Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot forced to retire--Boo hoo! Freaking baby!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Same old story that goes around and around. Young greedy bastards. Old greedy bastards.

No matter how many letters you write...what will be....will be.

Everyone that is bent over this should just move on.

Peace out.

Look at the top of your RNAV SIDs and STARs. If there is a note saying it is a "Type B" procedure, then according to the FAA you MUST use the CDI, flight director, and/or autopilot as soon as you reach its minimum authorized altitude (or appropriate altitude as prescribed in your opspecs). Most airlines now require the autopilot's use during these departures. So going out of LAS the Boach, Cowby, Prfum, Shead, Staav, and Tralr departures will require you to turn on the AP by about 1000 feet.

These departures are designed to keep the plane within an RNP of a +/- 1nm wide corridor. Check out the Jeppesen briefing bulletin from September '05. And if you think it is just so much bullcrap, and "I should be allowed to fly how I want when I want", get a job driving a truck. You don't belong in the sky.

HAL

Seriously, doesn't anyone want to retire and enjoy life? Grandchildren? Fly fishing? Golf? Anyone??

Two kinds of people:
1) Those that have no other life/status beyond their airline job.
2) Those who value material objects more than people.

I'm hoping like anything that my children (14 & 17) have children before/when I retire. To make sure that I'll be busy during retirement, wife #2 & I are working on having a child ... I'm 46.
I can only imagine how great it will be to be able to be retired and be able to mentor my children. There is sooo much that I wish my parents had taught me before I left the nest.

Last edited:
I agree completely. This is the attitude of all the whinny little children that think they are entitled to somebody else's job. Age 65 is coming. Deal with it. You are not owed that place in line. They are the ones with 30 years experience and dedication. You are the freshmen on the block.
Do me a favor and read FLYING THE LINE, Tighten your Tie, Straighten your union pin, and be part of the solution. Not the problem.

Why don't you say that to the thousands of furloughed pilots out there who have to wait that much longer to get their jobs back.................

NO TO AGE 65. Contact your MEC reps and let them know this "blue ribbon panel" that Capt Prater announced is not represented properly. (5 Captains and 1 F/O if you didn't know). This b.s. that the knucklehead SWA group started has to stop.

Last edited:
NO TO AGE 65. Contact your MEC reps and let them know this "blue ribbon panel" that Capt Prater announced is not represented properly. (5 Captains and 1 F/O if you didn't know). This b.s. that the knucklehead SWA group started has to stop.

Relax...the reason this Blue Ribbon panel has been assembled by Capt Prater is because the FAA has already informed all parties that this rule is gonna change. No if's, and's or but's about it. The FAA Administrator had already told Duane Woerth and she has no doubt has already told John Prater...unless you think that John Praterand the Administrator have had absolutely no communication on this?

Do you believe that they haven't talked about this already?

Put yourself in Prater's shoes....you know the rule is gonna change...for all intents and purposes, it already has with the ICAO decision/implementation...your government has already allowed airline pilots over the age of 60 to fly in US airspace...

....how do you handle it, knowing the change is coming?

All walks.....

The good thing about a site like this is the viewpoints from all walks, that bad thing is the vast ignorance displayed by some who are not qualified to speak about certain matters and should be listening more!

The first post just blew my mind, and i believe certain other more experienced and qualified aviators weighed in with more sensible replies. They are right, these kids don't know any better, they come off an assembly line hop right into a turboprop or an RJ and inch closer and closer to the Boeings and Airbuses and then assume they know all there is to know and opine as if there couldnt possibly be more to something that a much more experienced person is doing!

This kid is representative of others like him who get up above FL180 and now assume they are on par with everyone else, and have no idea of what the &^%$ they are talking about and should be listening more and talking alot less.

but i digress......

i feel for some of these guys being forced out, especially those that were counting and working on their pensions only to have it taken away so close to retirement!
I am fortunate to have cut my teeth under ex pan am and eastern guys who were some of the sharpest minds and solid sticks i have ever seen. they did things on a daily basis and taught me things that you just dont see today very often. time has evolved and we now have automation, and rightly so in some respects it does a much better job. but the old timers taught me rules of thumb and tricks of the trade that i use daily to cross check what the FMS puts out. how invaluable is it to react quick to a last minute arrival change that requires definite action on your part to make crossing restrictions...all while the FMS is being programmed or computing?....how invaluable is it to know over the ocean way before the FMS does that you are going to have a map shift when you get back into OSV range and plan accordingly or how to check if an RTA calculation is off when told to exit a FIR at a precise time.....(kids, if you have no idea what im talking about, then this is where you listen and no talkie...hint hint)......rules of thumb that we are taught on our first times in new territory with very senior guys who are sharp but about to retire.....

a military guys pipped in with his 2 cents about a "love for what you do". he was quickly shot down with "have you walked a mile in my furloughed and conscessionary shoes"? these guys are both right! i count myself fortunate to truly love what i do, and the military guys need to understand that they will never be furloughed or out on the street with no money. likewise, they endure risks of life and being captured and detained and with little pay as compared to some civilian jobs, while us civilians will never come across that.

We all have our opinions, and we all have our share of the injustices to endure. there are some old greedy guys that give an RJ pilot comutting home hell.....and that is bullshyte!!!! and there are some RJ guys showing very little if any respect to guys that have blazened trails for them. these guys learn in a nice warm classroom what some old guys in early jets found out on the line with pax on board!!!

my hope is that in the future all walks can come together with a bit more understanding of the "other side" before weighing in (possibly tragically ingnorant-like) with their 2 cents.

like I said some guys need to be pushed along as their individual health indicates while others are at the top of their game and sharper than most of us. until we have a definitive way of deciphering between these two, unfortunately this debate will go on.

Like antoine de saint exupery said: "when a man dies, a world dies with him"
....when a sharp old guy is forced out, decades of experience goes with him, yes he does open up a spot, but i for one would like for him to be able to stay for as long as he can to share more of what is in his head.
lets face it, we all one day will face our last flights.....and for those who truly love to fly would you like it to be under their current circumstances, or under your own?

for the record, i have 3 furlough letters and 4 uniforms hanging in my closet at home. I have flown corporate, airline and heavy cargo so i too know the pain and frustrations of the industry.

Last edited:
737Driver--Excellent post. Too many people here hate their jobs. I still love the flying (I just hate the associated B.S.).

This is greed by both sides. Either way, it'll cost someone money. If you're looking for what's "true and right", you've gotten into the wrong business. TC

Hey, 737.......it's a miracle that we all survived those 59 year-olds when their 60 year-old superiors retired. Close one. Shudder to think that there are 55 year-olds in left seats, too. I'll buy a few stories from the baby boomers, but I'm sick and dam tired of hearing that the "kids" can't do it as well as they can. The generation that shouldn't "trust anyone over 30" has turned in to the generation won't relinquish control to anyone under 50.

These old guys that were flying paying pax with a couple hundred hours back in the 60s don't trust someone with thousands of hours now to do the same thing. Why is that? Once again: I don't buy the "because I'm still better than you are" routine.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back