Sky West pilots response to mgt

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pollster

In the last 90 days I have kept my own poll. I have not told anybody about this, I simply ask people I see in the crew lounges and people I fly with if the vote was today what would you vote? I have asked a very fair sampling of 150 Skywest pilots in all domiciles. The results are 83 no and 67 yes. With this being said it will be about as close as the last to presidential elsections. With that being said I just don't see it having the momentum it needs. Its unfortunate but I just had to conduct my own little poll.

Fingers Crossed....

In the last 90 days I have kept my own poll. I have not told anybody about this, I simply ask people I see in the crew lounges and people I fly with if the vote was today what would you vote? I have asked a very fair sampling of 150 Skywest pilots in all domiciles. The results are 83 no and 67 yes. With this being said it will be about as close as the last to presidential elsections. With that being said I just don't see it having the momentum it needs. Its unfortunate but I just had to conduct my own little poll.

I am really keeping my fingers crossed on this one.....
I am very much hoping Skywest votes ALPA in. One of the greatest benefits is the fact that they will really stand up for their members.

I know of a crew that got sued in some silly lawsuit by a passenger who got hurt in an evacuation. You can bet the company didn't defend these guys from the lawsuit-they had to depend on ALPA. Saved each of them tens of thousands.... More than they will ever pay in dues.

-Better think about the alternative-you have a lot more at risk than you may think. Try and defend yourself from a lawsuit like that on a regional salary without union help...... People who are unfortunate enough to find themselves in a similar position would regret not having voted "yes." Something to consider.

Something to keep in mind too, once a pilot group brings ALPA to the property ALPA will provide the resources to negotiate an agreement it is totally up to the majority of pilots as to what to seek in each contract. If MESA keeps ending up with a sustandard deal it's because the membership keeps voting it in. It was thier choice. Right now Sky West pilots don't even have a choice, they have to accept was uncle Jerry feels is enough!

another thing to remember is once ALPA comes on property, it is almost impossible to remove them. this isn't something you can just say 'well, let's just try it and see.'

and as for the company backing pilots, I know of a guy here who was making obscene phone calls to FAs on the overnites. the 'evil company' paid for him to get counseling, and he still works here today. you can debate whether or not they 'should' have done that, the point is they didn't have to. they could have just fired the dude.

this is not a unique example here, either.

(all haters, this is your cue to post examples of people you feel were unjustly fired, and how ALPA would make it 'all better.')

Hey skynation, what do you stand to lose when ALPA make its onto the property? 2% in dues, I got new for you sport you are already getting 5-6% less than industry leading rates on the CR2 and you are losing about 10-12% on the CR2 and CR9 because Jerry refuses to treat the pilots like every other airline and pay them properly for flying bigger equipment. for the CR7 a mid level Captain thats like $30,000 over 5 years.....keep flying at cheap rates while others cash their checks.

ASA current CR7 rates
Captains
Date

Year1$60.20 Year2$62.07 Year3$63.97 Year4$65.96 Year5$68.01 Year6$70.11 Year7$72.27 Year8$74.50 Year9$77.51 Year10$80.63 Year11$83.12 Year12$85.69 Year13$88.35 Year14$91.07 Year15$93.89 Year16$96.71 Year17$99.60 Year18$102.59first officers
Year1$19.02 Year2$37.24 Year3$38.38 Year4$39.58 Year5$40.80 Year6$42.06 Year7$43.36 Year8$44.70But then again who needs money? More than likely you don't care what the rates are because you must be in management from the way you display your distaste for fair representation.

Look, y'all it comes down to this. Vote ALPA in if you want. Don't if you don't want to. But when it fails and Jerry takes away all the candy y'all have gotten over the last couple of years, don't come on here and bitch, because we told you so. Good luck.

WWE fan,

as has been proved, there is more to pay than hourly rates. I guarantee I make more at the end of the year than most if not all other CR2 pilots at other regionals in my seat and seniority. (3rd year CA, will make mid-80K range this year on reserve, rarely pick up OT or do any extra flying)

JP,

do you mean 35 when you say the 'last couple of years'?

The Future

If you were to look into the minds of Jerry and the boys they understand they have alot of time, alot of money, and alot of good attorneys to deal with this whole situation. The fact of the matter is (and I don't like either of these outcomes) that Skywest management is just waiting. It is part of their game plan. They are obviously just playing with the ASA pilot group and their contract. This ultimately makes the pilot group look bad and ALPA look terrible. It is also demonstrating to Skywest pilots that ALPA is bad (in their game plan). Finally if ALPA does not get the vote at Skywest, Jerry and the boys will start to dismantle ASA the day after ALPA looses one of the great battles in modern day union/employer battles. If ALPA comes on property both of the pilot groups will be married together happily ever after eventhough this to could be messy. I hate to say this on here but that is what it is looking like. There are alot of things that point to it.

Latest resources

Back