SCOPE at DELTA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FBN:

How about a little of both. Take back the flying & give the incumbent pilots seniority numbers.

Our union can not be about the business of stripping jobs from ALPA members. That's no more right than the union giving them away.

We can't simply fight wrong with wrong. We are a union and the way to go about scope restoration is to act like one.

I'm sure he is against bonus money for poor performance - it would be no change from they way he ran AIG for 42 years. During that time he took AIG's US domestic business from a failure and made it the World powerhouse it became. He was forced out in 2006, setting off the chain of incompetency that resulted in AIG's 2008 failure.

According to CNBC, AIG London started their credit swap bs in 2004.

FBN:

How about a little of both. Take back the flying & give the incumbent pilots seniority numbers.

Our union can not be about the business of stripping jobs from ALPA members. That's no more right than the union giving them away.

We can't simply fight wrong with wrong. We are a union and the way to go about scope restoration is to act like one.

Agreed to a point, they should be given a chance at an interview and get the job, but not ' given ' a seniority number. Only an opinion.

Even though Northwest does not require a bachelor's degree, I do not know any pilots hired in the last hiring wave without one. I do know a few pilots at Compass without one. There are some extremely qualified Compass pilots, but there were also a couple hired with around 700 hours of total flight time. The hiring standards were not the same. The interview process at NWA was also a lot more selective. Compass struggled to fill classes at one point. That being said, I have no problem putting every single Compass pilot on our list, but I want all the Republic 175's also. It is not possible to take on their pilots. I have no problem doing this. A few years ago, Republic took Mid-Atlantic's airplanes without the pilots. We need all 175's at mainline. After that happens, we need to bring the 175 pay rates up to mirror the DC-9's. None of this will ever happen. In a few years, the smallest aircraft left at mainline will be the 757.

Hockeypilot - I have been promised what you wrote is NOT true. The Compass pilots are very defensive about this point. ( I don't know who's right, you could be right. )

When I repeated what Compass pilots told me members of the Delta MEC rebutted that Compass pilots were not hired by NWA HR, but an outsourced HR firm staffed by former NWA employees... .

It is a distinction which should have little difference to union members. As union members we should draw the circle as large as we can to capture and control as much flying as we can, so we have the most leverage to increase our pay and working conditions.

Let management divide us. We don't need any more divisions. After all, much of this outsourcing was initially justified by the military versus civilian prejudice that clouds the issue of who is worthy to enjoy a good job.

Last edited:
In balance he has done an excellent job in other areas. But when it comes to scope his focus is very narrowly focused on wide body captains. That might be fine for Delta, but that thinking would cause even greater harm to our association than present policies are.

Fins,

I think he has done an excellent job in many areas.

However I contend that a robust cost saving on feed via the DCI's will be passed on to the pilots is not only hopelessly naive, but outright dangerous with RA at the helm

Even if it were true, it would only benefit a smaller remaining group of pilots than we had prior to outsourcing.

I'm not saying this is Moaks fault at all - DALPA has had the loosest Scope in the industry since the first RJ's were introduced. I don't see them suddenly becoming the Gold Standard for protecting the profession from outsourcing, let alone taking it back.

Historical precedent would have them continuing to be the trend setters in the wrong direction.

Last edited:
Hey D-Bag,

I have been a advocate of protecting scope even before i made the move over to mainline. The only difference is that now i can actually try to be part of the solution instead of talking about it from the sideline.

You just said you "admit its a major problem" but yet choose to bad mouth those that are trying to fix the problem. Would you prefer it be a "major problem" and no one do anything about it? :rolleyes:

Whats the real underlying issue here? Are you just pissy that guys like he and i have moved on and you haven't yet? I mean, you yourself said you agree scope is an issue, so why attack us for trying to fix it? :confused:

Take care sweet cheeks

I never applied to NWA or DAL. I did get an offer from UAL, but passed it up, for obvious reasons - thank God!
I have no problem with you flying at DAL, or anyone else for that matter. You do an awful lot of talking, but the fact is that scope relief (any way you want to cut it) is the reason you flew at Expressjet and also the reason you got on with NWA (or was there a family connection there?). Either way, I have an alternate source of income and going to the bottom of a major's list (anywhere, except SWA) would have put a huge dent in that.
You preaching about scope is like an Alcoholic swearing off drink, while he gets wasted at the tavern - disingenuous at best.

Enjoy your time at DAL, Compass might be closer than you think.

I never applied to NWA or DAL. I did get an offer from UAL, but passed it up, for obvious reasons - thank God!
I have no problem with you flying at DAL, or anyone else for that matter. You do an awful lot of talking, but the fact is that scope relief (any way you want to cut it) is the reason you flew at Expressjet I dont disagree. Scope was abused by CAL and therefore XJT grew. That doesnt mean that i didnt think scope should have been protected. Fact is that the regionals of today and yesterday are a result of scope relief. I was there and saw it first hand which is why i speak up about it now that i do have a voice at the table. and also the reason you got on with NWA (or was there a family connection there?)Nope, no family or connections at NWA. Either way, I have an alternate source of income congrats!!and going to the bottom of a major's list (anywhere, except SWA) would have put a huge dent in thatThen why did you apply to UAL :cool:.
You preaching about scope is like an Alcoholic swearing off drink, while he gets wasted at the tavern - disingenuous at best.Or better yet a previous alcholic trying to stop the destruction that it caused. Again, i was there, i saw the effects first hand. Truth is when i started in this business the regionals were the entry point into this career. The RJ jobs were the turboprop jobs of the past.

Enjoy your time at DAL I am Thanks! , Compass might be closer than you think Doubt it but anythings possible. That possibility was already factored into my decision to take this job. Being 27 when i got hired, the potential gains were, and still are, well worth the sacrifice. :beer:.

I like most people got into this job to eventually move on to the majors. The more scope that is given up the lower the chances are for people to make those moves. After 1 year of sacrifice i make more than a 9 year captain at my previous airline so it was a no brainer for me to make the move. I realize that for a small minority, the regionals are the end all for them and to each there own. The majority want to protect the higher paying jobs in this industry and by protecting scope, thats what we are doing. Since you admitted you will be staying at RAH (unless swa calls) i understand why you get worked up when guys at the majors put the foot down on scope. But like you said before, Scope is a problem and should be fixed. Good luck

Latest resources

Back