• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots against JBPA (jetblue union)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK fair enough, give me an example of a work rule or rules that has changed by an e-mail in the last 12 months. And Also, give me reasons why it should not have changed or what is should have been instead.

Let me guess. You think we should just give the company another 90 days to make things right. Well if you believe that then don't forget to leave cookies and milk out on the table for the fat man in a red suit.

#2 was changed with no notice at all, obviously. I believe the previous poster used the "changed via email" as an illustration of any change that is made outside of the scope of our PEAs with little or no notice.

#3 and the subsiquent contract was forced upon us. The vast majority of the pilots here feel that this was a very poor decision.

Howdy Blueside,

Same to you Lebowski

Thanks for taking the time to provide a thoughtful response. I think you make some good points that we both can agree on:
  • We all want the company to succeed.
  • We don't have the worst work rules/pay.
  • We don't have the best work rules/pay.
  • There's room for improvement with our work rules/pay.
  • JBPA, and unions in general, will not fix all issues with work rules/pay.
  • It is unrealistic to expect the JBPA or any other union to fix all our issues and to make everyone happy.
  • Overall, JetBlue management has done a good job of running the organization.
  • Overall, JetBlue management is not "the enemy" (as they have characterized the JBPA).
I support the above 100% well said
  • Senior management could change at any time.
  • This company could be bought at any time.
That is true; however, to most we have to worry about is not a change in management rather another pilot group and their representation to take us to the cleaners. With the exception of the USAir and AWA merger, which is somewhat of a fluke that will most like not be repeated, fact is that numbers rule nothing else the bigger group is also the winner takes all regardless of your Union representation. (TWA/AA, Republic/NW, Delta/NW, etc.) So, who do you think would merge with us? At 2000+ strong we most likely will be the smaller group and take it in the shorts regardless if we have JBPA or not. Heck we take ALPA and it is a forgone conclusion. But let’s assume we get new management and we get treated badly we could have a union with in 6 months. So if need be we are not without a voice or means to respond appropriately. In the meantime I would like to give Dave the opportunity to make this the best and most profitable airline in the industry to ensure my job security. He has and is doing a great job why mess with things that work.
From my perspective the three main advantages of unionizing are:

1. We formalize our agreement going forward. Work rules/pay cannot simply be changed on a dime. Yes, this goes both ways, which leads to point number 2.

2. We finally get to negotiate for our work rules/pay. Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one on the PVC (or anywhere else) is negotiating on our behalf. In other words, we take what we are given. I simply fail to see why, as career employees, negotiating is such a bad idea.

Have you approached Dave and asked him about his position to a CBA and a mechanism to negotiate with out the NMB or a Union on our property? It is my understanding we could have a CBA without a Union. Negotiating is not bad at all as long as you have a strong position or have something the other side can not do without. But realistically, what do we have as pilot we would not give up in order to maintain our seniority and the associated pay. Don’t we all have the golden handcuffs on; preventing us from actually taking a stand for the profession? Yes you are right; the PVC does function as an advisory committee rather than a negotiations agency. But I do not believe a Union will not be able to do much more for us. Hence, pensions- and scope- disappear, pay-rates, work-rules, and benefits are traded for new airplane, and combined seniority lists. All the while we are facing the real possibility of losing our job and starting over at the bottom. Professional company negotiators know that and use it very skillfully. What is JBPA going to do different that all the other Unions to not end-up in the same lose-lose corner with the rest of the Pilot Unions and Associations? JB has treated me mostly nor always with fairness and respect. This is much more than I can say about 14 years under so called “Union Protection”.

3. We put ourselves in a better bargaining position if (when) JetBlue is bought by a larger company. (I simply don't believe that our company-provided merger protection language for our individual contracts would be stronger than what we could achieve for ourselves as a collective unit.)

Seemy response above.

And finally, yes, I understand that I have a contract with the company. More imporantly, we don't have a contract with the company. Strength in numbers is a given. That's why CBAs exist in this industry. That's why CBAs exist in other industries. That's why police departments, fire departments, teachers, nurses, etc., tend to unionize.

