more. Then waited for a jetway driver.

PS. The ontime problems at ASA have very little to do with ATL weather and everything to do with the ASA operation. Come to NYC if you want to see real delays. When you are given holding instructions 700 miles from your destination then you can complain.

Okay, you win. NY definitely sucks way worse than ATL. ASA hasn't operated an ATR in close to a year. I don't know if you've been reading the news, things have dramatically changed and continue to do so in the last year. Your situation is the exception not the norm. Delta runs everything on the ramp. ASA is pilots, mechanics, FA's and Mgmt. The rest is Delta.

Trojan

Uuum......Bull Sh!t.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I, myself have operated many flights to both JFK and LGA. Whilst they both have their issues, Delta's inabilty to have both gates available and ramp staff are the crux of any ASA delay and waits in ATL. Next in line is incessant ground delays generated by ATC. This has improved greatly since the 5th runway was implemented, but still persists. Stick to what you know.

Latest resources

Back