• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots against JBPA (jetblue union)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unless we hit a homerun in the fourth quarter, I'd say we're looking at a loss for the year...

Ahhh, you ain't seen concessionary yet, my friend...

I do know this much, nothing will move in the right direction until the vote is done. I look around, not just at the airline industry, but my neighborhood and I'm finding some gloomy outlook as people struggle with layoffs, plunging retirement savings and pensions in jeopardy-- to name a few; the confidence of the American spender, is to NOT in the coming future.

If the load factors around the holidays are a preview (I flew some flights with 30 people on board) of things to come in 2009, hold on tight. In the 8 years I've been here, we had fuller planes around the holidays after 9/11 than we did this past season with our reduction in capacity-- If the union does get voted in, we're not going to have any kind of bargaining power at all if the economy continues in this recession. So if you ask me, the timing is way, way off!

Ahhh, you ain't seen concessionary yet, my friend...

If the load factors around the holidays are a preview (I flew some flights with 30 people on board) !

Company states 83 hour lines during compensation talks but only has 74 hr bid divisors... I'd say that was concessionary.

30 pax... Calling BS on this one!

I flew 3 days including xmas, every plane had a 96% load factor or better except one.

Thanks for the Boogie Man story though! Can I tell that one at the next camp fire!? "As I look around the street.... 911, pensions, spending, blablabla".

Airline analyst sees strong airline profits in 2009

8:57 AM Mon, Nov 03, 2008 | Permalink
Terry Maxon E-mail News tips
In a report Monday, airline analyst Michael Derchin of FTN Midwest Securities said Monday he sees next year shaping up to be a good one for airlines:
We are currently forecasting that 2009 will be a strong profit year for the airlines despite the recession. Our $5 billion net income forecast assumes $80 oil, 8-9% RASM [revenue per available seat mile] growth, and domestic capacity down 8-9%. In fact, the airline industry is poised to report a small net profit in 4Q08.
Under that scenario, Mr. Derchin estimated that AMR/American Airlines would have 2009 net income of $1.197 billion, followed by Delta at $1.140 billion. He has a separate estimate of $709 million [corrected] for Northwest. Put together, Delta/Northwest are projected at $1.849 billion.

» Continue reading: Airline analyst sees strong airline profits in 2009

Craig Hoskins’ message to JB pilots on Union drive. Sure for all Radical True Union Believers this is just management propaganda. However, the issues and questions he raises are real how about some answers from JBPA instead of empty promises to solve all our problems. So fire away, here it goes:

“Obviously, the big event coming up that’s on everyone’s mind is the union election. The National Mediation Board will mail out voter instructions on January 6, and the voting period is between January 6 and February 3. I’d like to take a moment to clarify some huge misconceptions that are out there – I respect your right to choose representation, but you need to have the right information to make an informed choice, and I’m afraid there is a campaign afoot to spread wrong information.

First – IF a union is voted in, everything about your current working agreement is negotiable. There is no guarantee that the company will begin first contract negotiations from a position of status quo – and there’s no obligation to do so.

Second Negotiating a first contract is traditionally a pretty expensive thing to do. How does JBPA propose to pay for that? Also – running committees is pretty expensive, too, and if a union is voted in, that cost is borne by the union. Today, we spend around $1 million a year to run committees, and that number was projected to go up with the permanent working committee structure. If JBPA is voted in, JBPA pays for those committees. How much in dues does JBPA have to collect to support these committees? It may not be so much of a question about dues – you’re choosing to either hire a representative or not, so you know it’s going to cost you money if you choose JBPA. I’m raising this issue because there seems to be an unsophisticated appreciation for what it takes to run a union among certain people. If your union doesn’t know what it takes, you have no idea how much it will really cost you individually.

And finally – there remains an assumption that if the union doesn’t work out, then JetBlue Pilots can simply return to non-union status. This is the one of the most significant inaccuracies. If JBPA is voted in, and at some point in the future you feel it’s not working out, you really don’t have a lot of choices. The National Mediation Board does not have a “decertification” process per se. Historically speaking, once a union is on the property, it or something like it is here to stay."

I agree with BC. Please check the CBB about posting internal memo's on a public site.

Also, if you fly for JetBlue and your screen name is bluesideup, wouldn't that make you upside down?

Why not post it? Are you guys all company toadies?

This is right out of the script from "confessions of a union-buster", even the talking points are the same.

There is a long (long!) history of decertification of unions, it happens most often when there is a strike and enough workers cross the line to work at the company that the union members are no longer the majority.

At that point, the company calls for a vote, claiming to the NLRB (I know, this happens in non-RLA a lot more than in RLA companies) that the workers are clearly no longer represented by the union, since all of the guys on the line are now strikebreakers.

The NLRB then runs another election and what's funny is that the scabs often vote for the union!

So that was a bit of an untruth about no process for decertification. The truth part is that no airline employees have every gone non-union once they're unionized.

Why do you suppose that is?

If you guys think Dave and Russ are looking out for you guys then why is Jetblue a member of the Airline Industrial Relations Conference? This organizations is around for the sole purpose of driving wages/benefits down. They are some of the best puppet masters I have seen in a long time. I worked at Jetblue for awhile and I know how they really dish out the blue Koolade. Your pay and benefits stink and although I am not sure a union will be able to fix things or even make them better, I think you will be in a better position with one. Right now the fox is watching the hen house. Managements at all the airlines want to keep wages where they are or drive them lower. They have been successful at creating a lower expectation for our services. You are going to have to fight for anything. Dave/David had the chance to offer more but "blew" it. I don't see them fixing things unless forced too. Check out this website if you think they care about you.

http://www.aircon.org/what_is_aircon/index.htm

If you guys think Dave and Russ are looking out for you guys then why is Jetblue a member of the Airline Industrial Relations Conference? This organizations is around for the sole purpose of driving wages/benefits down. They are some of the best puppet masters I have seen in a long time. I worked at Jetblue for awhile and I know how they really dish out the blue Koolade. Your pay and benefits stink and although I am not sure a union will be able to fix things or even make them better, I think you will be in a better position with one. Right now the fox is watching the hen house. Managements at all the airlines want to keep wages where they are or drive them lower. They have been successful at creating a lower expectation for our services. You are going to have to fight for anything. Dave/David had the chance to offer more but "blew" it. I don't see them fixing things unless forced too. Check out this website if you think they care about you.

That website simply debunks the mantra "ignorance is bliss"....

Check out this page of the website...

http://www.aircon.org/additonal_info/aviation.htm

Why not post it? Are you guys all company toadies?

I don't agree with my CP, radar. But we have a document at JB that pretty much prohibits posting company internals. BTW -- it's a document that most pilots never read, despite the fact that it is one of the three parts of our "contract".

'Nuff said.

Last edited:

Pretty ironic. JB, the "company" is in a union, but JB, the pilots are not.

Oh yeah -- you never actually "worked" at JB, Mamma.

Mamma,

I don't think flying to NY, having a slice at Danny's pizza and drinkin in the Kew counts as working?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back