But don’t we all have the same contract and doesn’t that making it our contract? I don’t want to get into the weeds and discuss other Unions. Unfortunately, to our detriment, comparing Pilot Unions with other groups of organized labor is like that orange and apple thing.

My philosophy is that we are professionals, and we should take pride in doing great work for the company. I know I do. However, we are also labor, and therefore something of a commodity. I don't forget that, either.

I agree.

Thanks again for the civil debate.

The same here, sorry it took me a while, been busy with house, wife, and the kids. You might know I get more me time on the road than at home. ;)
Happy Holidays.

Lebowski

#2 was changed with no notice at all, obviously. I believe the previous poster used the "changed via email" as an illustration of any change that is made outside of the scope of our PEAs with little or no notice.

#3 and the subsiquent contract was forced upon us. The vast majority of the pilots here feel that this was a very poor decision.

Forced? I didn't sign; I still have a job.

Forced? I didn't sign; I still have a job.

So you believed there would be no retribution and you signed.

I was "forced" to make a decision: to give up PTS or give up a year 4 320 FO pay raise.

Just imagine the amendment with pay raises AND the preservation of PTS. Wow, did they burn a lot of goodwill with that one.

Have you approached Dave and asked him about his position to a CBA and a mechanism to negotiate with out the NMB or a Union on our property?

Seriously? Let me guess: you email senior leadership every time a gate agent interrupts your Before Start Checklist.

Sorry -- I shouldn't be that flippant, it's just that I don't see the benefit of that type of communication and never have. Oh and I'm full of wodka.

BTW -- Dave could have made improvements to our contract after the NMB filing -- it is my understanding that he chose the other option -- to keep our contract as is.

Rez: you know what I'm talkin' 'bout?

Seriously? Let me guess: you email senior leadership every time a gate agent interrupts your Before Start Checklist.

Sorry -- I shouldn't be that flippant, it's just that I don't see the benefit of that type of communication and never have. Oh and I'm full of wodka.

BTW -- Dave could have made improvements to our contract after the NMB filing -- it is my understanding that he chose the other option -- to keep our contract as is.

Rez: you know what I'm talkin' 'bout?

Hello Bavarian Chef
Happy Holidays to you and the family.
I will leave the first part of your post alone and ride it off as the result of large consumption of vodka.

However, the company is not able, or allowed by the NMB, to make any changes to our contract or work rules until the election is over. Otherwise the argument could be made the company used unfair practices to undermine the union drive. The NMB has a name for this condition, which for the life of me I can’t remember, but in any case JB is not allowed to change anything until this is over. I hope that answers your question.

1) 10 hour rest rule. Maybe a good change for operational integrity, but a bad change for productivity, which already is suffering severely.

2) General pairing productivity. Again, maybe good for operational integrity, but it is an effective pay cut and QOL decrease.

3) PTS. Don't make me explain this one.

OK. How and what should be changed, taking your examples? And I am serious I really want to know your particular solutions to these issues.

Let me guess. You think we should just give the company another 90 days to make things right. Well if you believe that then don't forget to leave cookies and milk out on the table for the fat man in a red suit.

Now that is funny,
Thanks for ruining it for me. I guess I need more eggnog to kill the pain after you told me there is not Santa.
Happy Holidays

Hello Bavarian Chef
Happy Holidays to you and the family.
I will leave the first part of your post alone and ride it off as the result of large consumption of vodka.

However, the company is not able, or allowed by the NMB, to make any changes to our contract or work rules until the election is over. Otherwise the argument could be made the company used unfair practices to undermine the union drive. The NMB has a name for this condition, which for the life of me I can’t remember, but in any case JB is not allowed to change anything until this is over. I hope that answers your question.

They had the chance while JBPA was collecting cards. JBPA has also informed management that the orgainizing committee is not opposed to improvements before the election. They sent a letter to PVC and Dave.

Management is bluffing. It is a standard tactic and pilots usually fall for it.

If JBPA fails to win the election in about 1-year everyone will be asking 'what happened to the improvements" promised before the election.

Management will look in the card file of canned responses and pull out: "that was then this is now and times are different. We are growing/shrinking" and those improvements were not promised just that we would look at them and in fact we did and discovered they would have harmed our ability to react to changes in the market place".

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back