• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sky West pilots response to mgt

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I will defend Skynation. He is a smart mature guy. It is not because people don't want ALPA that our industry turned into what it is. It started with our democrat friend Ted Kennedy with his deregulation action. Sorry to say, but ALPA was around then too. Most people were happy to be part of ALPA or anytype of union. But things changed. Greed for lots of $$ (which I want too) lead to contracts that killed the airlines. True airlines could have managed their resources in a better way and distributed their $$ to those who deserve it, but they didn't. Now everyone is screwed because management is in a race to the bottom. Delta and United have to wait till Southwest raises their prices before they can do the same. It is the free market that is killing us. Paying 2% of my check in hopes that ALPA can get me more money is silly. Maybe ALPA really wants to help, but you will only get what the company will give you. To negotiate for 6 years and still be fighting for the bare needs is messed up. That is not all ALPA's fault true. But why bring it when things here are really not that bad. The industry has to change. For everyone out there thinks things will get better. You are foolish and naive. The pilot shortage will do nothing but force companies to lobby to congress for help, just as in Europe. They will change rules before paying more money. We will all be flying with FOs with 50 hours before long. Airlines are already approaching colleges willing to subsidize students tuition with the promise of a job. That pisses me off and should you too. I am in debt up to high heaven to get here. I hate what we have, but that is it. It is what we have. I want the days when we got great money, flew great routes, had FAs that are all nurses, but it ain't coming back. Not without regulation again. But in a free market it ain't going to happen again. It is going down. We are bus drivers of the sky. Period. That is how the company and the masses of people feel about us. I am a realist. It is time you all should wake up too. If a union could help, I would pay 10%. But it won't. I won't pay my money to ALPA again, because it goes to fund stupid ads and posters, and not to actually fixing the problem.

I will defend Skynation. He is a smart mature guy. It is not because people don't want ALPA that our industry turned into what it is. It started with our democrat friend Ted Kennedy with his deregulation action. Sorry to say, but ALPA was around then too. Most people were happy to be part of ALPA or anytype of union. But things changed. Greed for lots of $$ (which I want too) lead to contracts that killed the airlines. True airlines could have managed their resources in a better way and distributed their $$ to those who deserve it, but they didn't. Now everyone is screwed because management is in a race to the bottom. Delta and United have to wait till Southwest raises their prices before they can do the same. It is the free market that is killing us. Paying 2% of my check in hopes that ALPA can get me more money is silly. Maybe ALPA really wants to help, but you will only get what the company will give you. To negotiate for 6 years and still be fighting for the bare needs is messed up. That is not all ALPA's fault true. But why bring it when things here are really not that bad. The industry has to change. For everyone out there thinks things will get better. You are foolish and naive. The pilot shortage will do nothing but force companies to lobby to congress for help, just as in Europe. They will change rules before paying more money. We will all be flying with FOs with 50 hours before long. Airlines are already approaching colleges willing to subsidize students tuition with the promise of a job. That pisses me off and should you too. I am in debt up to high heaven to get here. I hate what we have, but that is it. It is what we have. I want the days when we got great money, flew great routes, had FAs that are all nurses, but it ain't coming back. Not without regulation again. But in a free market it ain't going to happen again. It is going down. We are bus drivers of the sky. Period. That is how the company and the masses of people feel about us. I am a realist. It is time you all should wake up too. If a union could help, I would pay 10%. But it won't. I won't pay my money to ALPA again, because it goes to fund stupid ads and posters, and not to actually fixing the problem.

"I hate what we have" ...but I'm too lazy to try and do anything about it!

"To negotiate for 6 years and still be fighting for the bare needs is messed up" ...but to "negotiate"(or be told it's this or nothing) a whopping nothing or 1% is much better???

True the 1% increase was a joke. A lot of the things we deal with are, but the real problem is bigger than ALPA. You need to see that. No one does, and they all come on here and complain that this company or that company sucks. Well think about this. What about Skybus, Virgin America and yes, even our beloved Southwest. They are here to stay. The industry has changed forever. Those companies are pulling it all down. In order for companies to compete, they must drop their operating expenses, i.e. us, rampers, gate agents, and everyone else. Funny how this is the only industry where a company passes it's operating costs on it's employees. I don't think it is right. But ALPA, APA or anyone else won't change that. Now things here at SKYW aren't that bad. Others places need the help and protection that ALPA can give them. I know this. But SKYW management is not screwing us as bad as everyone somehow thinks. Most pro ALPA guys at SKYW are those who have never been at an ALPA carrier and think it is a savior. I spent several years at a carrier that was ALPA. I am much happier here. I have my unhappy moments here too, but overall, I am happy. Most people I fly with agree.

Ultimately it is because we are all idiots for choosing this life. We fell victim to what we remembered as children. The FBOs told us what we wanted to hear. Our silly instructors that put us under the hood were just as blinded as us. We chose a dying career thinking it won't happen to us. This forum space should be about educating the up and coming saps who are going to go into crazy debt to get to a job that won't pay the bills. We need to warn our fellow man. It is a great job, but sadly not a great career anymore. Being lazy is not the issue. It is an understanding that we are being broken down like the railroad drivers of old. Once heros but now just monkeys pushing buttons. It is sad, but it is our world. The bigger problem needs to be fixed before the smaller one can even be remedied by ALPA.

Now things here at SKYW aren't that bad. Others places need the help and protection that ALPA can give them. I know this. But SKYW management is not screwing us as bad as everyone somehow thinks. Most pro ALPA guys at SKYW are those who have never been at an ALPA carrier and think it is a savior. I spent several years at a carrier that was ALPA. I am much happier here. I have my unhappy moments here too, but overall, I am happy. Most people I fly with agree.

well said.

Ultimately it is because we are all idiots for choosing this life. We fell victim to what we remembered as children. The FBOs told us what we wanted to hear. Our silly instructors that put us under the hood were just as blinded as us. We chose a dying career thinking it won't happen to us. This forum space should be about educating the up and coming saps who are going to go into crazy debt to get to a job that won't pay the bills. We need to warn our fellow man. It is a great job, but sadly not a great career anymore. Being lazy is not the issue. It is an understanding that we are being broken down like the railroad drivers of old. Once heros but now just monkeys pushing buttons. It is sad, but it is our world. The bigger problem needs to be fixed before the smaller one can even be remedied by ALPA.

How is it that you are "in debt up to high heaven to get here", if you went the military route flying T-38's and F-16's?

P.S. When I went to college this was still a good career, so I don't think "we're all idiots for choosing this life"...!

Last edited:
PBR,

hello Sunshine! you still work here? how can you stand it, man?! I thought you'd moved on since you hate this place sooooo badly. either that or imploded in on yourself in a fit of company hating, self-loathing, ultra negative rage.

so, here we go again.

Me-3rd year CA, some of the year will be 4th. pay rate is like 63 bucks/hr.

63/hr x 105/hrs per month avg. credit =6489
6489 x 12 months = 77868
plus per diem, which for me will be between 5-6K=$83368

plus all the other crap you mentioned

I think I got you figured out. With your credit 105 a month, you must be a SAPA rep, 3rd year. JB. Not Jim B. The other crappy rep.

Your posts on here sound exactly like the MGT suck up posts on sapa forums.

nope, not a SAPA rep, never even been to a meeting. Just a line pilot who is realistic about the world and who enjoys his (my) job. it's not that hard to credit 105/hrs. per month, either. I'd prefer to work less next year, and will with better seniority.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back